Got run over at the track last night....

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Went riding at a class at a track I hadn't ridden before last night. 2nd lap into the opening free ride, I took the slow lane into one turn (all the fast riders were taking the outside). There was a jump that spanned half width of the track before a table that spanned the whole width. The fast riders jump it and backside the table. The slower ones take the inside, miss that jump and just jump the table.

Approaching the table I got a little sideways, let off the gas a little and bam, got absolutely smashed by a guy who tried to pass between me and that jump neither of us went on. I had to be x-rayed today (no broken ribs fortunately, but a rib contusion) and he couldn't get off the track on his own. He was cussing up a storm at how rookie riders were ruining his vacation etc. I rode over to his pit after catching my breath to apologize that this had happened (though I feel like if you get rear ended it's mostly the guys fault in the back) and he was still po'd. I was expecting at some point to get a "hey it happens" type response but when he started dropping f-bombs again I just started the bike up and rode off. I guess I've been fortunate that this was the first a-hole I've had to deal with eh?

battles2a5

Jan 9, 2006
Man, I can sympathize. I had a similar experience skiing in the alps a couple of weeks ago. I was skiing through the bumps, minding my own business, and BAM!, got nailed from behind. I was looking ahead, not behind, yet this guy thought it was my fault.

That guy should accept the risks of racing- people crash, people get sideways, especially in the amateur classes. If he doesn't want to accept that risk then he shouldn't be passing so close.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
What a jerk.

Every time I get on the track I realize that an accident (that's what they are, nobody does these things on purpose) is possible.

About a month ago I was riding Cooperland during a practice day and they had lumped every one into two groups. Big bikes and little bikes. I was a little nervous because I'm not that great of a rider but I was trying to be aware of my surroundings and stay out of the fast guys way. On the back section of the track I was coming up on a stepup and right after it there's a bowled out corner. There was a guy in front of me staying to the inside so I went outside (there was no one behind me that was close) to jump the step up and rail the berm. Come over the stepup just fine and right as I start to corner (keep in mind I'm way outside), some guy flys in and tries to go outside of me and there's just no room. We tangle bars and somehow I go over the bars and look up to see a guy almost run over my chest.

The difference is I got up and made sure he was okay, we both apologized, shook hands, and kept riding. Even if I had been hurt, it wouldn't have ticked me off because that's just a risk I take everytime I go on the track.

Even a few weeks ago I was riding at a different track for practice and a guy hit my back tire with his front tire, no one went down, nothing harmed. But he still rode next to me and asked me if I was okay and yelled out he was sorry.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah, I have had other minor crashes where everyone was cool and we just accepted it as a part of riding. For this guy to make such and agressive move during a practice ride and then act so shocked and mad was out of line, I thought? As long as a slower rider holds a pretty straight line, they should be able to ride on most tracks with anyone.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
HajiWasAPunk said:
For this guy to make such and agressive move during a practice ride

Exactly! When I got tangled up at Cooperland I was confused on why the guy just didn't slow it down and safely pass me. When I'm practicing, I expect a little bit of a comfort space around me.

And don't even get me started on guys that are fast riding in the beginner group. At the track I regulary hit up for practice they run big bike beginners and big bike novice/inter/pro.

I'm not the fastest guy out on the track, and I'm not the slowest. I ride in the beginner group because I'm just that, a beginner. I've watched guys in the beginner group jumping the triple on the track. If you're fast enough to triple, you for sure aren't a beginnner, and if you are that fast and want to ride the beginner group, just don't triple it! I've got no problem with getting tangled up, it happens. But if one of these guys end up landing on me because they decide to jump the triple while I'm rolling it, I'm definately going to pitch a fit with everyone.

It's a safety issue and that's how people wind up in wheelchairs.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
AssistSuper said:
Even a few weeks ago I was riding at a different track for practice and a guy hit my back tire with his front tire, no one went down, nothing harmed. But he still rode next to me and asked me if I was okay and yelled out he was sorry.

actually, i wasn't really sorry. i was just being polite. :nener:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Similar thing happened to me...This is a practice day story...
I took the inside line of a turn and a better rider took the outside burm but cut inside and took out my front tire HARD causing me to wreck. The turn I fell in was at an angle causing my bike to lay in a position making it difficult to lift quickly. Luckily after about 4 tries of attempting to pick it up I finally was able to get out of that turn. Meanwhile, this guy makes it around and seeks me out on the side. He apoligized and said "I'm so sorry, I wouldn't have cut you off if I had realized you were a girl!"
"oh, thanks" I replied....
Great excuse eh? Very bad sportsmanship even with the lame apology.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
kdx200chick said:
Meanwhile, this guy makes it around and seeks me out on the side. He apoligized and said "I'm so sorry, I wouldn't have cut you off if I had realized you were a girl!"
QUOTE]

Hmm :think: So he Knew what he was doing..... :pissed:

I wish him all the luck he deserves....

Crazy

Top Bottom