jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
:ohmy: Im a 29 year old female who is new to riding. My 11 year old son rides a pit bike from Staggs racing. Its a 50 with a 125cc engine. I have NO idea how to maintain this bike. What do I do as far as basic maintenance? Anything big, I will take to a mechanic. If anyone can please help me I would greatly appreciate it. Unfortunatley, there is no father in my sons life so i have to be the dad to. My son wnats so badly to get into racing, and as his biggest supporter I want to know as much as possible on riding and bike maintenance, and also want him to learn how to take care of his own bike. Anybody know also of any places, or ideas of the best way to go about learning in my local area, Las vegas!
Also, I want to get a bike to so I can ride with my son. No racing for mom, just trail riding, maybe some small jumps down the line! Something with good power, great suspension, can take a beating, and LOW maintenance! Any suggestions? I'm 5'5, 110 pounds. Thank you!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Well I don't know much about the bike your son has. But for you a Kawasaki KX100 might be a good choice. Easy to ride and still has good supsension/power to ride a bit harder when you are ready.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
One of the best references for learning more about dirtbikes and how to maintain and repair them, is Eric Gorr's Motocross and Off Road Motorcyle Handbook.

The best thing specific to your bike is to have the factory repair manual or a Clymer manual. These will give detailed procedures on what to do to maintain and repair the bike, but are written such that you need some general knowledge of the bike to understand them.

A knowledgeable friend who can help you along is invaluable as well.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions..I actually did pick up a copy of Eric Gorr's book. My son's pit bike was purchased on the advice of a friend. I didn't want to get my son a crf0 as originally planned because I knew it was not going to powerful enough for him and went straight for the race bike. Unfortunately, because this bike is from a racing company, there is no standard manual that came with the bike...even though there should be. So what is this Clymer manual? Whre would I get it? Another question, is maintenance on a pit bike, a race bike,4 stroke, different than just on a regular 4stroke bike?
God, did I make a mistake getting this bike for my son? Its a good bike, Kenda tires, makuni carb, ssr motor....Should I have gotten him something like a Kawasaki or KTM where I would have a manual and more places to take the bike to get fixed because they are big brands?
If I decide to sell the Stagg bike, what would be a good alternative choice for him as far as a good bike that has enough power for an eleven year old who eventually wants to race but that he can ride trails with to? HELP!!! Thank you

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Clymer is a company that produces manuals for cars, trucks, snowmobiles, motorcycles, outboard motors and other products. You won't find a manual specific to any of the pit bike type models that are being imported, as they generally only deal with models that have been produced in large numbers by the Japanese companies. They may have a generic motorcyle repair manual that covers some basics, but Eric's book covers much of that as well as they will, if not better.

The problem with buying many of the pit bike type models, is they tend to be less widely distributed, with weaker support behind them. The tradeoff is lower initial investment to buy the bike. The Japanese manufacturers produce a very well crafter, reliable and durable machine, but the price is higher as well. The advantage is easy parts support, many places to fix it, and higher resale value as well.

Most aspects of dirtbikes, particularly bikes such as your son's pitbike are relatively common, having been developed by the Japanese and European manufactuers, and now being copied by these manufacturers. Even without a model specific manual, most work should be relatively simple. Most features of dirtbikes are common to all machines, with slight variations in how they are designed and function to perform the same role.

As to maintenance, all bikes need the same basic maintenance, clean oil, clean air filters, correct chain adjustment, and any other adjustments a particular model may require. Frequency may vary, with most more highly tuned bikes (primarily motocross models) requiring more frequent service. Your sons' bike is likely not excessively highly tuned, and clean filters and fresh oil, with a correctly adjusted chain being the biggest items to keep track of.

There are many models that may be suitable, but for now, I would ride what he has, and upgrade if the bike is not suited for his riding style and demands.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are seeking a bike for an 11yo to race, you will need to go with an 85cc. Stop by any and all dealerships in your area. Try to discern which ones have employees with actual knowledge. This can be an invaluable resource, but only if you trust them. Often the parts guys or mechanics are into MX.

06yz

May 2, 2006
I agree w/ frudaddy, a 2 stroke 85 should be good for an 11yr old. If your son is new to riding you may want to start him on a two stroke 65. He will most likely be ready to move up to an 85 quickly, but it may be better for him to learn and get comforatable on the 65 first

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
This is all true, but his size should also be considered. The 85's do have more power and are taller. If you go with a 65, look for an older model and try to pay $15-18 hundred, you can probably get most of that back when it's time to upgrade. You can also learn a lot about maintenance with the smaller 2 strokes.
It has occurred to me that you may believe that an 85 would be easy considering that he has a 125cc pit bike. The fact is that a KX65 will probably have a much more powerful motor than the pit bike. Fortunately, you do have a bike that he can learn the basics on. Once he is comfortable with a little speed, he will brobably be OK with an 85 and the adjustment to using a clutch. When he does move to either the 65 or 85, try to find someone with MX experience to teach him the basics.
Also, let him keep the pit bike, they are always a lot of fun to play on. You can ride it too.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Thanks for all the tips...The pit bike I got him actually sits pretty high and suits him very well sizewise.He can just put his feet flat on the ground.I'm not going to get rid of it because he loves it. He is actually alredy learning the basics on it, and learning the clutch on it. But the advice on the 65 and 85cc bikes is interesting. It does seem as if the 125cc pit bike he has would have a more powerful motor, but I guess not. He has sat on 85's and some are a little to big still.He likes KTM's, but woud the Kawasaki be a better choice? I will definitely know now that that is what to look for as his skills progress. I will definitely be getting him a MX "trainer". THis is a totally new sport for me so I feel a little intimidated and VERY naive, but eager to learn, and am learning a lot quickly...
Thanks for the maintenance tips.Any advice on the best type of oil for a 125cc pit bike? Chain cleaner? Also, how often do I change theoil and filter? How often do I clean the chain? Also, I'm very confused on where to get parts for the pit bike. LIke one day when it needs a new chain and/or sprockets, what do I buy? Is a chain a chain??? Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.God, I must sound like an idiot to some here but I really am new to the sport and like I said want to know everything possible about it for my son's sake. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right and make sure dealers and maintenance people dont take advantage of my not knowing to much about bikes, and dont waste a lot of $$$ on poor bike buying decisions.
Also, for me the kx100 as kx02 suggested, or the crf100? I want to buy new for me, so which would be better? Any KTM's that might fit my riding needs?
Thank you evrybody! I wish i could give evryone who has responded big hugs!

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
jrichtergirl said:
:ohmy: Im a 29 year old female who is new to riding. My 11 year old son rides a pit bike from Staggs racing. Its a 50 with a 125cc engine. I have NO idea how to maintain this bike. What do I do as far as basic maintenance? Anything big, I will take to a mechanic. If anyone can please help me I would greatly appreciate it. Unfortunatley, there is no father in my sons life so i have to be the dad to. My son wnats so badly to get into racing, and as his biggest supporter I want to know as much as possible on riding and bike maintenance, and also want him to learn how to take care of his own bike. Anybody know also of any places, or ideas of the best way to go about learning in my local area, Las vegas!
Also, I want to get a bike to so I can ride with my son. No racing for mom, just trail riding, maybe some small jumps down the line! Something with good power, great suspension, can take a beating, and LOW maintenance! Any suggestions? I'm 5'5, 110 pounds. Thank you!

I was in the same boat when I was his age. I actually saved up 150.00 of my own money to buy a 1982 cr80 as my first bike. It was broken and I knew nothing about fixing the thing and my step dad isnt the mechanical type. I basically only needed a new magneto and found one at a junkyard and w/ a friends help was able to get it up and running.
I had to learn everything I know about motors, cars, motorcycles ect. by myself. However it's a passion that runs deep in my viens and where theres a will theres a way. A good start for him would be to join this board as a member. He will learn a great deal about his bike and if he has any mechanical ability at all, he should be able to work on his own bike with the assistance of people on this board.

And +1 on the kx100 for yourself. It's a great little bike and would fit your size frame perfect.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Glad to see that you have gotten your son into a very rewarding sport/activity. I'm even happier to see that you have taken such an interest that you want to share the experience.

Regarding your first question about maintenance, there are some simple things that you and your son will need to learn. These include

Airfilter cleaning, oiling and installation
Oil Changes
Drive-chain adjustment and lubrication
Control adjustment, replacement (they do break) and lubrication
Sparkplug maintenance

Go to Home Depot or Sears and get yourself a good Metric tool kit. DON’T get those $10 kits from the local autoparts store or Walmart. Those tools will only bring you grief.

Regarding a bike for you, If you are just looking for a “play-bike”, I’d strongly suggest a Yamaha TTR-125 or a Honda CRF-100 or CRF-150 (the older CRF-100 goes by the name of XR-100, if you are shopping used). These bikes are simple to maintain and good bikes to learn how to ride.

Something to keep in mind, no bike is forever. Kids grow and tastes change. I bike that is just perfect today is being sold next season for whatever the new direction is. So if your son likes the pitbike now – great. If he wants to do some class racing next year, he can always sell the pitbike for an 85cc.

Same for you. A play-bike might fit the bill now, but as your abilities improve, and as you are exposed to different types of riding, your desires will change too.

Welcome to dirtbikes. You are providing your son something he will always look back on with fond (and some not so fond) memories. What else could a parent ask for?

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Thanks Captainobvious for the tips. I am so excited to be entering intyo the dirtbiking world, and will be supporting my son full force. And I've only ridden a few times and love it also and so now want to learn EVERYTHING! Question though, you suggest the TTR-125 for me, but ive heard purchasing 125cc books these days is a poor investment?...THat you pretty much cant give them away these days. Is this true?
Whats your opinion on the kx100 for me?
Also how often do you suggest oil changes and spark plug changes?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The TTR-125 that captainobvious mentioned is not the same type as the ones which as you said are a poor investment. The TTR-125 is more of a trail bike with 4 stroke engine. Shorter seat height and quiet. The 125's which are sort of on the way out are the full race motcross 2 strokes. The type of motor which you mix gas and oil for. Those are much taller to sit on and not particularly good to learn on, especially for anyone under 5'7" or so.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Oh ok...Im taking into strong consideration your suggestion on the kx100. Going to look at it tomorrow. Would you still suggest that bike for me over the TTR125? Ive also read the TTR125s, although popular especially for women riders as a play bike, is kind of a "flimsy" bike, something about certain parts, or screws, or something tend to come loose while riding. Know anything about this?Whats the suspension like on the TTRs?
If I go for the kx100, as kx02 suggested,I know thats a two stroke, which ive never rode a two stroke before, will it be easier or harder than being on a four stroke, just power wise, etc.?Also, is the gas/oil mixture easy to figure out? Whats the maintenance like on the kx100?

Any opinion on KTM's?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The TTR is a "playbike", which means it is meant for casual trail riding. The reference to flimsy parts, is likely from someone who rode it beyond its limits. It is meant for casual; trail riding, generally by newer riders, not serious riding by a more experienced rider. The TTR suspension is meant for casual trail riding, with no air involved. Start jumping it, it will bottom out hard and begin beating up the bike.

A 4 stroke bike, particularly in that size, will be easier to ride than a 2 stroke. 2 strokes have a sudden surge in the powerband, that can be somewhat intimidating until you get comfortable with it. The advantage is much greater power output for a given engine size. As an example, a 4 stroke CRF 100 produces about 10 horsepower, while a 2 stroke KX 100 produces about 25 horsepower. Once you get used to the hit, they can be much more exciting to ride, but do take some throttle control to manage the power, more so than a 4 stroke where the power comes on more smoothly.

Oil mixing is simple. Buy a good quality oil and a ratio rite. Determine a mix ratio (eg 32 parts gas to 1 part oil, aka 32:1), pick an amount of mix to make ( eg 2 gallons), determine the amount of oil required in 2 gallons of mix, measure that much oil into a gas can, fill with 2 gallons of gas and shake well. Then pour in the bike.

The maintenance on a KX 100 is no different than any other smaller bore motocross bike, but the rider's demands on the bike will affect the maintenance schedule. Keep the air filter clean, feed it fresh fuel, keep the transmission oil fresh, and replace parts as required based upon the riding demands, wear, and breakage.

For you a KTM 105 would compare favourably with the KX 100, but it will cost more, and offer minimal performance advantages. I'd save the money and buy Japanese, until you both have some riding experience to give you a better idea of what bike would best suit your needs.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The KX100's are a pretty serious bike made to handle jumps/hard riding, but made to be fairly easy to use by newer riders. I'm not terribly familiar the TTR's, but I would look at them along with the Honda CRF's. Just get an idea of what they are all like before you make a decision. The gas/oil thing is really easy, generally just mix 4 ounces of oil into each gallon of gas.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The TTR is actually a fun playbike. My friend has one that spends more time at my house than his. He never goes riding without me. He is 5'8" and around 150 and I have seen him clear 30ft. The suspension isn't good, but it'll do for a while. We have tightened up the preload on the shock to ease landings a bit, and my friend is very athletic (15 yrs martial arts, former male cheerleader). The TTR230 could also be viewed as a good learning bike.
I also have no problem with the KX100, the peaky powerband has already been mentioned, plus it is stronger, lighter, better suspended, and will turn better than the TTR. The TTR will require less maintenance.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Hey thanks guys for the answers...Looks like its going to be between the kx100 and the crf100. Dont know why, but i have this weird fear of two strokes for some reason. Maybe its because most everyone I know rides four strokes and eveything I hear out here is that 2 strokes are "race bikes"...real powerful. Sat on both bikes today at dealerships, and they both fit my size perfectly...so now its just weighing the pros/cons of each bike.
Im worried kx100 might end up being to powerful for me, but at the same time might be a better investment than the crf.
Thanks especially for the gas/oil mixture tips..

Question? I know i'll be trail riding a lot and just riding with my son learning out in the desert open areas, will the kx100 be to much for trail riding? Also, I know Hondas can take a good beating, how does the kx100 compare? Believe me, which ever bike I decide to get is going to have to be able to take some beatings because I know I am going to be falling a lot during this learning process!!! Will trail riding on the kx100 be uncomftorable?
What about the KLX125? Any opinions? THe dealer tried to say that was the best bike for me...

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Between the KX and CRF I would say that it would come down to your initial skill level. The CRF would probably be very easy to learn on and have a very mellow motor. For tight trail riding it would probably be easier to ride. However if the areas you ride in are mostly open desert and you do have some experience riding I would still bet on the KX. It has basically twice as much suspension, stronger brakes, stronger motor. It should hold up pretty well as far as getting dumped. My friends wife has a KLX125, I don't remember too much about it, but maybe it would be a good compromise between the other two bikes you mentioned.

hardrock

Dec 10, 2005
The kx 100 and the crf 100 are nowhere near the same bikes. The kx 100 will smoke the crf 100. Do not be scared of two strokes. 4 strokes are alot of work to keep running to. 4 strokes just have smooth power. When the 2 stroke comes on all at once. I was 10 years old when my Dad got me a cr80. All he said was here you go. I had to do everything by myself, and I learned how. You will get it to. Good luck. By the way If I was you I would get a cr85 expert.( Expert just means taller tires) I would not have anything but a Honda. Plus a 85 2 stroke will blow yours sons 125 pit bike out of the water. Look at like this. It takes twice the motor of a 4 stroke to keep up with a 2 stroke.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
4_stroke race machines may be a lot of work, but the trail bikes (TTR, KLX, CFR100 & 125, DRZ) are virtually maintenance free. change the oil, clean the filter, adjust the chain, and ride. Hard rock is right though, two strokes are nothing to fear. I do not agree with him about Honda, I think their bikes are overrated. You can get a big wheel kit for any of the 85s, but the larger displacement of the KX100 will provide better bottom end, and a lighter hit. It is the same principle that gives a 250 2t a smother power band than a 125 2t.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
OK, I wont be afraid of two strokes! Definitely now leaning toward the kx100. There's like a $1200 price difference between the kx100 and the crf100 new, and because my son is the one who will be going through different bikes as he gets older, and his skills progress, and he starts to race, whichever bike I purchase, that will pretty much be it.
Yes, most of my riding will be open desert and trails here and there. If I do go to a track it will never be to race, it will only be for fun and practice, and for learning how to do jumps. If im ever going to "race" it will only be against my son and friends for fun out in the desert. SO because of all this, will the kx100 still be the best bet, even paying the higher cost? I'm also still very very beginner, still trying to master the clutch so will the kx make my learning process easier or harder? I practice on my sons pit bike right now every weekend.
The "maintenance free" factor with the crf100 and Klx's make it tempting for me to go that way, but I know im going to eventually want more power and better suspension. Is the maintenane on the kx100 really much different? Is it still pretty much oil,filter , chain?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The KX100 is pretty-much bullet proof. Change the gearbox oil every 5-hours, clean the airfilter with the same interval, check the chain before each ride (free play and oil) and keep it clean.

If you aren’t riding in the powerband all the time, the top-end will last for a few seasons.

The KX100 requires no more “normal” maintenance than a CRF100/150.

Here’s a topic no one has brought up yet; proper riding gear for you and your son. The “power ranger” suits that we wear aren’t just for looks. The pants and shirts don’t rip when we fall (denim practically disintegrates – leading to nasty cuts and road-rash), gloves protect your hands, chest protectors due just as their name implies…you get the idea. Make sure you set aside some cash for gear. It’s not something that you “want to buy later” because you are most likely to have some crashes while in the learning phase of riding. As a minimum, I’d suggest the following gear:

Helmet ($100-$150)
Goggles ($40)
Gloves ($15)
Jersey ($30)
Pants ($65)
Boots ($125)
Chest Protector ($65)

There are a lot of on-line places to order from including MXSouth, Rocky Mountain, and Bob’s. However, it’s hard to buy a helmet and boots without trying them on. With that said, you might try to deal with your dealer, letting him/her know that you are intending to buy on-line if they can’t help you out.

No get out there and have some fun.

gillsm

Apr 7, 2002
Just my 2 cents.I am with captainobvious,because you are a beginner I also would highly recomend one of his choices in bikes.Long story short, a friend of mine bought his wife (who also at the time was a beginner) an 83 xr 200,she learned quickly and really enjoyed her bike enough to ride every week.Two years later my friend suggested that they sell the xr to buy her a kx 100 just to try and step it up a little bit.Well she hated that bike, she said she always felt intimidated by the pipey power (this bike was completly stock)She eventally sold the kx and bought a crf150 and is happy again.I think that if you are still learning to ride your sons bike a kx 100 might be a little to much right now,but maybe a year later or so that kx might be the ticket.I hope your not gettig confused now but I am sure most dealers would agree with Captainobvious.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
I already got all my gear captainobvious...and believe me use it all everytime i ride! Any comment on gillsm's post about his friend's wife and the kx100 being to much for her? This is pretty much what im afraid of having happen to me. Im afraid im just going to be so intimidated by the bikes power he minute i turn it on. I dont want to really want to end up buying 2 bikes, the crf100 to master, then the kx100 when im better, but maybe that might be the best thing?? Yeah, now im even more confused! I know with the crf I would have no fears with it, where as with the kx might be intimidated by it.

Top Bottom