Going to buy a dual sport... which?

dunndan

Jun 27, 2009
As per the instruction, I've filled out the survey!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'2 about 180lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Probably pretty darn aggressive once I catch on
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Probably everything... from accessing rock climbing crags in the woods to long hauls to mexico from BC
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Been on a few cruisers
5) Do you think you will race ?
Down the road I'd love to give the Baja a shot, and maybe the Dakar :yikes:
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I am probably going to do as much work as I can on the bike
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I don't really know the difference, explain?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I don't think so, I'll search high and low for anything
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
2-4 thousand (canadian)
10) Do you live in California?
I wish, although it's only a 12 hour drive down
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I would like something not-so-sluggish (peppy), won't kill me on those 12 hour rides to Cali, and is durable as hell. I would like a something over 500cc because I learn quick and will likely get bored of something with less

thanks for your help in advance!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
service honda 500af is what you need.
check the link at top left side

dunndan

Jun 27, 2009
I agree, that looks like one hell of a bike. But I couldn't help but notice it sells for quite a bit over my budget.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
dunndan said:
As per the instruction, I've filled out the survey!

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I don't really know the difference, explain?

Two strokes have a power cycle every revolution vs. every other revolution for a four stroke. This gives them about twice the power for a given engine size. Unfortunately they also need oil mixed in the gas to keep them running.

You won't be buying a two stroke if you want a dual sport bike as they don't meet emission requirements for street legal use.

dunndan said:
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
2-4 thousand (canadian)

There is a major disconnect between your budget and your stated use.....

"Dual sport" means different things to different people.

Some people buy a dual sport bike so they can ride their dirt bike the couple of miles from the trails into town to get gas and eat. The primary purpose of the bike is for off road travel and the bike is set up that way, hence the bike is not set up for long distance freeway travel. A bike in the 450cc range with long travel suspension and big knobbie tires. Something like a KTM 450exc.

Other people consider a dual sport bike something they can ride to the tip of Argentina. Mostly paved roads, some dirt roads and the occasional goat trail. If you are going to be riding that long on paved roads you are going to want a bigger engine, in the 650cc range.

You certainly don't want to be riding 12 hours on pavement and then trying to hit "rock climbing crags". Even if you started with knobbies you wouldn't have any knobs left after 12 hours on asphalt.

You aren't going to find much of a dual sport in the $2k range. $4k will find you something decent for the "mostly off road" situation but I wouldn't take it on a 12 hour road trip.

Rod

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you can probably pick up a used DR650 for 2-3k. That seems to be the mount of choice for a lot of dual-sporters, especially if you want to get in on the cheap. And there are so many of them out there that the aftermarket has lots of neat stuff for 'em, and they haven't changed in years.

hammer280

Jun 29, 2009
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Two strokes have a power cycle every revolution vs. every other revolution for a four stroke. This gives them about twice the power for a given engine size. Unfortunately they also need oil mixed in the gas to keep them running.

You won't be buying a two stroke if you want a dual sport bike as they don't meet emission requirements for street legal use.

There is a major disconnect between your budget and your stated use.....

"Dual sport" means different things to different people.

Some people buy a dual sport bike so they can ride their dirt bike the couple of miles from the trails into town to get gas and eat. The primary purpose of the bike is for off road travel and the bike is set up that way, hence the bike is not set up for long distance freeway travel. A bike in the 450cc range with long travel suspension and big knobbie tires. Something like a KTM 450exc.

Other people consider a dual sport bike something they can ride to the tip of Argentina. Mostly paved roads, some dirt roads and the occasional goat trail. If you are going to be riding that long on paved roads you are going to want a bigger engine, in the 650cc range.

You certainly don't want to be riding 12 hours on pavement and then trying to hit "rock climbing crags". Even if you started with knobbies you wouldn't have any knobs left after 12 hours on asphalt.

You aren't going to find much of a dual sport in the $2k range. $4k will find you something decent for the "mostly off road" situation but I wouldn't take it on a 12 hour road trip.

Rod
Especially Canadian, 4000 usd = 4700 Canadian currency.

VT-Rider

May 23, 2009
I bought a 2006 XR650L with <2000 miles, Daves Mod, aftermarket pipe & jets, bunch of sprockets, etc. for $3000.

I'm thinking of a bigger tank, but the bike is working out fine...

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I would inform myself about motorcyles if I were you, especially before traveling half way across North America on one. That sounds like a really bad idea to me, until you can get alot of time in the saddle. People with a little bit of cruiser experience dont normally jump into dual sport feet first as you are suggesting. I would suggest talking to people (in person) with riding experience and test riding a few bikes at a minimum.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom