splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
This weekend I went out riding with my brother in law and his dad and got an opportunity to ride the dads bike. He rides an 85/6 XR200. While down on power and on the small side compared to my YZ250 I really liked the delivery of what power it did have. I've had my YZ for about 4 years now and have done alot of work to it to mellow out the powerband but not enough to my liking. What I would like to get is a used modern 4 stroke that has good trail manners and smooth power delivery.I'm open to both trial bikes and 4s mx bikes. I can do most any mecanical work nessecary(I take better care of my bike than my truck)and I wou mind doing minor modifications to suit me(I can't leave anything mechanical alone)Electric start would be nice but not absolutly nessecary.I'm 6'2", 215lbs, not a real aggessive rider but do like dune riding, ride 98% trails. I would like to know what everyone's opinions are reguarding this type of bike. Thanks for any and all responses.

Steve

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Hows the bottom end torque on those? I like to lug the engine down at times and let the low end torque do the work.

Steve

Chicken Hawk

Sep 7, 2005
Well.....

I have a four stroke...CRF450X and I am 6'1 and weight 250lbs and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I used to ride two strokes (CR 250 and CR 500), but I mostly trail ride now. It really depends on what you are going to use the bike for (trails or track). ONCE YOU 4 STROKE YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK!

"POP IT AND RIDE"

Chicken Hawk :yikes:

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
splatt - I know you weren't asking about this, but have you looked into the KDX220? I'm about your same size and I have an '03 and absolutely love it. We ride trails in the mountains of New Mexico and it has the power to get you out of trouble spots, but will climb almost as good as any of the 4-bangers. We also do some river riding and it does great there also. Not to mention, it's a great bargain. Plus, there is a forum on here dedicated soley to the KDX - JustKDX.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
If your doing alot of dune ridding I say stay away from the 250's yes even the YZ250F's etc. My friend has an '01 yz 250F bigbore it's a 280 now and took it to the dunes he said never ever again it was too under powered had to rev it's poor guts out all day. If fact I'd have to say they are very much like a 250 2 stroke just not as much power, Go for something like a 400 + in size. Depending on funds some of the early YZ 400F's are selling pretty cheap used around here on avg around 2800.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
You have to be careful of buying a bike like a YZ400 though because they are old and may have a catastrophic explosion soon. i would look at the 450X like Chicken hawk said and maybe look at some of the KTM four strokes or maybe a YZ426 or a WR426 or something like that. personally i went from a BW200 to a XR200 and then went to two stroke and bought a KDX200 and now a YZ250. The KDX's have the best qualities of both the two stokes and fours. it has good low end and i can chug mine very easily and best of all it is a two stroke. it is cheap to rebuild and has nice snappy power. but i would have to say the machine i am fastest on even in the tightest woods is my YZ. I think a properly set up 250 2 stroke is the ultimate bike, but i suppose that if you need a four stroke than the things i said above would do nicely.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
MXP1MP said:
If your doing alot of dune ridding I say stay away from the 250's yes even the YZ250F's etc. My friend has an '01 yz 250F bigbore it's a 280 now and took it to the dunes he said never ever again it was too under powered had to rev it's poor guts out all day. If fact I'd have to say they are very much like a 250 2 stroke just not as much power....

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? :coocoo: :coocoo:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I'm not even considering 2 strokes as I have one now and will probably keep it for back up. I want a 4 stroke because it better matches my riding style. Most of the newer 450's are out as well due to cost. My price range will probably be around 3k give or take and probably won't be looking til right after the first of the year,right now I'm doing my research so when it's time to start looking the research is done. Thanks again guys

Steve

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
splatt said:
I'm not even considering 2 strokes as I have one now and will probably keep it for back up. I want a 4 stroke because it better matches my riding style. Most of the newer 450's are out as well due to cost. My price range will probably be around 3k give or take and probably won't be looking til right after the first of the year,right now I'm doing my research so when it's time to start looking the research is done. Thanks again guys

Steve

Good point, no need to have (2) 2 strokes, might as well get a 4 for the climbing, technical stuff.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Last weekend I rode this trail that was hardpack clay that was wet not sloppy wet but just enough to make it real slick.I first went through on my YZ and was all over the place. Went through later on a XR200 and had was able to get though it much easier and much faster.

Steve

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
I also have a yz250 so I know what you mean. Went on a trail ride last weekend and switched with a friend on a xr250. He went about 5 minutes before wanting his bike back, it was to much work on the 2 stroke. With that being said I just bought a 05 WR450 and love it on the trails. You wont want for more power, but you can lug it when you want or ride it on a track. I really enjoy the bike. It weighs more than my YZ but I dont feel it and can keep up with my son play riding on the track. Great suspension and I love pushing the button while they are kicking away!

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I would like to get a WR450 with the fun button but I'm limited on funds so any thing new is out. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Steve

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
Sorry, I didnt see you were looking for used when I read your post. How about a DRZ400E? They have been out since 2000 and you can hop them up as funds permit. Stock they are already a good bike - I was looking at them myself. You might also look at the XR400 or a WR/YZF426, they are a few years old but real fun bikes. These are all bikes I was looking at before I got my 450.

Aug 26, 2005
splatt said:

Steve

I have gotten the 4-stroke bug recently as well, although I am a 2-stroke lover first and want the 4-stroke for tighter trail riding. At your size, I would avoid the 250 4-strokes as they would be lacking torque. I am looking closely at the WR450F, since it is only about 16 lbs heavier than the WR250F and has a nice wide ratio 5-speed, as opposed to the 4-speed used in the YZ450, plus the WR is not quite as high strung as the YZ450, and would hopefully require less maintenance.

I agree with the poster above that said nothing can really beat a properly setup 250 2-stroke though. It's all about gearing and flywheel mass, the 250 MXers are like missles with handlebars due to the ultra light flywheels, whereas the KDX200 is far more tame and controllable. I could tame my CR250R, but then I would be missing a little of the rocket-bike sensation, so I am going to pick up either a KDX or a 4-poke, ooops 4-stroke for trail duties. :cool:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I've done just about everyting that can be done to a 2 stroke to make mine more trail worthy(11 oz flywheel weight,FMF gnarly pipe,big bore and porting to smooth out powerband and modified powervalve governor)and it's still not quite what I want even though it's alot better than when I got it.

Steve

Top Bottom