maureen

Sep 16, 2002
I have a 1999 kdx 200 owned since new . I am getting a light electrical shock but not constant thru the brake & clutch levers . Since the handle bars are still mounted in rubber cones I thought it must be comming from the kill switch . I replaced the switch and am still getting shocked lightly. Can anyone help ?

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
does it do it when the head light is on or off. when the healight is on your output is is around 12 volts which is hard to feel, check you light switch too

maureen

Sep 16, 2002
I had removed the headlight and replaced it with an mx number plate .I also siliconed the conections so they would,t corrode. It does'nt do it on smooth flat ground or when the bike is just idleing. I feel it mostly when the front end is compressing on the face of a jump or hit a real rough spot on the track. I only feel it for a few seconds when it dose it.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd look @ the light switch. also look at the wire that goes around the steering stem on the frame.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...you might have cut/frayed a wire on kill switch...it happened to my this yr....after a crash kill switch wire got pinched on clutch lever, but couldn't see it cause the wire is incased in a plastic cover...cut open the plastic cover to properly check the condition of the wires, then cover with electical tape....good luck.

maureen

Sep 16, 2002
I had removed the headlight switch at the same time I had removed the head light. I just checked the kill switch for damaged wires by opening up the plastic harness as sugested . I did't find any damage on either wire or the switch. Something else must be shorting or grounding out somewhere on the frame and maybe arcing from the botom triple clamp to the bottom washer on the handle bar mount. The rubber cone bar mount nut and washer is only about 1/32 of on inch away from the clamp. I thought because the bars were mounted in rubber the juice could'nt have come from the frame but it does look like the lower handle bar mount washers could be hitting the bottom triple clamp on rough trails.It looks like I am going to have to look at all the electrical system to find the problem.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
You might want to check your grounds. Sounds to me your hands are acting like a ground for your kill swtich?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Don't count static electricity out. I had a similar problem of occasional light shocks through the levers. It drove me nuts until I realized that it only happened when I was wearing one particular pair of riding pants (MSR Rage).

maureen

Sep 16, 2002
Static is something I would have never thought of . I do have a couple of pairs of evs shorts, and thor socks. I don't always wear them. I am going to wear them the next couple of times I ride. If I get shocked I am going to change out of them and get right back on the bike (I only ride on a private track so changing on the spots no problem.) It will be a lot easier to replace my shorts or socks than ripping my whole bike apart. I will let you know next time I ride. P.S. Thanks to everyone for your input!

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
The headlight was one of my first thoughts reading this thread, but if you are wearing gloves and have rubber grips, I don't think there would be any way to feel 12 volts from the lighting circuit. Oops - I see that the shock is coming through the brake and clutch levers, not the grips, but still; through the gloves. If it is in fact coming through gloves, it must be ignition, not lighting. I'll am curious to hear a report on the potential for static too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom