Getting the plug out

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Has anyone here figured out a way to change the plug without removing the tank and everthing else??

Also I have been reading ALL these posts on Jetting but I still dont quite get it.

I am running 32:1 here in the UK in VERY varied weather but it smokes ALOT when I look behind. I am running Silkoline fully synth oil

I still have the airbox lid but i think the front pipe is aftermarket with the stock silencer that had been chopped about (by previous owner)

I believe the jeting is TOTTALY stock with the clip in the 3rd position. The bike seems to ride without any noticable probs

cheers

Lee

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
If you're talking about the sparkplug - don't know of any other - you do not need to remove the tank etc, get the correct spanner / wrench, some parts dealers will supply a plug wrench with a knuckle, this mqakes it real easy to install and remove.
Do not overtighten the plug.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
r6demon said:
I believe the jeting is TOTTALY stock with the clip in the 3rd position.

I am confident this is the source of the smoke.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
remove the plug from the right side of the motor, just above the pipe.. use a 13/16 open end/closed end, or a ratcheting one. Use the wrench to pry off the black cover thing, and then just use the wrench to loosen. Its a pain because of the little movement

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I remove the plug for the left side of the bike with a plug socket that has a hex head on the top for a 17 or 19 mm (don't remember which one) open face wrench. Only thing you need to remove is the plug wire . this is on an H series bike not sure if its different on a late model bike.

motoxdude

Jul 6, 2004
I just pop off the black wire with my hands then use a needle nose pair of pliers to take out the plug. thats the only way i have been doing it

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Your bike not come with a plug wrench? Mine did, it works like a champ from either side. The wire will come off without tools, and the wrench makes quick work of the plug.
32:1? Most full-syns you can run up to at least 50:1. I'm running Bel Ray H1R (full synthetic) at 40:1 (with proper jetting) and it runs great. I used the same oil at 50:1 on my old ATK 260.

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Right I am going to give these tips a try tonight whilst prepping the bike.

I am also going to bite the bullet and try running the old girl at 40:1 and see how that works out!!

thanks guys!

PS someone said runing the clip in the third from top is bad? Where should it be on this model?

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
As John said above...there is a plug wrench supplied with the bike when new. It has an open top that makes changing the plug a breeze on or off the trail. I'm sure you could get one from the dealer.

Chris

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…