Status
Not open for further replies.

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
XRpredator said:
Dude, Treadwell was a nutjob loonball and probably borderline sociopathic. Irwin, whether showboating or not (that's up for debate), was at least animated and (seemed to be) genuinely excited about sharing his knowledge about wild animals.
I actually have more respect for Treadwell (just barely). He appeared to truly care about the plight of those bears and he wasn't looking to exploit them for the sake of TV ratings. He also shared much of his work with schools and spoke personally to kids about the bears. He was just as passionate about teaching people about them. He just didn't want to relegate them to performers like Irwin did with his animals. Regardless, the legacy that both of them have engendered may cause others to suffer the same fates.
On a side note, the more I read about the incident, the more I wonder that if he'd maybe left the stinger in he'd still be with us. One of the first things we learn in first aid is when there's a puncture wound of some kind, leave the item in the body until it can be removed by a doctor.
Yeah, when I heard he immediately pulled it out that was my thought, as well. The common response when something sticks you is to pull it out without thinking. Perhaps more formal training as a zoologist might have prevented such an involuntary reaction, but I doubt it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RADRick said:
. . . Perhaps more formal training as a zoologist might have prevented such an involuntary reaction, but I doubt it.
Yeah, zoologists know all about emergency medicine.

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
XRpredator said:
Yeah, zoologists know all about emergency medicine.
Of course not. I meant that more familiarity with such animals might have made him less likely to react instinctively and given him the time to think about it before simply yanking the barb out on reflex. Maybe...maybe not.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I did a little reading up on sting rays and found that they have a defensive reaction when they are buried in the sand and you happen upon them in a manner that will cause their reaction of a reflexive type (what I would call a spasm)which jerks their tail up in a powerful manner.The same would happen if you stepped on one in shallow water.I read that Irwin "boxed" in the sting ray causing it to react.This seems to me to be common knoweledge of those kind of people who study them.My thought after I read all this was Mr. Irwin doing something he should have known better than to do? How do you box a sting ray in a million cubic miles of ocean?I hope he was not hoping to showbaot a little as some said.They are also called the ***** cats of the ocean where you have seen divers hitching a ride etc.The only place you do not want to be is right on top of one where their tail can swing up and get you.Also from what I have read they are not able to swing their tail from a side to side motion to sting you.If anything is learned it is to be careful around any wildlife that has potential to kill you.(not that I can see myself deep sea diving in the near future)And yes I did enjoy his passion for wildlife and how he taught the wonder of it all.And yes I do think he pushed the limits and could be overconfident of what he thought the animal would not do.If anything here my thought is somebody close to him did not help him pull the reigns in on testing those limits.Certainly the producers would not confront him because what he did brought ratings in.I am truly sorry for his wife and children who now have a huge void left by his absence.And from what I gather one of his daughters saw the whole thing unfold and saw her father die.My heart goes out to her on how she will have to deal with reliving that memory over and over for the rest of her life now.I wish God granted do-overs.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Im still in shock that he is gone, but definatley not forgotten.. I liked his enthusiasm for teaching.. Thank You Steve

Hampo

Sep 7, 2006
To the guy who said he was a showboater and did it all for money. Im an australian and i live in queensland. Over here he was a legend throughout the animal concervationists he was a legend. He did not showboat , if youve ever seen the earliest footage of him from just his small camera his father gave him for his birthday he did the exact same thing , he just loves saving crocs so much. If it looked like he was cruel because of the way he captured them it surely wasnt. Crocs are super human compared to us, they are tough and lethal thats how they have survived for millions of years, what steve was doing was perfectly normal and compared to other zoos captures they are brilliant. Most zoos use drugs to sedidate the crocs, there are side affects sometimes even killing the crocs steve and terry loved them so much he didnt want to use drugs and was strongly against it. Now from what i understand he was big over in USA for his wild nature and crazy catch frazes i dont know bout USA but over here it was the way we were all taken in and captured by his love for animals, he made it fun, it was like watching a dramatic climax , this wasnt on purpose this was just the way steve was and just the way capturing wild animals is. He didnt attend an acting school and when doing a show didnt think about showboating.

Second of all he didnt do it for the money, yes he had a very popular show which made him filthy rich. But asoon as he got those cheques they went out of his pocket to animals. He doesnt live in a fancy mansion weich he could have like most celebrities. He lives in a house at australia zoo much like a typical ozzy house. The masses of money were spent buying land all around the world particularly ones about to be knocked down which have a large population of animals. He spent it on australia zoo and unlike alot of corrupt zoo's didnt just buy animals for the attendance, he bought them or rescued them for the good of the animals. The zoo was run so that you could see the captures and the demestrations. The whole sting ray incident i dont know ofcourse theres going to be news reports about it being steves fault and most likely it was a fatal error , also steve did have the proper training but with animals you just dont know. Doesnt matter anyway no matter what the media sais we wont know what really happened. So R.I.P steve you have paved the way for many future generations and have definintley changed the way people view animals. We will miss you mate.

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
RADRick u are an absolute tosser mate. He has done more for wildlife and has achieved more than u will ever do. The amount of animals that he has saved is astronomical. He loved doin what he did and was not a showboater. He was simply a very, very smart man, unlike you.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Marlin Perkins?! Dude I grew up watching WK like many but putting him in the same league as Steve Irwin is sort of silly. EVERYBODY knows Marlin was always tucked safely away while "Jim" did all the dangerous stuff.

I really think the only people that should be judged by their TV/Film personality are Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam since that's the only place they exist. Steve Irwin should be known for his actions off the camera as well and if you include that I believe you'll see he was concerned about the amimals.

RIP Steve.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
MrLuckey said:
I highly doubt that leaving a poisonous barb in longer would have been a better solution.
Since it went through his heart he probably would have lived another what.......15 seconds?

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
RADRick said:
Forgive me for being blunt or seemingly insensitive. Those of us that were raised on Marlin Perkins and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom know the difference between a naturalist and a showboating yahoo when we see one. Jim Fowler was a naturalist. Steve Irwin was an opportunist. With all the attention given today to people who push the envelope of common sense, safety, and respect for animals, Mr. Irwin is just another senseless example of our increasing arrogance. I can see him and Timothy Treadwell sitting on a cloud asking each other what the heck happened. Animals are unpredictable. Who'd a thunk it? Make no mistake, Irwin was an entertainer always looking for ways to improve his ratings and viewership. While he may have done a lot to bring animal concerns to the public, he probably did just as much harm by making it seem cool to be so reckless when near them. Irwin was not a researcher looking to study and understand wild creatures. He was a charlatan looking to make them and himself into TV stars and there's nothing noble in that. Alligators and crocodiles the world over are feeling cheated today.

Many people thought Mr. Haas in Florida was crazy for handling (and being bitten by) so many venomous snakes, but at least his sacrifices led to antidotes that help other snake bite victims. He's still alive, by the way. Irwin's departure leaves little more than a lot of people saying, "I told you so!" along with a hole in next year's TV schedule.

RadRick, you are truly clueless man.

The way he was on TV is how he was in his real life. It seems that you and Germaine don't know this. :| He wasn't exploiting animals and being a nut just to get ratings, he was excited with life man. Then people like you have to criticize him for that? Shame on you. You need help.

You have to make animals seem interesting or exciting to get general people to watch and be intersted in them. Which then makes them interested in keeping them around. That is one of the first and main steps to take in order to conserve the animals, get humans to want to help them. He did more for animals than most people in the world. He made $20 million a year but lived meagerly just to pay for his zoo, animal conservation efforts, and his employee payroll.

I loved that guy, totaly awesome bloke. His death was a pure accident. He wasn't trying to wrestle the damn sting ray.

I heard he pulled the barb from his heart, that was a critical mistake. I am sure he didn't know that it was in his heart but if you have something pierce your heart it is best left alone until you can get to emergency medical facilities. If you pull out the object you leave an unsealed hole and blood leaks into the sack around your heart and constricts it, then you are done. The top forensic doctor in the USA or maybe the world said he would have been fine if he didn't remove the barb and made it to the hospital very quickly. The poison is doesn't even really affect humans.

He is probably with his mom and suey :cool:
RIP

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
A friend of mine worked in wildlife conservation here in the USA for about a decade.

The unanimous opinion of him and his colleagues was definitely not favorable of Irwin or his TV show.

Your opinion may vary.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
He also shared much of his work with schools and spoke personally to kids about the bears. He was just as passionate about teaching people about them. He just didn't want to relegate them to performers like Irwin did with his animals.
You don't think the Steve shared his work with schools and spoke to kids about about Crocs?
We are talking about a person who from the age of 9 was capturing and transplanting Crocs for the animals safety. He was a true hero in my book and his actions will speak louder then the words of his critics.
I guess some people think chasing animals with a 4x4 through the Africa Savannah is a better form of animal husbandry?

As per the stingray, theres a few conflicting reports yet the Australian authorites reveiewed the tapes and said he did nothing wrong. End of discussion, let it go, are we sideline quarter backs and back seat driviers, and Americain media more knowledgable then the authorities that reveiwed the tape?
The problem is from the minute this tragedy happened the American media instantly talked about the baby Bob incident, too close to penguins issue, and that he must have cornered and scared this poor docile animal.

As a family that has many animals, his show was something that my kids looked forward to, not beacuase of his "showboating" but because he made learning fun!

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
A friend of mine worked in wildlife conservation here in the USA for about a decade. The unanimous opinion of him and his colleagues was definitely not favorable of Irwin or his TV show.

His wife worked in wildlife conservation here in the USA for about a decade and had at one time up to 300 wild cats she was caring for. I think her opinion was different ;)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
A friend of mine worked in wildlife conservation here in the USA for about a decade. The unanimous opinion of him and his colleagues was definitely not favorable of Irwin or his TV show.
Let's see, your friend was probably making about minimum wage, Irwin was extremely popular. Pick anyone that is sucessful in their occupation and there will be MANY in the same field that will will trash them, typically those less succesful. Did your friend wear knee braces by chance? :p

The guy understood what it took to get people interested in his passion. He was damn good at it. It's safe to say that Irwin did as much as anyone on record to bring "Animals" to the population.

Besides all that, he liked dirt bikes and was a member here. :cool:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Might I suggest all of you that think I'm off-base with my opinion of Mr. Irwin to get acquainted with an organization called NANPA and others that do great things to "bring animals to the people" without turning them into performers or exploiting their natural behaviors. I acknowledge Irwin's love of nature and that he was probably motivated by an honest appreciation of animals. But additionally he was an egoistic showman that was well aware how his antics could influence ratings and his stature in the world. It doesn't matter that he used his position for what he felt was the good of the animals. The fact remains that he will be more remembered for the spectacle of his life and personality and the way he died than for the causes he supported. What some have described as professional jealousy among his peers is mistaken. Irwin was very knowledgeable, but he was not formally trained in zoology or anthropology nor was he an animal researcher. Those who are are not his peers. The work those people do does not involve putting oneself at risk in the name of entertainment. There are ways to reach people that don't involve death-defying stupidity. Unfortunately, our media-centric world is making such a fuss over people like Irwin, Blaine, Angel and others who use high drama to capture the fleeting attention spans of viewers in an over-connected, information overloaded world, that guys like Irwin are basically forced to raise the bar in order to garner enough ratings to stay on the air. But make no mistake, whatever altruistic intentions Irwin started with, the producers that made him a star were focused squarely on the bottom line. So don't sit there lamenting the loss of Steve Irwin, it was inevitable given his lack of respect for the animals he dealt with. His viewers knew that and are duplicitous in it by encouraging his brand of showmanship. In fact, many watched simply to see when his luck would run out. To say differently is to ignore that reality. If you want to lament anything it should be the fact that as viewers we've become so enured to this kind of entertainment that danger is almost a requirement to get an audience's attention. The shame is that Irwin's legacy will not be his love for animals, but in the copycats he spawned and others that will follow.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
RADRick said:
...In fact, many watched simply to see when his luck would run out...
That, my friend, is the only reason I continue to read any of your posts. You need to chill out man. :nod:

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Irwin was very knowledgeable, but he was not formally trained in zoology or anthropology nor was he an animal researcher
So uneducated people need not apply in such a safisticated working environment? I guess growing up and working your whole life in a Zoo is not as good as reading a book written by another person who watched animals through a Telescope :bang:
Give me a person with hands on real world experience over a book smart person any day! I had profesors profesing their knowledge who never worked in the field! That statement is complete horse ****!

But make no mistake, whatever altruistic intentions Irwin started with, the producers that made him a star were focused squarely on the bottom line.

Again, Irwin took a Zoo from 8 acres to 60 acres. He bought thousands of acres of land to for wildlife preserves, he lived and worked in the Zoo and was the founder of the Wildlife Warriors. Producers and Animal Planet maybe after money, however Steve's portion went right back into helping the wildlife!

In fact, many watched simply to see when his luck would run out. To say differently is to ignore that reality

OK, I'm a veiwer and this thought never once entered my mine. This show brought the family together! I will agree I though it was out of line to have his newborn in the pen, yet he got more attention then Micheal Jackson hanging his out a window or Britney driving down the road with an infant in her lap! As the saying goes, it's lonely on the top, and everyone is trying to bring you down.

I will aggree that the wannabe Animal hosts try and duplicate his program, and they do it for all the wrong reasons! But Mr Irwin was the real deal!

As a parent I can only hope my kids use Steve and Terri Irwin as their role models instead of a Paris Hilton or any Drug addictive profesional Athletes!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
RADRick said:
So don't sit there lamenting the loss of Steve Irwin

I will lament his loss.

I have always had an irrational fear of snakes. I couldn't even watch them on TV or see them in the zoo.

Steve's show helped me get to a point where I can toss them out of my yard with a rake instead of getting the shotgun.

I have traded e-mails with Steve before he became a member on DRN and he was down to earth and gave me advice about snakes to help me past my fear. He had a kean understanding of the delicate balance between population growth and animal conservatory.

He gave me PERSONAL attention... some nobody from across the pond. Yeah... that is the actions of an egoist.

I am saddened by his death and will keep his family and friends in my prayer.

Ivan

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Okiewan said:
Let's see, your friend was probably making about minimum wage....

No, actually he was making pretty decent money, but whatever. You have your opinions and the reasons for them, they have theirs and the reasons for them.

But having heard the reasons behind their views and seeing the work they did, I tend to favor their opinion over yours.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
RADRick said:
Steve Irwin was an opportunist. With all the attention given today to people who push the envelope of common sense, safety, and respect for animals, Mr. Irwin is just another senseless example of our increasing arrogance.

Irwin was not a researcher looking to study and understand wild creatures. He was a charlatan looking to make them and himself into TV stars and there's nothing noble in that. Alligators and crocodiles the world over are feeling cheated today.

and you have no idea what you are talking about :coocoo: - Irwin was into saving crocodiles not killing them - even the crocs mourn his death, at least with him around they stood a chance - Irwin was against croc hunts and helped put a stop to them !

Steve loved the outback, wildlife, his family - he cared about conservation - education was his aim not glory or ratings - get a clue :think:

read this http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/cnna.cousteau/index.html?section=cnn_showbiz

.... how amazed I was at how dedicated Steve was and how much he really loved being out there, being out in the wild with those animals and also how much the people around him cared for him and loved him, and the high esteem in which his entire team held him and how much he loved them.

They were ... his family, and I have never seen a closer group of people that were more dedicated to each other, and he was so humble and just part of the team. - Philippe Cousteau, grandson of famed ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,435635,00.html

No doubt this unusually experienced wrangler (he got a python for his sixth birthday) saved the lives of hundreds of animals while working in Queensland's crocodile relocation program. That Dr. Leo Smith, an expert on venomous fishes at the American Museum of Natural History in Manhattan, allowed Irwin the accolade of being more a biologist than just a television personality is no small thing. The value of naturalists is admittedly hard to pin down in dollars, cents, and legislation. But if Irwin's rare-animal breeding programs at the Australia Zoo are succeeding, as reports say they are, then he might be said to have aided the survival of some highly unusual creatures -- canopy goannas, crested iguanas, and bilbies, for instance

Last edited:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
bsmith said:
So uneducated people need not apply in such a safisticated working environment? I guess growing up and working your whole life in a Zoo is not as good as reading a book written by another person who watched animals through a Telescope :bang:
Give me a person with hands on real world experience over a book smart person any day! I had profesors profesing their knowledge who never worked in the field! That statement is complete horse ****!
Would you have that same attitude about a doctor or a dentist? How about a lawyer? I'm guessing there are some vocations where you'd insist on seeing a degree first before allowing them to serve you. There's a reason why veterinarians go through as much if not more training as a doctor that practices on humans. A trained zoologist never loses sight of the fact that animals are unpredictable. Once you start thinking you know what they'll do and allow yourself to be in situations where you think you have control, you stop being a professional regardless of how much you may know about them.
OK, I'm a veiwer and this thought never once entered my mine. This show brought the family together! I will agree I though it was out of line to have his newborn in the pen, yet he got more attention then Micheal Jackson hanging his out a window or Britney driving down the road with an infant in her lap! As the saying goes, it's lonely on the top, and everyone is trying to bring you down.
I'm not agreeing that he got more attention for that lapse of judgment, but if he did it was perhaps because as a naturalist with so much understanding of wild animals he should have known better than to subject an infant to such risk. At least Jacko and Britney can claim ignorance as to their parenting skills. Irwin actually had the arrogance to defend his actions saying he knew the child was in no danger. If Irwin had to retreat suddenly because of an aggressive move by the gator and he stumbled over his feet and fell, what then? Many animals seeing their prey in a weak positin will attack. At the least, the child could have been injured in the fall. Irwin should have had enough sense to at least not allow filming of such stupidity knowing it could cause such an uproar. That he didn't speaks volumes about his lack of good judgment.
As a parent I can only hope my kids use Steve and Terri Irwin as their role models instead of a Paris Hilton or any Drug addictive profesional Athletes!
Well, there's something we can both agree on. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom