Goodbye, Farewell, Auf Wiedersein my friends

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Well, I sold the KDX. It was a fantastic bike, and I will miss it tremendously. But, I bought a 2001 KTM 300 EXC today. I actually bought it from fellow DRN member "Tennessee Thumper". Mighty fine fellow, ol' Randy is. Great bike too. I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
New Member to the "Pumpkin Patch!" LOL!

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
I thought it was the other way around.Ditch the KTM (Kawasaki Training Machine) and get the KDX.
Have fun with the new Bike.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Great choice --You'll absolutely love it. Lighter than a KDX and twice the ponies - well, almost. For the money you have to spend to get a KDX "in the ballpark" you can buy the KTM ! . If I didn't have my trusty old KX for going fast when I want to, I'd have parted with the KDX. It DOES actually go slow better than the KX does.

cheska4

Apr 3, 2002
Congrats. You will love the new bike. I sold my '02 200 with PC exhaust, plus other goodies (I thought it was was pretty quick anyway), and picked up an '03 EXC 300. It's amazing what 50% more displacement will do. These KTMs are so SOLID it blows me away. That, and the boost factor is worth the extra cash. My only complaint is that it takes some real getting used to. After a 4-6 hour ride, my arms are smoked. Most of that comes from hanging on for life. The bike will come with the NZOH needle. Put a couple of tanks through it, then switch it with the NZOI needle that comes in the carb tuning kit. It moves the power lower in the rev range and really open it up. That's with the stock 175 main jet. I'm not sure of where you live (altitude wise); but quite a few guys are finding that it works well. Have fun on it. And do remember to keep a finger or two on the clutch.

dave

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Charles,

You're not really gonna ride that thing decked out in all your green gear are you? HaHa. Congratulations on the new ride. Take care.

Glenn

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I think that's 'NOZH' etc......

Might help if you go looking for parts......

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
A friend came up with "Kill The Man" after I looped mine out after landing a huge jump and while trying to get control, I cracked the throttle. Don't do that.... It hurts! :)

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Kawasakis Tow Me... Keep The Money...

I hope you priced parts like levers and pistons; make sure you're sitting down when you do.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Guess so. Levers are $35 unless you buy the super trick ASV ones which are $80. Haven't investigated pistons, but a Wiseco will go in mine regardless and they all cost about the same. Before you dog out KTM prices too much, call down to the local Kawasaki shop and get some prices. Those guys are crazy. $25 for a headlight BULB.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Do those 300exc's have 5 or 6 gears? Are they geared as low as the KDX? The gearing is my favorite feature of the KDX. 1st gear is like tractor speed!!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
OK, $70 for a pair of levers. I think mine might be a piece. (Brembo brake lever, Domino clutch.) At least the $210 pistons came with rings, IIRC. C'mon, headlight bulbs are like chains or tires, you'd never buy OEM. Kawi wants $80 to replace my broken headlight shell plastic. That's the one KDX plastic part not made by the aftermarket.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…