woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Matt - If there was a "hats off" Icon (you guys at DRN - consider that a request) I would have used it with you in mind!! Remember all the info you gave me about the KDX 250? If it had not been for you I would have past on this TREMENDOUS dirtbike!! I have a real close riding bud who rides a "big bore 280" cr250 that strongly encouraged me against the KDX - to heavy, down on power, old design ect...
After your (and others) encouragement I went/looked/rode and bought the KDX. It is stock except for the FMF Gold series pipe and silencer - and it DOMINATES!!
I just got back from a 2 dayer on it and without a doubt - it is a keeper!!!! I rode with my bud on his CR, another 93 CR250, an XR400 and an XR500. All very talented riders, all bikes setup for woods work!!
Let me remind you that I just came off that 85 XR350 so it was UNBELIEVABLE for me on the first set of whoops!! The stuff that I had to SLOW way down for I FLEW thru!! The stock suspention on this bike is AWESOME!! I cant wait to tweek!!
Drag racing.. The XR400 seems to develope the same horsepower as my KDX, until I hit the pipe. The XR500 - I have to use the pipe to pull away from him - Randy, the who owns the 500 could not believe that we could go side by side at 60 - both nailem and I could pull away from him on the back wheel!! Oh, by the way, 5 gear wheelies - NO PROBLEM ANY TIME ANY WHERE!!
The 93 CR250, pretty steady (gain 2 bike lengths thru the gears on him) pull away. He hit top speed and I sifted into 5th!!
now for the 98 CR250 - this was an AWESOME event for KADDY cause this was the guy that ADVISED me not to buy her!! Side by side all the way thru the gears, again until he hit 5th topend and then I had a gear left!!! When we got back to his truck he commented to me that he could not believe my bike! He said "You beat whipped me and you weigh 40 lbs more then I do" (I am 210 he is 170). I said yea plus I am running a lighting coil, have 2 more gallons of gas on board plus a fender pouch with tools, water and oil in it - go fiqure!! This bike is SO sweet!!
I am getting 22 miles to a gallon - really enjoying the BIG tank, carrying a 16 oz. bottle of oil in my fender pouch for refills (perfect for that long trips), stock lighting seems only adequate (I plan on searching for a 55 watt bulb to replace the stock 30!! Brakes are without a doubt fantastic!! Can do the backwards wheelies no prob! As far as the wide frame that everyone complained of back in the "beginning". Maybe I am fortunate to have come off from that XR but I LIKE it!! I put a new plug in her before I went north for the 2 days and again - nice not having scabs on the back of my hand!!
Of course I have lots of little things in progress now - tommorrow we go for "street legalization", I really need a new rear tire (think I might try one of those good ol Chin Shin 560's - I love to climb hills!! Alos need a front tire - might try a Bridgestone spikey (my only reason 4 street legal is rode crossing)?? Gotta cut my bars down to 29". Other then that Kaddy and I are now a team!!
Thanks to DRN, Matt90GT and all the rest hear on this forum!!
Sorry about the length of this but it ALL had to be said!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Count on it!! Thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Great deal! I really like the bike also. The WR tranny helps you pull on the CRs pretty easily.

The width, I am the same coming off a XR. About the same. If I get on a CR or CRF, I notice the width, but hey different bike.

What mods have you done to the bike yet?

Glad to hear a MPG figure as I have not tested it yet. But after 25 hard miles, I was down about 1/2-2/3 of a tank so that is about right on with what you found out.

Last thing, dont bother with the stock light. Go buy a UFO twinns or Acerbis Duals headlight like on my bike. It works so much better than any stock light. Unless you spend big money on a powerful HID or 100w system, they are the best bang for the buck. You just have to wire the lights in series and that will give you 35wx35w up front. Out back, I have MX rear fender so no light plugged in. if you do run a rear taillight, go replace it with a LED unit. The LED hardly takes any power, so that frees more up for the front lights. The stock stator is wound at 70w.

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Matt - I have done no mods to the bike personally.. It came with an FMF gold series fatty pipe and silencer, air box has been opened, barkbusters installed, highbend Renthals. Everything else is stock with only 1500 actual miles on her!! Motor has NEVER been apart. I am going to follow up on your suggestion to put the thinner KX head gasket on it,but, not until ring time :))
As I mentioned, I am going to put new tires on it (has a worn out 752) and I think I may try a 15 tooth front for fun!! It certainly pulls strong enough to handle the higher gear for some fast paced fun on the two tracks up in the North country!! It tops out about 75 right now but that is tached out - it would be nice to be able to run 70 up there in the open stuff!! Of course all the while keeping my stock gearing in the van - it is SO easy to change with that retainer clip design on the primary!!
I do have a few questions for you. The guy I got it from said one of the problems he had experienced was spokes in the rear. He had to replace several of them cause they "seized" around the threads and became unadjustable. I tryed to tighten a couple of loose spokes today and he was right - the stock spokes are almost unadjustable.. Is there an after market spoke that I should be looking at for replacements? Is the "obsolete part" issue a problem with these bikes for OEM parts? I am a "scavenger" at heart and do not mind having a few extra goodies in stock for my bikes. I recently read that it was not uncommon for this bike to take out a CDI unit once in a while. Would I be wise to watch the used bike yards in my area for an extra one? Will KX CDI of the same vintage work?
Do you have any experience with making the pivot points greaseable on the mono?? What is procedure for greasing the pivot (I should probably go buy a manual and stop bugging you) I.E. does the mono have to come out or just remove the pivot assembly??
I am also going to look at race sag this week. Suspention is great but Iwould like to tweek to my weight (210). Does the 100mm (4 inch) rule work ok? Any suggestions for adjusting the mono preload (setting sag) in an easy fashion? My front suspention feels great - what do you suggest, if any, that I keep my eye open for as far as different springs/changes to preload ect.
Any other little maintenance goodies that you or anyone else can pass on would be greatly appreciated!! No matter how small or insignificant please feel free to share!! Any spots that need sealing,grease more often then normal or the like PLEASE let me know!! This bike is about to get ridden (well maintained - but RIDDEN), by winter it will have 3500 on it (I am already at 1900 and it only had 1536 on it when I brought it home!! I do mean WOODS ridden - with all the water, mud, sand, dust, jumpin, climbing, roosting - PLEASE critique!!
Thanks again for all the help!!
The XR boredom is gone and the KDX RUSH is on...
Woodsy

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Well the first thing is to invest in some seal savers: http://www.sealsavers.com

For gearing I am running a 13/50 combo and really like it. Plenty of low end and still gets up to 72mph.

For the rear, my bike does not have the stock KDX wheel back there. It is a 19" unit off a KX bike of the year. I am going to replace both wheels eventually with new spokes. I am just going to spend the money on the Excel wheels and spokes I need then.

For greasing pivot points, use the search feature. It has come up a few times here. The weakest bearing is the lower shock mount. Inspect that frequently!

Any suspension info you need, check here: http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/suspen.html

Just be sure to grease all the bearings including the headstem units now. Also just replace the front and rear wheel bearings with double sealed units.

Like said, drop the stock headlight, get the twinns unit and I like the MX rear fender. Not an easy unit to install, but works perfect!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you use a 15 tooth front, you will have to remove the case protector. The sprocket guard will fit back on but does not protect the cases in the event your chain derails.

For dual sport rides, I used to run 15/48 on mine. First gear is pretty tall, but the tall gearing really helps at highway speeds and the bike has enough low end power to pull the tall first on all the gnarliest trails.

Overall, the stock 14 front is a good compromise, with a 13 tooth adding more snap if you rarely get above 40 mph and ride exlcusively woods.

If your bike has stock jetting and fork springs, it will be even better after you make a few changes to those items.

For rear sag, 100mm works fine. I tried less sag to help quicken the turning, but it seemed to make the back end harsh.

BTW, we mesured the gas tanks on both mine and my friends KDX250's and each held 3.6 gallons, not the 3.3 shown in the manual. With tall gearing and leaner than stock jetting, I have gone 100 miles before hitting reserve on a dual sport ride (almost all road).

Top Bottom