Status
Not open for further replies.

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
BunduBasher said:
and you have no idea what you are talking about :coocoo: - Irwin was into saving crocodiles not killing them - even the crocs mourn his death, at least with him around they stood a chance - Irwin was against croc hunts and helped put a stop to them !
You don't need a guy like Irwin to do that. In Florida in the 70s the gator population was in serious decline. They were put on the endangered species list and prohibited from being hunt or their skins/body parts sold. Within a decade the population rebounded so well that they practically exhausted their food supply and decimated the Everglades deer population to near extinction. Now the only way to protect the gators and their food chain is to allow them to be hunted for a specific period every year. All these solutions came about without any intervention of a guy like Irwin or a program like Crocodile Hunter. It was the bonafide researchers and zoologists out in the field working in veritable obscurity that came up with the plans necessary to save the alligator.

Go back and reread my posts. I alluded to the fact that Irwin was probably a dedicated naturalist. There is no debating that. My responses concern the how and what of his form of naturalism, not the why.

Bill Haast has risked life and limb to not only further the understanding of snakes, but to develop methods to save people bitten by venomous snakes. The risks he took were in the name of science and benefit mankind. The risks Irwin took were unnecessary and did nothing but raise Irwin to the status of a celebrity. It's good that his antics brought with them greater exposure to the plight of animals, but because of the theatrics Irwin's personality often overshadowed his message. People did not tune in as much for the lesson on animals as to see what crazy stunt he would do with them next. The consequence of this is that any presentation that does not aspire to such theatrics will likely have a hard time finding an audience. It makes it that much harder for serious naturalists and zoologists to present information if they choose to show wild animals the respect they deserve. Creatures are exciting on their own, for the most part. We should want to learn more about them simply because they surround us and, in some cases, outnumber us. Why does there have to be an outrageous level of showmanship involved to gather our interest? What does that say about us as a society?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Would you have that same attitude about a doctor or a dentist? How about a lawyer? I'm guessing there are some vocations where you'd insist on seeing a degree first before allowing them to serve you.
No doubt, but this is another topic we can take up while on our PCs that we can more than likey thank Bill Gates the Harvard dropout for, or Thomas Edison who finished 3 months of education ;)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I figured this thread to be 6 pages of RIP's and Godspeeds. Not this sh--. :|

Thanks to those who f'ed this one up...and you know who you are.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
bsmith said:
No doubt, but this is another topic we can take up while on our PCs that we can more than likey thank Bill Gates the Harvard dropout for, or Thomas Edison who finished 3 months of education ;)

You'd be better served thanking a bunch of PhD researchers who worked for DARPA, since they built the Internet, not Gates.

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Green Horn said:

What a world this would be if nary a differing opinion or perspective were allowed to intrude into your little corner of Nirvana. I wouldn't want to live there, but you go ahead. Sorry I don't fit into your neat, little box. :cool:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
bsmith said:
Bad analogy since, as everyone knows, Bill Gates invented nothing.

Hampo

Sep 7, 2006
Comon guys were all mates were on this forums cause we love riding. Some people have bad opinions of steve and ofcourse the medias's gonna spit out a bunch of rubbish and ofcourse other people in the proffesion will be jealous. The truth is its over now hes gone and it very well might of been his own fault , but i seriously doubt he tried to wrestle it again more mdia trash.

Us australians know how he truly was, a true aussie fun loving guy who cared about what he did and wanted to spread it hopefullly thats what he will be remebered for

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
to be fair Bsmith didnt say anyone invented anything, i thought he was implying those folks were very successful without the education

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
ellandoh said:
to be fair Bsmith didnt say anyone invented anything, i thought he was implying those folks were very successful without the education
Oh, I got the inference. I just thought putting Bill Gates in the same class as Thomas Edison was a reach. Edison was a legitimate inventor, Gates was an unabashed opportunist. BTW, I liked your analogy. Brevity is the soul of wit, and you nailed it. :cool:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
RADRick said:
What a world this would be if nary a differing opinion or perspective were allowed to intrude into your little corner of Nirvana. I wouldn't want to live there, but you go ahead. Sorry I don't fit into your neat, little box. :cool:

No... it's just you are doing the equivelent of going to a funeral and calling the guy a prick and you don't even know him.

If you don't like the guy start another thread.

This one is "Good Bye Croc Hunter" not, "I don't have any respect for anything in life so I want to be an ass"

Ivan

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
truespode said:
No... it's just you are doing the equivelent of going to a funeral and calling the guy a prick and you don't even know him.

This one is "Good Bye Croc Hunter" not, "I don't have any respect for anything in life so I want to be an ass"
Once again, mischaracterizing my comments. I never disparaged Irwin the man. What I take issue with were his methods. Like I said several times, he did do a lot of good for the cause of naturalists and animals. I just wish he could have done it without all the theatricality. Time will tell whether those who try to emulate (or imitate) him will destroy his legacy or improve it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I just wish he could have done it without all the theatricality.
And like I said, without it, no one would have paid attention. I can't believe you can't grasp the concept. Do you for one second believe Marlin Perkins would have a chance in hell of being on TV these days? Do you for one second believe anyone in the mass market will give 30 minutes of their busy life to some boring scientist/zooligist? Right or wrong, that's how it is. Either accept it and adapt or quit and belly ache about it. As a "journalist" I'd think you'd have a grasp. Or maybe you just write the filler no one has time for?

Knowing you will argue a point to death, for the sake of not being corrected, I'm out. My words are for everyone else. Your opinions can't be changed.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Green Horn said:

My thoughts exactly :bang:

RIP Steve and Thank You

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Okiewan said:
And like I said, without it, no one would have paid attention. I can't believe you can't grasp the concept. Do you for one second believe Marlin Perkins would have a chance in hell of being on TV these days? Do you for one second believe anyone in the mass market will give 30 minutes of their busy life to some boring scientist/zooligist? Right or wrong, that's how it is. Either accept it and adapt or quit and belly ache about it. As a "journalist" I'd think you'd have a grasp. Or maybe you just write the filler no one has time for?
So basically, you're a proponent of change for change's sake? When the boundaries have all been obliterated, what kind of world will we have then? I hope not to be here by then.
Knowing you will argue a point to death, for the sake of not being corrected, I'm out. My words are for everyone else. Your opinions can't be changed.
I guess you prefer people who have jelly for spines and no conviction for their beliefs? You're right, that's not me. Peace, out. :cool:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
RADRick said:
So basically, you're a proponent of change for change's sake?

I'm a proponent for you starting your own F*&^ing thread!

You ruined this one already.

I don't care what you said but you have chosen to piss all over this thread when you could have started your own instead.

Ivan

elliot-cr133

Uhhh...
Jul 4, 2006
dang. must every thread that involves RADRick end in a fight? the thread instantly changes. from a steve irwin to a prick at a funeral. very immature, that should embarrass you coming from a 15 year old.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Hey RADRick I do enjoy reading your posts.You have a way of causing people to look at issues that most people would rather not look at.Irwin may have used theatrics on camera to gain attention,but you use pen and ink for your own form of theatrics.So my thought is how about you step outside yourself and critique yourself? Go ahead be relentless.You would be a mans man if you did. Let's say a three page treatise on your faults and what your dark side is and how you use your own inner weakness to appear strong?And speaking of our shadow side,perhaps you can enlighten us on how what you saw in Irwin is really about you and parts of yourself you don't like?Strong judgements about others are really about what we see in ourselves.So step up.Make it interesting.Gain my respect.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
truespode said:

Ivan

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom