good idea to NEVER ride with out helmet

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Never ride in shorts, either. Your knees are always the first thing to hit the ground.

Superbike riders crash harder than that all of the time and actually get back on their bikes to finish the race. Just because he wasn't wearing leathers and a helmet, he'll never be able to ride the same again.

Last edited:

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
Well I know my boy discovered why I make him wear full gear ( including the chest protector and the kidney belt ) he went full speed on his CRF70 and slamed the short jump ( a jump I use to practice hopping the bike over ) going the wrong way on the track. I told him do not go the wrong way. And he is argues about wearing all the gear.
Well he hit the jump and did a major discovery last thursday. I came around the turn and found him laying on the ground crying. he told me what he had done. the chest protector vents were fill with dirt and grass and what not. I remined him this is why he needs to listen, and this is why we wear the gear we do. He was very lucky. Now he listens and dosen't argue about wearing it. He's ok. We now have a sit down discussion before we ride and a reveiw after were done for the day. I support the helmet + the riding gear...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow what a cool blue foam helmet he got to wear around just because he was too stupid to wear one when riding. Idiot :|

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Despite his stupidity he's a very lucky guy, his head injuries are very similar to what my cousin suffered after rolling his car hitting black ice in the mountains in May 06. My cousin is still in a semi concious state.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I can't believe there were fireman, EMTs, & a film crew there participating and he was riding without a helmet ON PAVEMENT. Maybe this is inappropriate, but better it happened to him, "an experience stunt rider" than some kid that watched the video they were in the process of producing. I can see perhaps a farmer putting around tending his fence line with a utility quad not wearing a helmet, and maybe there are other similar situations, but riding wheelies on concrete on a sport quad without a helmet is evidence of brain problems BEFORE the accident.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Chili that's just down right frustrating to me. Your cousin was in a situation that there really wasn't a huge amount of circumstances under his control and he ends up like he currently is. Then on the flip side some twit that is stacking the deck against himself and he gets away with it in the end. It's just not fair.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
xsnrg said:
Maybe this is inappropriate, but better it happened to him, "an experience stunt rider" than some kid that watched the video they were in the process of producing.
That nailed it on the head the exact thing that I was thinking. He should be requierd to speak to others about the importance of protective gear.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Wow! With an helmet he could've probably stood up and pop wheelies again.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
CRASH39 said:
We now have a sit down discussion before we ride and a reveiw after were done for the day. I support the helmet + the riding gear...

That is good advice.

I have a picture of me and the boy in Parker AZ. The one who is to lead by example is not wearing a chest protector.... :coocoo: We never ride [now]without full gear~ even when just chasing after the boy... But, there I am "just that one time" :bang:

We talk about safety prior to the ride(we also pray for safe ride/landings :laugh: ).

I will probably show my boy this video-thanks for posting it.

Ken

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Im definitly wearing all my pads every time I ride after seeing that :yikes:

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
150rguy said:
Im definitly wearing all my pads every time I ride after seeing that :yikes:

I always have at first it was because my parents made me now it's because I remember some of others wrecks including mine the could have been really painful if it wasn't for protective gear.

Now you can't pay me to ride without my gear even if I'm in the back yard my knee shin pads are on along with elbow gaurds etc.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Youre back from youre vacation. How was it?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
My dad taught me at the very beginning to always wear and tie the helmet and never did I complain against his instruction. I know of a guy here, in Quebec, who played with his pit bike during a party and banged his head on ashpalte; he died.

Talking about helmets, did anyone hear about the Moose M1 helmet? It meets all DOT and Snell M2005 standards, is very attractive, and sells for only 139.95$. I seriously consider buying this helmet unless someone advises me against doing so.

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
I don't feel sorry for him......given the fact that it was a photo shoot for a video, and not even the producer(s) of this video had the balls to tell this guy he had to wear some safety gear - at least a helmet - in order to participate. Smart enough to hire EMT's, but dumb enough to let someone ride without a helmet.......the guy that got hurt isn't the only idiot in this story.

It's always a shame to see someone get hurt, but when they get hurt being stupid, I have alot less sympathy for them. That's why they say "Stupid Hurts"......

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
XRpredator said:
he wasn't wearing a helmet cuz quads r safer, duh1!1

:|

YEAH, I hear that from alot of quad riders who point the finger and say were the crazy ones. and there right :coocoo:

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
knowiam said:
...We never ride [now]without full gear..

I went on and added to the chest protector because when I did go down, there be some kind of rock or someing that would jab me or the impact was isolated to a single location wich put me down. got tired of that. since I wore it it the most so far is the wind knocked out of me. I plan to add elbow gards and knee gards..of course the ideal is to try not to crash...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You know what burns me up? They did that little documentary on him and his accident and never once did he say that he wished he had been wearing a helmet and how he would wear one in the future. :|

emo_angel1

Mar 16, 2007
ya dont forget your brain bucket (lol) last year in my 8th grade scince class we had a guy come in and he told his story about how he was riding a motorcycle and half of his brains where scattered all over the road... so ya that scared me a bit so i where a helmet if i go riding...

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The sad part is if he had not fallen and hurt his head this video would be shown and portray a cool quad rider doing tricks without a helmet ... a great example for out kids.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
yep, lifes a bitch, so wear a helmet! Pretty much. I sometimes take a ride up and down the block to fling the water off the chain and heat the engine to dry it off. I usually grab a old helmet I have on the shelf in the garage. I know a lot of guys how have messed themselves up while do that. None seriously, but hurt none the less.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom