Going from 4 wheels to 2!! HELP!!!

Luke2424

Aug 19, 2009
;) Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6' 210
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? once comfortable on the machine very agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Trails, mountains, tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? since i was 6 on quads but only a bit on dirtbikes
5) Do you think you will race ? if i get good enough
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes!
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke... Suzuki or KTM, but open to suggetions
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? most all of them
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?$7,000
10) Do you live in California?no New Mexico
11) Your age?17
I would like a fun bike to ride on the trails, but something that kicks azz on the track i get agressive and i like to jump and wheelies and etectera. I have only rode a friends CR250 and i love it so im gonna go to 2 wheels! Help me!!

Thanks, Luke. ;)

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
With a $7 grand budget, your options are wide open. Go test ride some bikes. Keep in mind that modern day 4 strokes are high maintenance. KTM makes good 4 stroke motors, a guy here at work has ridden KTMs for years and raves about them.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
KTM is nice, but expensive compared to the Jap brands.

At your size, I'd go with a 450. You'd be fine on a 250 for a while, but you will certainly want more power pretty quick.

My brother is 5'8 165 and bought a 250f.. He wouldn't ride my 450 at all. His 250 was down for repairs for a while, and had to ride the 450. He can't wait to get his own 450 now.

Pick a color and go for it. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, however, they are so closely matched that you'd do just fine with any of them.

ethayer

Jul 31, 2009
Why don't you just go with a 2 stroke like you rode? Maintenance is cheaper, a 250 is plenty big for you, and its a bit more of a challenge to ride. Personally, when I rode a friend's CRF150, I was a bit bored, being your size, compared to my other friend's RM 250. I bought myself an RM 250 and I don't think I'll be outgrowing it any time soon. Look into KTM, Husqvarna, or GasGas if you look into two strokes, They are pretty much the most reliable ones out there and are great for trails while still dominating on the track. 2 strokes are way more fun to ride, in my opinion. Hitting that powerband and clicking through gears is alot of fun for me.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Kawasaki's are Excelent... of course im a bit biased because I have never owned any thing else ;) I love mine and it has been the most reliable bike I have ever seen.
I also would not count out twostrokes.. as mentioned before they are a lot of fun and easy to maintance.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
2strokesrock said:
Kawasaki's are Excelent... of course im a bit biased because I have never owned any thing else ;) I love mine and it has been the most reliable bike I have ever seen.
I also would not count out twostrokes.. as mentioned before they are a lot of fun and easy to maintance.

That is what I like to hear. Ihad a XR400 and was thinking 450R, but after reading how easy 2Ts are to work on and how much fun people say they are I traded for a 2001 KX250, bike is a blast. Hope it hangs in as good as yours. :ride:

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
You shouldn't have any issues with any of the Japanese brands (honda yamaha kawasaki suzuki) or KTM. After that i'd say it's more on an individual basis.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
There are certain models such as the KDX 220 that is a 2 stroke designed for the trail, but most 2 strokes are designed for MX racing. Many people gear the MX bikes down and add a "woods" pipe and so forth with much success, but at the end of the day, a 4 stroke makes a better trail bike in my opinion.

Top Bottom