Gorr 05 YZ144 project is a success

SFO

Lifetime Sponsor
This thread makes the urge to buy two new yz125s just a little less resistable.
Still planning his/hers two stroke purchases before the ban.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
So what is the real final weight total?

marcusgunby

Lifetime Sponsor
I must commend you for the efforts you have gone to, to save weight- if i stayed off the pies i would loose 10lb easy and save money by not buying them;)

bedell99

Subscriber
I'm very impressed with the weight dropping. I wonder if the AMA will ever revise the rule for 125 weight limits?? I think the only way to compete against the 4's is going to be a weight advantage . Well done.

Erik

jake949

Subscriber
i think the ama needs to go to a percent under stock weigh in, say 3% then a 200 pound bike could way 194lbs. that way the bikes can keep getting lighter

DEX

147leeman said:
Here are some findings when I went to make this thing light.

Removed rr. brake disc guard - 2 bolts, rr. caliper guard - 2 bolts, cut tabs to the corresponding bolts off, countershaft plastic guard and replaced metal guard with shorter bolts, cut carb. drain tubes to be flush with linkage on stand, removed lower fr. brake line holder steel piece and replaced w/ zip tie (not the piece on the fork guard but the 2nd lower guide), removed tank strap, cut backside of airbox to be flush with the rear fender (causes turbulence of the air entering from the rear so I've read), removed the rubber cover off of throttle assembly.
Total of 16 ounces removed.

In no particular order:
Michelin M12 front tire + Michelin S12 rear tire -41 ounces
Cryo Aluminum clutch plates -8 ounces
FMF Factory Fatty -2 ounces (all aftermarket others were more weight)
FMF shorty silencer - 14 ounces
EK MRDL chain -4 ounces
Factory Connection alum. shock preload rings -2 ounces
RCS titanium shock spring - 10 ounces !!! I heard 2-3 lbs.???
GYTR titanium subframe on ****- 13 ounces
4 Ride Engineering Alum. Banjo Bolts - 2 ounces
Renthal ultralight fr. sprocket (the one w/ drilled holes) - 1 ounce
Renthal ultralight rr. sprocket 46 tooth (stock was 48 but the motor flew through the stock gearing) - 2 ounces
Tusk gas vent valve with shortest connecting tube to the gas cap as possible - 2 ounces over stock length tubing
04 Honda CRF450 Aluminum front brake line clamp assembly (two pieces) + 04 Honda CRF450 Alum. front axle nut - 3 ounces
Hammerhead designs alum. shift lever tip - 1 ounce
Made my own alum. brake lever tip - 1 ounce
Made my own alum. spacer (huge steel spacer is stock) inside of upper chain roller - 1 ounce
Lightspeed C/F chain guide - 2 ounces
Lightspeed C/F fork guards - 2 ounces
Racebolts titanium swingarm bolt - 6 ounces
Mettec titanium fr. + rr. axles - 12 ounces
Lockhart Phillips alum. bolt kit for misc. plastic bodywork steel bolts - 4 ounces (14 bolts used total)
GYTR titanium rear sprocket bolts/nuts - 2 ounces
GYTR alum. drain bolt - 2 ounces

Total lost off the bike 9.5 lbs.
This is some really great info. Can you list some of the prices of stuff to kinda get a bang for buck idea of saving weight?
I had heard to stay away from the shorty silencer on a 125 but everyone seems to be using them!?! Whats the deal? I believe it was suggested that a normal length silencer would add top end power while not taking away from bottom while a shorty would subtract from top end power and give very little on the bottom and mid. Did you use the FMF Titanium Shorty? Has anyone weighed any other tire combos? 41 ounces is quite a bit what about the Starcross Michelins? Did you look at any other chains before going with the EK? I am also looking to find a very light but tough chain to replace my stocker, I had the RK GB520MXZ3 in mind.Did the stock 2004 CRF 450 front axle nut fit on the stock YZ 125 axle or the Titanium axle or are they exactly the same and both compatible with the 04 CRF 450 axle nut? Man! that list of mods just makes me drool my wallet wants to keep my bike stock and so does my brain but I have always wanted a bike with all the titanium and carbon fiber doo dads. Your bike is definitly magazine project bike material. :worship:

Thanks for the support guys.

Steve125- keep me informed on your track and dyno tests. I'm ready to put this bike on my local dealer's dyno but I've never used a dyno and need tips prior to using it. I weight 162 lbs (down from 180 last year) and have been as low as 158 but I tend to get dizzy during my treadmill runs.

Marcusgunby- good money saving tips. Luckily I have a great discounts from my dealer or I'd be broke. I read and re-read all of your threads, especially your dyno runs - found that 05 yz125 run yet?

Dex-
I'm making a price list and weight loss ounce/dollar list as we speak....I got some free parts and the rest were discounted so I'm tracking the real prices of these parts. Also, I knew I was making this bike a project as soon as I bought it, so instantly I sold the new take off parts that were replaced and made a lot of $ back. For the tires, I kept all of dirtrider mag. articles which showed real weights and went from that. There were some comparable tires w/ similar weights but I've had good luck with the M12/S12 combo. Some tires added 2 lbs over stock. Between the tires, silencer, and free stuff removed the bike would be right at the 194lb limit. The Honda axle nut fit both the stock axle and mettec axle.

Studboy- right now the bike sits @ 187.4 lbs. all fluids no gas

If anyone knows more info. or parts I've missed then please say so!! Racebolts and Mettec have full bike titanium bolts(front suspension, rear suspension, engine mounts etc) that I'm purchasing shortly for just about every bolt on this bike. Aluminum washer are on the way to replace the steel ones. Found carbon fiber pipe hanger, head stays.

Anyone know of rotors that are lighter than stockers?
Topar and White Bros. used to make magnesium triple clamps but they stopped in 03 and can't find anymore.

Some experiences so far with this bike:
- this bike takes work to maintain...the aluminum body bolts and titanium bolts take prep and care.
- lightweight chains like the MRDL stretch, I'll go through a few in a season I figure. I was surprised to get a chain lighter than stock though.
- alum. clutch plates wear out faster and contaminate the tranny oil quicker than steels do. I change the oil after every riding day

Some people say I'm crazy, but this is one fun bike! :coocoo: :coocoo:

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
Leeman, all i would suggest is be careful with the Ti bolts- you are good to go on all the engine and body fasteners etc., but the linkage bolts and swingarm and axles are a pain- you have to keep your eye on them since they stretch, we have even had the linkage bolts snap before they were at the right torque.

Certainly sounds like a fun bike, if money were no object, i would be looking at the 2mm stroker also!!!! :)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
147Leeman's bike == 250F Killer.

marcusgunby

Lifetime Sponsor
147 i didnt find the dynos but KP has had another on the dyno since then-it didnt respond ot his pipe as good as other bikes, it gained no peak hp but it did widen the power.I will get these dynos in the near future.

DEX

147leeman said:
Dex-
For the tires, I kept all of dirtrider mag. articles which showed real weights and went from that. There were some comparable tires w/ similar weights but I've had good luck with the M12/S12 combo. Some tires added 2 lbs over stock.
the aluminum body bolts and titanium bolts take prep and care.
- lightweight chains like the MRDL stretch, I'll go through a few in a season I figure. I was surprised to get a chain lighter than stock though.
- alum. clutch plates wear out faster and contaminate the tranny oil quicker than steels do. I change the oil after every riding day

:
What Dirt rider has Tire weights? Anyone know where I can get some of these stats or if someone has the article maybe they wouldnt mind looking up the weights on a 2 or 3 different tires.
What kind of prep and care is required for the aluminum and titanium bolts? I thought the Quadraalloy coating on the Mettec bolts was supposed to solve the Titanium weakness problems.
Was the MRDL chain the lightest out there I was considering running the RK GB520MXZ3 or the Regina 520 RX3 but hadnt really looked into the EK chains but they are also available to me.
How much faster do the aluminum plates wear out compared to steel.

Was the shorty silencer you used the Titanium FMF one?
Would the standard length R304 Pro Circuit Silencer give any weight savings? You know what is cool is Ricky's custom Carbon Fiber silencer on his RM.

And for things you missed.... do you have a Wiseco forged Clutch basket? I was going to get an aftermarket basket just because I had problems with the durability of the stock one on my 85 but the Wiseco one is also lighter than stock I have heard because it is forged. Also what about aftermarket rims and wheelsets are they lighter than stock?

bclapham- thanks for the tip on the linkage bolts, I expect to be inspecting these important bolts on a regular basis. Luckily, here in Indiana our MX tracks aren't filled with the huge doubles and dangerous whoops. We're still kind of old school MX compared to other states and maybe that will take some of the worry out of the ti axles and linkage bolts being bent or damaged from hard landings.

DEX- I've got about six magazines for you that will help. (I'm at work and can't remember what months) One has the hardpack tires of many brands and they're weights, one with intermediate tires and weights, one with soft terrain tires and weights. Most of the soft terrains were lighter than the rest. They weighed the big bike back tires w/ 19" so the 125's will have lower weights and a slightly smaller difference in weights because they're skinnier. They also have the fronts and since they're the same size, the weights came out exactly to what I weighed them as. As for the other 3 mags I've kept, they have weights of pants, helmets, boots etc.

The aluminum bolts easily strip out or bend. The Ti bolts require some sort of anti-seize so they don't get stuck. I've heard of a few people bending Ti rear axles so I check the important ones so I don't have a disaster. With so many parts changed on my bike, keeping a list of stuff to check / watch is very important.

EK's MRDL has lightening holes drilled to reduce weight and I've seen many works 125's with that chain or a copy. Not sure of chain weights of other models, but O-rings do add considerable weight. The clutch plates have lasted about 4 practice days indoors for me. They were right on the service limit when I changed them last. The shorty silencer is from FMF, but it's not the Titanium one...I couldn't dropped some more weight there and may plan get one. I'm sure Pro Circuits shorty has similar weight loss. Haven't even thought of the clutch basket. Assumed the cast alum. stocker was lighter than the billet ones made, but I'll check into the forged ones weight. This bike comes with Excel rims, I've got some articles saved about after market wheelsets and weights. Excel wheel assemblies only are 1 oz. lighter...couldn't justify that price. Talon / Rad hubs are the same or heavier. Stock spokes are the lightest...Buchanon are 8 oz. heavier per wheel. Heavy tubes are just that, heavy...stock are lightest.

On a side note, the drive train weight was reduced dramatically (clutch plates, 2 sprockets, chain, rear tire, ti sprocket bolts/rotor bolts etc.) and the motor would rev too quickly. Add the 144 kit's power and the gearing definitely needed changed. More to come later....

DEX- Here are some of the magazines I've used so far.

July 2004 Motocross Action.....pant weights, helmet weights,
and boot weights.

July 2001 Dirtrider....boot weights

August 2001 Dirtrider.....hard terrain tires (front and rear) weights + performance

September 2001 Dirtrider......intermediate terrain tires (front and rear) weights + performance

October 2001 Dirtrider.....soft terrain tires (front and rear) weights + performance. All 3 tire shootouts by Dirtrider have many manufacturers like Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, IRC, Maxxis, Metzeler but since it was made in 2001 some newer tires won't be on there like Dunlop's 742 front.

DEX

No luck, I don't have much of a magazine archive and my oldest Dirt Rider is from 2003 I do have Transworld 2002 Buyers Guide but it just lists the prices of avialable tires.

Anyone know the wieght of the Michelin MS2s, MH2s, Bridgestone 601/602, 401/402, 201/202 or the Dunlop 756 RR, 756, 773, 739? I am trying to decide on a tire brand to run for next year for sand and hardcore mud races I am set on the Pirelli MT 410 but after experience with their intermeadiate tires (tires were only used for practice about 3 hours a day and after about 3 weeks every lug except for the very far side ones sheered right off!) I wont run any of their other tires.

I was leaning towards the Michelin Starcrosses unless the m12s and s12s are way lighter I think the Starcrosses would out perform them. They are the most popular tire in my area by far the only people who dont run these are sponsored by another tire company or are those people who continually replace their worn out tires with the OEM tires. Is it Dunlop tubes stock on the 2005 YZ 125 which you say are the lightest? I will order a couple sets of them for race days and some hardcore heavy duty 10 pounder tubes for practice.

bclapham

Lifetime Sponsor
147leeman said:
bclapham- thanks for the tip on the linkage bolts, I expect to be inspecting these important bolts on a regular basis. Luckily, here in Indiana our MX tracks aren't filled with the huge doubles and dangerous whoops. We're still kind of old school MX compared to other states and maybe that will take some of the worry out of the ti axles and linkage bolts being bent or damaged from hard landings.
Leeman 2 things-

1. with the Ti bolts, it wasnt from them bending, but rather than stretching- you torque them up and after a shortwhile, they seem to be loose again.

2. i was in Indy just last week, there might be an opportuntity for me there, nothing on the table yet, but i have my fingers crossed! of course, i love the old school tracks so that is music to my ears.