IslandDrive

Oct 23, 2005
Hey guys,

I am very new to this hobby, but I am learning alot already from this great site.

As for me, I am 5'11 150 pounds and am considering a 1991 Yamaha RT 180 as my first bike, as I am getting a deal from a friend. Does anyone have any info on this bike? I have never ridden dirtbikes before, but I am mechanically inclined and my family has been involved in the sport.

here are some pics of the bike in question.

http://www2.rapidupload.com/download.php?file=dl&filepath=79

http://www2.rapidupload.com/download.php?file=dl&filepath=81

http://www2.rapidupload.com/download.php?file=dl&filepath=82

if anyone has info, I would love to hear it!

Bigwheeler08

Oct 24, 2005
98 rt 180

I have a 1998 yamaha rt 180 for sale. Its a very good bike to ecspecially start out with, yet its got enough power for non rookies. If you are interested in it let me know, I have pics too.

IslandDrive

Oct 23, 2005
Bigwheeler08 said:
I have a 1998 yamaha rt 180 for sale. Its a very good bike to ecspecially start out with, yet its got enough power for non rookies. If you are interested in it let me know, I have pics too.

Thank you for the offer, but its too far away from me.

IslandDrive

Oct 23, 2005
Can anyone give me some input? I've never bought a bike before and Im not to sure where to get info on this bike (ive searched google to no avail)

Jul 25, 2005
you should get a kdx 220. it has amazing low end for a 2 stroke. more than probably more than any 4 stroke except for probably the 450s. it is light and low on maintenance and a lot of fun. I recomend it /

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i have a 82 KDX 175 2 stroke and it has NO bottom end whatsoever. i can barely pull a U-e without it just about to stall. thats with no clutch.

Jul 25, 2005
big difference 20 years of technology the kips valves and 45 more cc's makes. the bikes has its so called pull right off idle. will pull a wheelie in mid range. but you have to floor it. low end 1/4 throttle will lift that front end up instantly. and you can ride the wheelie without looping it because of the decrease in power in the upper mid to top end.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
At 5'11", 150 and no riding experience, I would suggest an entry level 4 stroke play bike to learn on. Something like an XR-200 range. That bike is a tank, will run forever with basic maintenence and should fit your size. You should list your age and what type of riding you plan to do. If you just plan on learning the fundimentals in an open feild, just about any playbike that you feel comfortable on will work.

Just pick a color and buy the newset bike in your price range.

Good luck, Steve.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
what kind of riding do you want to do?

if it's motocross, then a 4-stroke 250 would be my pick.

If its mostly trail riding then you can get away with something a little less expensive (smaller engine and suspension) like the 200 mentioned above.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
Dude, do NOT buy that rattrap in the photo. Find a used KDX 200/220 or XR 200/250. KDXs haven't changed since 1996, so deals are out there. A 1984 or better XR is fine too. The new CRF/TTR 230s are nice and mellow...I'd rather have an XR than a CRF personally, but I've got a '97 KDX220 in the garage as a spare for my inexperienced friends I want to take riding. My 19 y.o. sister learned on the KDX...she's 5'7" and about 115 lbs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom