firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
If so, hit "back" and don't worry about it.

If not ...

I don’t know about you guys, but I know that most of my female riding buddies are not fans of pastel shades. Looking at the 07 riding gear, it looks like nearly all the manufacturers have dropped any color offerings besides pink, powder blue, purple, etc. MSR does offer a “silver” color scheme and Thor a white and maroon one, but they both contain WAY too much white for real trail riding.

I don’t know if this is wanting to have my cake and eat it too, but I really do prefer the fit of women’s gear—at least the pants—and a few years ago, you could get it in blue, red, yellow, gray, black.

I know there’s probably lots of women who like pastels, and I don’t think the companies should drop their “girly” color offerings. But I do wish they would give a CHOICE of at least one non-frou frou color even if it’s gray or black.

I also think most people are going to agree with me. So here’s what I propose: I looked up the e-mail addresses of the manufacturers. I want you guys to write them a letter explaining how they could improve their color selection. If we flood them with responses, maybe they’ll listen. I know most of us bitch about the colors, but bitching to each other isn’t going to change anything.

I don’t want to type up a form letter for you guys to copy and paste, because unfortunately they carry less weight than an individually written letter. Still, if you dash off even a few lines on how much you hate pink and baby blue, maybe they’ll perk up and listen.

Thanks gals!

E-mail addresses of manufacturers:
bige@answerracing.com
tech@oneal.com
info@thormx.com
customerservice@foxracing.com

Below, an example of what I am sending. Again, do NOT copy this; use parts of it you like, but please, write your own.

To whom it may concern:

I am writing in regards to the color selections in the women’s line of gear.

I realize that many women like the pastel colors you offer, but I argue that many more do not. Most of the riders I talk to and ride with would prefer a more neutral color, and I agree.

I see that most manufacturers are offering pinks, purples, baby blues or a white combo for the 07 gear selections. I urge your product designers to add a darker, more neutral color: Gray, red, navy blue, orange, green, yellow. Not all women like pastels, and for those of us who ride in muddy climes or places like Utah and Colorado with a lot of red dust, we have a practical consideration as well. Those pale blues and pinks and ESPECIALLY white all stain horribly.

When women’s gear first came out, before any of the big-name companies even offered it, color selections were red, blue, yellow, purple, gray. None were light colors. Then when Fox, Acerbis and MSR jumped on the bandwagon, there was blue and yellow, blue and red, gray and black, etc. All of which were well-cut, fit the feminine form better … and did not have flowers, cursive script or pastel colors on them. I have some of these early offerings I am preserving since I will not buy the latest, trendy, over-feminine designs.

I like to look nice as much as any other RIDER, male or female. I also appreciate the more comfortable and flattering fit of women’s gear, specifically pants. However, I do not want to wear pastels—and there are thousands of other female riders who feel the same.

Many women riders, especially the more serious and those who race, won’t buy women’s gear specifically due to the color choices.

I would suggest keeping the pastel colors, but adding some more choices for the rest of us.

Thank you,
Sharla Sikes

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I was thinking the same when I was looking at the '07 stuff myself. I also really like the fit of the women's riding pants. The guys kind of turn into "mom jeans" on me...or make my butt look really long...guess that would still be "mom jeans" lol. I'm not into pink,purple, flowers, or stars. I'm 24 not 14 or 4...I want women's gear, but in darker bold colors. Stuff that doesn't show dirt stains. Too much white does not work on the MX track either...
I'll send out an e-mail too Sharla.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Sharla, it is so good to see you here!

I like pink, lavender, and pale blue....but NOT ON MY RIDING GEAR. I dont even like my gear to match, lol.

Tracey, you are always killin' me with the Mom Jeans thing :)

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I agree completely. I really like the blue and yellow gear fox had when the women's gear first came out....everything now seems to be pink or powder blue which I am not a fan of. Hopefully by the time I am back in the sport again they will have the good colors back.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I agree Sharla! I will certainly shoot off some e-mails to the manufacturers today!

My '05 (I think it's '05) MSR Gear is Grey/Black/White - it's perfect. I have some older MSR Rage gear too in the red/yellow/black color scheme and I like that too.

When I'm not on the trails I'll wear pink, purple, baby blue - but not when I'm riding!

Great post Sharla! I'm with you 100%!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Sorry, but you won't be able to count on my 14 & 11 y.o. daughters' support. Good luck; choice is ALWAYS good! :cool:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
All sent. This is what I sent:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to you as a concerned female dirtbike enthusiast and as a representative of other female dirt rider’s everywhere.

Having reviewed the offerings for your 2007 Line of women’s gear, I noticed that the gear is only offered in very “girlie” colors. I am writing today to inform you that in the future I am hoping to see less “girlie” colored gear. In the past I have been able to purchase gear in colors such as grey/yellow/red/black and black/grey/white, which I was very pleased with.

I am strictly a trail rider and not a motocrosser and I tend to get very muddy out on the trails, one riding area in particular that I frequent is an abandoned coal mine turned dirtbike park, with very dark grey dirt/dust/mud. The large amounts of light colors, especially white, on the 2007 gear would seem to get stained and stay stained a lot easier than darker colors such as dark blue, dark green, black, and grey.

I hope you will take this e-mail into consideration when designing the 2008 line of gear.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Samantha

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Amy, Eddie, Schmem and I all hate it! Of course Eddie is allergic to Pink :laugh:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
GETMETOCA said:
Tracey, you are always killin' me with the Mom Jeans thing :)

:laugh:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey guys. Too many web sites to monitor all of them much, especially since I got into this Jeep thing.

Get anybody you know who rides to send it--and if you like pink, fine. I'm not campaigning to end it--just add CHOICES.

Also, cross-post this anywhere else you go; MXgirls, motodrive, motocross.com, whatever other sites there are. Your local sites too. I already put it on TT and KTMtalk. I don't have usernames anywhere else.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I sent my messages yesterday and here's a response I got back from Fox:

Samantha,

Thank you for your interest in Fox Racing. We are always happy to hear feedback regarding our products since this allows us to stay connected to our customers and their needs.

You've made some great suggestions and we will be forwarding your feedback to our design team for review.

Regards,

Fox Racing Team

:cool:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Sweet, too bad I am anti-fox...

Durrdy

Nov 10, 2006
New Gear

The Girlyz 2007 gear is available in a Black/Grey option (as well as pink and blue) for those looking for a gear that fits a women, but not too girly.

Check out the race gear page for all the color options.

I don't think you can get it online yet, just through certain stores.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Lets see.... hmmm, pastels, nopers! I might not like to many "girly colors", but I still like to match, or compliment my bike, and they don't do it. But if I was to get my niece gear, should would love it. Oh, and um..... Durrdy there is already a thread concerning that particular product in the forums, and most of us have voiced our opinions on the matter, and triple posting things is an uncommon practice around here. (i.e. Theres a reason for it too.)

Top Bottom