KDX220: Oversize Clarke Tank and Spark Plug Removal

SpudRider

Sep 22, 2008
I recently acquired a 98 KDX220, which is my first 2-stroke motorcycle. After researching a bit I discovered two things about my bike. :nod:

1) I didn't receive a spark plug tool with my bike.
2) If I get the proper tool, I should be able to remove the spark plug without removing the seat and fuel tank from my bike.

Therefore, I plan to order a Tusk Ratchet Spark Plug Wrench from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

After examining my bike, it appears I can remove the spark plug by reaching under the left radiator shroud, and pushing the radiator hose out of the way with my hand. Even though I have small hands, it's still a tight squeeze to gain access to remove, and install the spark plug boot.

I currently have a stock, green fuel tank, but I am considering purchasing a clear, 3.6-gallon, Clarke fuel tank. Will installing an oversize, Clarke fuel tank make replacing the spark plug even more difficult? If not, how does Clarke get the extra 0.7-gallon capacity with the oversize fuel tank? Does anyone have a photograph of a KDX220 with the oversize, Clarke fuel tank installed?

Spud :)

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I have a '98 KDX with oversize IMS tank and never remove the tank to change the plug. I never really thought about it being hard to get too. You should have a 2stk watercool wrench for sure. The ratchet wrench may be hard to get over the plug.
The oversize tank will be taller, a little wider, and a little lower on the petcock side.

SpudRider

Sep 22, 2008
mideastrider said:
I have a '98 KDX with oversize IMS tank and never remove the tank to change the plug. I never really thought about it being hard to get too. You should have a 2stk watercool wrench for sure. The ratchet wrench may be hard to get over the plug.
The oversize tank will be taller, a little wider, and a little lower on the petcock side.
Thank you. I agree; I think I might be better off choosing a thin-walled, spark plug wrench. :nod:

Spud

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
I have an 04 200 with a IMS and stock tank. No trouble getting to the plug with either, but to my surprise, I had to grind quite a material off my Fredette riders wrench in order to clear the head stay, and sit flat on the sparkplug.

I agree with mideastrider, the ratcheting wrench may not clear the stay.

Stock KDX wrench works fine, but a little "stubby".

ExeterXCSP

Oct 29, 2005
I put the black Clarke 3.6 gallon tank on my 04 KDX 220. Spark plug access is the same as with the stock tank. I think the lower portion of the tank is the same as the stocker. The only difference I could see is the upper portion is slightly taller and slightly wider. When you go to re-install the shrouds you'll notice they fit a little different but it's hardly noticeable. In fact unless you're looking at two KDX's side by side you probably wouldn't even know it's a different tank. The only proof that I have that it holds more gas is my buddies KDX goes onto the reserve 5-10 miles sooner than mine does. That may not seem like much but it sure beats walking 5-10 miles if you miscalculate how far it is back to your truck. I just like the little extra insurance when I'm out riding alone.

Top Bottom