upnorthbacon

Jan 28, 2005
I picked up an 01 yz250 about a month ago and came to the realization that although it's really fast, I don't think it's suited to my riding these days. The suspension is too stiff, the tank is tiny, and I want to plate it so I'm looking at buying a lighting coil, and headlights and taillights. So I put it up for sale and I'm also considering trading it for a kdx. So here's my questions. How far can I go on average on a tank of gas, riding single tracks and a few open sections? I'm guessing the motors must be fairly reliable since they've been around forever without many changes? Is the suspension way too soft, or can you ride reasonably hard without bottoming all the time? Is there anything else I should be concerned about or look for when buying one or trading? Also I'm in northern MI if anyone's looking for a yz ;)

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
I have been out for rides of 60-70 km and still had 1/2 tank of gas left.You can easily do a 3-4 hour ride, if not firther depending on terrain.The suspension is soft up front(which is nice for woods etc). Out the factory set up for about a 75kg rider. You can leave it like that if you do not ride too aggresively but can bottom out on bigger whoop sections(or jumps). Back suspension is fine for heavier riders.
Reliability is "out of this world" so no worries there!If you do need better front suspension you can always fit newer forks.
I have had many 250 mx bikes and am happy with kdx(with the usual mods though).Great bike you wont be sorry :ride:

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I average 25-27mpg on mine so far.
Don't worry about the suspension; urban legend has it that the front is too soft and the rear too hard...but for who?
I did the usual front and rear spring change and the #1 Kouba links on mine and couldn't tell enough difference to recommend any of them carte blanche'.
The KDX200 has been a yardstick for trail/enduro bikes since it was a 175, and you'll be hardpressed to find a better play bike. Ride it stock and see if you need any mods....you may not.

Mud

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Fuel milege will depend on rider, jetting and conditions; approximately 70 miles per tank is a decent ball park estimate for a 'typical' ride and rider.

If it is super muddy or sandy, you might only get 50 miles.

The problem with the KDX forks is the springs are too soft and there is too much high speed compression damping. You will notice the soft springs on jumps and whoops - if your terrain does not have these, its less of a problem.

The too much high speed compression damping is a problem on sharp hits from rocks and roots. If your terrain does not have rocks and roots, this is not so much of a problem.

The forks can be made dramatically better with stiffer springs and less high speed compression damping. This will improve performance on jumps/whoops and on rocks/roots.

Bottoming resistance for the forks is primarily controlled by oil level. This is easily tuned by the rider.

The shock is much better than the forks for most riders.

What state do you live in? The stock lighting coil is pretty weak and is hard pressed to power a DOT headlight, tail light and turn signals, but it may be adequate depending on your state's requirements. Some states require a battery.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
I ride Michigan single track, or sometimes faster ATV trails.

70-80 miles on a tank is common; I've yet to have to switch to reserve.

The front forks of my '06 200 were dramatically improved by a swap to '00 (or later) Honda XR400 springs ($55, shipped) and pulling a couple of the compression shims from the shimstack ($0.00).

Excellent playbike, excellent. Torque-y, and with a rev pipe really zings up top.

Top Bottom