efivecoat

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2002
Gomer, Bruce and Bryan: How about a Manchester ride on 1/31 and 2/1/03? I was thinking of going down on 1/31 riding that afternoon and riding 2/1, coming back that night.

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Thats a defionate possibility. Bryan was saying on the way home from TNT Weds night that he was ready to make another trip to Manchester.

I'll check the calender and see whats up. The only thing that might possibly come into play is that the weekemd of 2/15 is the dealer show in Indy and I need to save my coins for that. Thats just to neat to miss!!!!

Bruce

Sickboy

May 10, 2001
Hey does anyone know if the hunting season is over there yet? I'll probably be heading to Manchester on the weekend of the 18th-19th if anyone else goes, I'll be on a beat-up looking 99 cr250 with black radiator shrouds, #332.

Rob

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Doesn't all hunting end on Jan 1st?

We've got about a half dozen hunters on the property we use for our H/S track and they have to clear out on New Years day.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
what type of whoops are we talking here? Is it southwick/millville type whoops(deep rolling) or short stubby whoops? If so, Bruce do you or anyone else have directions?

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
I imagine if you look hard enough you'll find every type of whoop known to mankind in that forrest.

The last time we went (and the only time we have been to ride, we went years ago to watch a GNCC there) we had quite an ordeal getting there and getting ready to ride. We started riding about 9 or 10 in the morning, and by 3 that afternoon we had all we wanted.

There are 3 loops and an old style MX track to ride. We started off on loop #1, the shorest one, figuring to get warmed up. There is a milage sign at the half way mark, Bryan and I stopped there to catch our breath and get some water out of the camelbacks. I remember making a comment that it was going to be a loooong day, 'cause the #1 trail is only 2 miles long and we were sitting 1 mile out and had already seen more whoops in that brief time than I have seen in the last 10 years.

Ooooh my legs, arms and back burn just thinking about it.

I've got directions in the RV, but someone will probably post them before I get a chance too.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
LoL thanks Bruce. I dont know if I'll get Dave out to that one,but I'd like to check it out sometime. I don't know if Dave will want to Row that Big Red XR back and forth all day;) I love roller whoops, just not mx whoops.

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
Tell you what...

There are a couple of sections of trail that run close to and beside a paved county road. We stopped as we came out of the woods and were surveying the situation.

We decided that it would fun to see if we could keep up with the traffic on the road while blasting down these whoop infested straights. We each took our turn waiting on a car and then trying to run it down.

Now here's the part where I'd love to tell you that we got the bikes up on the top of those things and were skipping along the tops at or above highway speeds. The problem is that would be an outright lie. Bryan obviously came the closest to doing it, but all he could manage to do was get on top of the whoops for about 50 yards or so and then the front end nosed into one of those whoops and things got ugly pretty quick. He didn't fall, but he got the old mans heart rate up for a bit. I, on the other hand, made a gallent effort to actually apply throttle through the first three gears. But just as the bike was beginning to settle into a rythum my big a$$ decided it wanted to play to a different tune and the three of us (me, the bike and my backside) got into the darnedest tank slappers you ever saw. Feet flying one way, bike going the other. I don't know how, but I managed to save it, and then went hunting for lines on the outside of the trail... (ouch).

My only gripe about the place is that there is no camping allowed. We rode down the night before and had to find a wide spot that we could park in for the night. Then had to find and go to the ranger station (it's not on site) to get our permits, before going to the riding area. I'm sure if we knew our way around a little better it wouldn't have been such an ordeal, but for some out of town newbies it was a royal pain in the butt trying to do the right things.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The whoops are the naturally occuring, rolling kind.  Shouldn't be a problem, Bryan.

As far as directions:

I-77 South
Southeast of Columbia, take 378 east
Go 27 miles
Turn right on 261 (there is a light there)
Go 4 miles to town of Wedgefield (don't blink)
Go another 5-8 miles, shooting range is kind of hidden off on the left, shortly after the crest of a hill.  This is where you get the permit to ride.  I think it is $5 per day or $25 per year.
Go another 2-3 miles and bear right on Rimini Road.
Track is on left about 3/4 mile down Rimini Road.

All trails start and end at the track.  If we work this out, we'll find a decent place to spend the night nearby.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Cool let me know Gomer sounds like a cool place to ride. I'm probably gonna be in va. the weekends of the 18th. and 25th. But if ya'll go after that I'd love to come.

Sickboy

May 10, 2001
You mean to say all those whoops are natural?? I thought they were some sick forest rangers idea of a good trail. Anyone know if that MX track is still decent (last time I was there was in September when some guys had just re-done all the jumps, and they had not yet been chewed up by the ATV's, it was nice...)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
All of the whoops are natural, except for the ones that are actually Volkswagons with a little sand thrown over them. :confused:

I believe some work has been done to the track since then.

kxbeastrider

Nov 23, 2002
If you are one of those sick and insane motocrossers that love hugh air. Sorry, this is not the place for you. All the jumps are table tops and very small ones, low flying ones. But if you want to learn how to ride the rough stuff and rail the crap out of berms and through saand every were. This is your ticket! I personaly liked the place, other than the constant woops in the woods. But its a good work out.
-bryan

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
So whats the word guys, is anyone gonna go? Me and Dave have pretty much decided we're goin. Its the only free weekend we'll have for the next month:)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
It is possible (nothing definate) that by 2/1 the trails will have been worked on with the SWECO. If so, it will be a blast.

I'm on call so can't make it that weekend.

Ivan

Stumpy

May 31, 2002
I hate to do this to y'all, but the sumter enduro is that sunday(2-2-03) and the trails and the track will be closed to the public. Come on and ride in the enduro anyway. Go to www.setra.org for info.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
SERMA puts on one helluva event!! I have ridden their HS a few times and it is great! They lay out a fun and tough course. I hear the enduro is even better!

I won't be doing it thisyear but I may be doing a couple other Enduro's later or next season.

Ivan

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Anyone up for Manchester on Saturday? I was thinking about meeting Sickboy down there. The whoops have been calling my name.

Actually, I forgot that I still need to replace my gas cap...vent tube broke off. Don't know if I can get one by this weekend or not. Gas caps aren't universal are they?

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom