tclossey

Jan 1, 2002
I'm putting Race Tech Gold Valves on my 2001 KDX 200. I modified the compression valves as specified in the Race Tech directions with the gold valves and proper shim stack, but the directions seemed to me to be a bit on the brief/incomplete side for a relative novice. They do not speak to the valve in the cartridge. It appears to flow oil directly through a check disk on the down stroke and dampen through reverse bending disks on the rebound. Do I just leave it alone? It's too late to call their help line and I was hoping to go ride this weekend...

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
tclossey --He's right, that is the rebound valving, but not 100% right - Dont ignore it. The rebound valving is too "fast" on the 220 and causes the front end to wash out [especially if you install stiffer springs] I scrounged 3 shims from each of the discarded stock compression valve stacks and added them to each rebound stack. [ They're thinner so 3 compression shims = about 1-1/4 rebound shims] Remove the rebound valve just like you did the compression valve, add a few shims and loctite it back together.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
The "check-valve" that you are refering to on the back of the rebound piston is the mid-valve or "active" valving (moving thru the oil). The KDX fork is a very simple cartridge design. If you want to keep the bike up in the stroke with-out going stiffer on the springs, you can build a shim stack to replace the check-plate.....requires some post spacers to be able to set the "float"( how much the shims move before they start to flex) or bleed.

Actually I haven't had any of these apart so I don't khow exzactly what you need to build a mid-valve in them but the above is a generic discription of how it should work.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Guys,
On the KDX your going to need to put a whole new rebound piston in it, the stocker is not going to be workable as it is the old linear style valve. Also with out the rebound adjustment, I'd don't think I'd recomned a valve change unless your going all the way. The system is really sensetive, without the ablity to control it over a wide range condtions. I think you'll find your slow or fast an unacceptably large number of times without a clicker.

BR,
Jer

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Eric,
The LV is a inward deflecting shim stack/piston. It works off a bleed and then effectively only offers one valve area combination. So the graph would have one broad knee.

BR,
Jer

Top Bottom