going to buy a KDX

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Ok, the bike is a 97 and had a 220 in it. the cylinder was damaged bad so the owner put in a 200 motor from a 99in it. the pics of the bike show its in very good condition. what should i check on the bike to make sure I'm not getting myself a money hole?

heres what i'm checking for. advise otherwise if you think i'm in left field.
:::::::::::::::
its gotta kick over after a minimum of 3 kicks when cold. one kick when warm.(guy saids it has 50hrs on rebuild)

going to check the plug. im told it needs to be a BES-18, 19, or 17. anything else means its not jetted correctly

check for spooge

head/triple clamp for looseness

check rad fluid and airbox
:::::::::::::::::::

any help would be appriciated

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
That particular motor takes a B8ES plug, if it's hotter it probably just means the jetting has not been messed with, and the same thing goes with spooge. Not nessesarily a bad thing... just means you will have to jet it correctly, $25 in brass at the most. The kicking part is subjective too.... Just check for abuse and I can almost guarantee the head stem and swingarm bearings are dry, comes that way from the factory. But just ask him if he tore it apart and greased them. All these are points for reducing the price of the bike. Check the gearbox fluid for milkiness and check the compression. It WILL make noise while running... this is the most common thing noted by all KDX riders...sounds like a rattle.
I hope this helps and don't be afraid to ask any other questions... that's why we are here! Good Luck! :)

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Heh, yea a buddy of mine said not to worry if it sounds like a diesel. :)

The owner said the topend was redone last year, late summer I believe. He said there's about 50hrs on the rebuild.

I forgot about the tranny fluid. Thanks!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Gobs of stuff.....

1. Rotors grooved? Any pad left?
2. Wheel bearing slop (you should detect NO movement side-to-side).
3. Rear suspension (touching rear wheel to ground..no 'tic' or slop).
4. Steering head (Already noted. Check for 'snick' on lock to lock).
5. Swingarm (no detectable slop side-to-side).
6. Final drive condition. Include a look at the lower guide.
7. Air filter clean?
8. Lights/switches work?
9. KIPS. Check at least for ok manual operation.
10. Choke stays up when you pull it?
11. Rads ok? (no sign of leaking. They are expensive!)
12. Wheels true? Spokes at least there?
13. Kick lever ok? Should be snug, but move smoothly.
14. Is this with the 200 carb? Or still the 33mm 220 carb? You want the 35!

There's a short list.

Good luck.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
So what is making the rattling noise in the KDX? My unrebuilt 1998 sounds terrible at idle, but everyone I've spoke to says it's normal. It seems to me that anything that's rattling that much is probably wearing something out!

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
welp, i bought the bike! i love it so far! just wish it would stop raining here..ugh

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Cool.  :cool:   Now that you've got the bike...

A group of us are going riding next Saturday at Wayne National Forest (Nelsonville, Ohio).  You are welcome to come along.  We should have room in one of the trucks or trailers.  Several of us on KDX's.

This would be a good chance for you to pick up some tips on the bike.  You can compare how your KDX performs with ours.

It'll be fun - we can make fun of you and tell you what to do!   ;)

Drop me a line if you are interested.  osuwe@woh.rr.com

I sent you a PM too.   :thumb:  

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…