Girly Gear or Dude Threads?

Jun 17, 2008
Hello! I'm new to these boards & I must say great place you all got here!

As an lady racer, I am more fitted towards the maximum room of the male line of gear, but have often wondered:

Is the girl gear good? You know, does it hold up well to abuse? Feel comfortable? Flow well? What about the washing machine?

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2007
Really, it is all made out of the same materials, and has the same construction as the guy's gear. The main difference you will find is color and cut.

My fox 180 pants were pretty comfortable, until I put on a few more pounds...

They held up to all my goon rider crashes quite faithfully...

As far as fit and flow, your best bet is to find a shop and try some on. They say they make them more woman "shape" friendly, but I am not totally sure about that? Maybe I wear my jeans too low? I did feel a little like they fit like the stereotypical "mom jeans" since the waistline was pretty high. The website said that it was lower...but again, I didn't have the right size, and only tried one brand...

I do know that pink gear does make you stand out at the track...and most of the time, guys will flock around pink gear...

Let us know what you find out!!!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I used to wear Fox women's gear a long time ago and it did hold up. I have been wearing the MSR women's gear for about 5yrs now. It has held up really well and is pretty comfortable. It has all held up in the wash and is always hung up to dry. I wear it on the track and in the woods. It has held up through my spectacular woods crashes. The ones where the trees reach out and throw me against them so that I slide down cartoon style...

The only complaint I have about my MSR is that the pants are a little on the short side and I'm short! But I figure it's in my boots anyway so it doesn't really matter. My pants sit right where I like them and don't ride up too high or too low and the don't make my butt look weird. The guys gear rides way too high on me and doesn't look right. I was happy when the gear companies started making girly gear.

Definitely try on all kinds of gear though, it all fits different.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
justalonewolf007 said:
I do know that pink gear does make you stand out at the track...and most of the time, guys will flock around pink gear...

Let us know what you find out!!!
one of Spider's friends found that out but then again everyone backed away when they saw she was a dude :)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I too have been wearing the MSR Women's Gear since 2004 and I love it. I typically end up on the ground at least once per ride and it has held up great. I put it in the washer, and then dry it on delicate, and it's great. I love the fit, the rise is a tad higher than I like, but it's riding gear, not a fasion statement.

I also like the fact that it's available in more than just pink and baby blue.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
The girly gear makes my butt look too big :whoa:

Nov 7, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:

The guys just get pissed when they get passed on the track by pink, purple, or baby blue gear :laugh: I tend to wear guy's gear...they can find out that I'm not a dude when I take my helmet off after I beat them (except for my husband yelling "Go Sweety" when I'm on the track). Truthfully, my butt's too big for girl's gear :( I did find some baby blue Fly gear last year.

Apr 30, 2007
"Go sweety" that is too funny!!! :)

Same with mine I'm beginning to find...I am having fairly good luck with the Thor Static gear though so far...

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I had one set of Fox Women's 360 gear when the stuff first came out (maybe '00?), absolutely loved the color scheme, it was Yamaha blue, navy blue, and yellow. But the threading and piping started coming loose in less than a season. I personally didn't really like the tighter fit of the jersey, tight in the sleeves/cuffs, and the overall slim cut felt hotter than mens jerseys, because of restricted air flow. I also wasn't a big fan of the fit of any Fox pants back then, as the back of the waist always seemed stiff and huge, despite the size of the pants... like you could stick a beach ball inside the stiff back waistband! And the pants would pull down from long motos or gripper seats. So in 11 years, that was my first and last attempt with Women's gear.

Been wearing the Answer mens gear since 2003 and I love it!!! I've tried all four lines of their mens MX gear, Alpha and Alpha Air (top line), Ion (mid-line), and Syncron (bottom line), and it has all been super comfortable. The mens small jersey is roomy, but fits just right in the arm length. Plus most jersey materials are vented and light, with nice air flow. The Answer pants (all lines) rock, because the waist has front and side adjusters, and stretch expanders, so you get a perfect and comfortable custom fit in the waist. The legs also fit just right, with the perfect amount of stretchy and expandable panels in the right places, not too loose and not too tight. Plus the pants are generous in length, and the cuffs on the pants and jerseys aren't restrictive or bulky. Since the mens stuff fits so awesome, I haven't tried their women's gear just yet.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
My good luck pants are men's Fox 360s. I like the extra knee room and the heavier material. But I probably get a better walking fit with Thor's womens phase pant but it's not a working fit. You will have to try different brands on for the right feel for you.

motoxgurl47

Dec 31, 2007
Women's Gear

For three years I have worn guy's pants and jersey. I had nothing against them at all. They were rather comfortable actually. I wore the Thor Phase. Just last year I switched over to the women's Thor Phase and I'm in love. To be honest, I hardly felt a difference in the pants. It was only the jersey that personally felt more durable for a women. I would experiment with different varieties of riding gear. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the women's Thor Phase, though. It's awesome. Best of luck :)

DrtBikeMomma

Jul 6, 2009
Girly Gear is a must! Face it... this is a man's sport... it's dirty, muddy, exhausting and it hurts! So when the girls are there... LET 'EM BE SEEN!
I have the Womens FOX 180 and love them. They have held up well with the washing... hang dry them.
Cant wait to see the new 2010 gear!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…