CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
What's the down side of buying two bikes? I say buy a bike that wont intimidate you, that you will enjoy riding and that will have good resale for when you do upgrade. I've seen plenty of people riding the TTR-125 mighty haed...heck...I've ridden a TTR-125 hard myself.

Personally, I like the bike.

Remeber, if you buy a KX100 and decide it's too much bike - you'll be buying two bikes anyway.

Anybody that can help this young lady out with a test ride? What stste are you in? If you're close to the garden state, you are welcome to come ride everything I have.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Buy two bikes ha???!!! Well, I could always give my future motorcrosser son the kx 100 if its to much for me when he is older.I might be able to get a "deal" at the dealership if I buy two. I doubt it though.
Yeah if there is anyone out there who can help me with a test ride, that would be awesome. Im in Las Vegas,Nevada. Thanks for the offer though captainobvious. Not sure I will be in the garden state any time soon. Any one in Cali or Vegas willing to help?
Is the resale on the crf100 and kx100 both good captainobvious?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Since you already have gear and have already been riding. I'm curious as to what kind of bikes you have already ridden and how many times and so forth. Do you know how to shift and break well? It just seems to me that if you have some riding skills already, the crf100 would not be enough pretty soon. But definitely test ride what bikes you can.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Hey kx02, well i've ridden of course the "little" bikes like a crf50, and 70, but that was just messing around. I actually dont like those little bikes because they are so squirrly. The only other bikes I have rode are the klx125l a few times, and mostly my sons pit bike. I have only rode about fifteen times, three/four hours at a time out in the desert or at Stoddard wells in the high desert in Cali. Still shaky on shifting, especially at finding neutral right away and downshifting. Had a real hard time in the beginning just stopping properly...would hit the kill switch a lot! cause afraid i wasnt in neutral and didnt want to jerk forward when stopped if i wasnt. I have no problems braking trust me! Still trying to master good throttle control, finding neutral better, good control when making tight turns without falling.
Does this help in your opinion on if the kx100 is still best? What's your take on getting two bikes?
My friend also told me the front brake is the enemy...is that true? I use both front and rear brakes.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Well, 15 times is actually quite a bit of riding. How did you like the KLX125? Two bikes sounds pretty expensive to me. I guess I would still try to get out and sample a few bikes. Yes the really small bikes like the 50/70's are squirelly with their smals wheels and short wheelbase. That's one of the reasons I suggested the KX if you do alot of wide open riding. The front brake is NOT the enemy! You have to learn how to use it. Depending on how strong the brake is you need to use very little pressure on it. I even use my front brake going down very steep hills. With the disc brakes on my bike I can just put one finger on the lever and gently pull it in just enough to help regulate my speed.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Ok first of all, im still new to using this forum and not a pro at using it, and posted a sarcastic statement to oldguy,NOT frudaddy,kx02, and captainobvious...so ignore the negative little icon thing on their posts. I stated that I was THANKFUL for all my responses, especially from these members!
Yeah kx02, when I was first learning, my friend's husband insisted that I NEVER use the front brake. He said it would do nothing but "fly me over the handlebars one day". So I would always try not to use it but honestly, I am ALWAYS using it. I am more uncomftorable with it. Like I said I use both brakes at the same time a lot, whether going straight, down hills, whatever. I dont go down steep hills though...not ready. yet. He even told my son never to use the front brake, which I did think was weird. My son didnt listen either and does use his front brake. I figure if me or my son are going to "fly over the handlebars one day", its gong to be from hitting a rut...
I did like the klx125l. IT was very easy and tame. It fit me perfect. Isn't the crf100 pretty much the same kind of bike? Also, do I constantly have to be using the throttle, even when idling, on the kx100, just cause of the whole 2stroke thing?
Any tips on easier ways to find neutral easier when stopping?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Well good for you not listening to your friend! And appyling both brakes at the same time is good. The CRF would probably be very similar to the KLX, probably a little smaller. If you like that bikes size and power, maybe you should to with it.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
I think its going to be thekx100. I want to progress and get into jumps and learning to ride harder. The crf and klx may not really let me do that. I may still get one of the "play"bikes also just to have an extra bike for just going out and being mellow, and for friends of mine who are mostly quad riders, but hop on dirtbikes every now and then, to hop on and go riding with me and my son. But my "new" bike purchase will probably be the kx100. Any other bike I get will be used. I think i'll be happy with the kx...just cant let my fears of the power of the bike get in the way of my goals to master it. I know i'll get over the initial "two stroke power fear" of mine!
Any advice on what I "should" pay for a new kx100? Dont want to get completely ripped off at the dealership.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
LOL, I wasn't suggesting buying two bikes at the same time. The point I was attempting to get across is that you can always sell your FIRST bike to get something that suits your needs.

My point is this: don't feel as though you are stuck with a TTR or a CRF because that's what you buoght first. You can always sell it, usually at a loss of only several hundred dollars. In fact, I have always bought used and usually break-even on the sale.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
jrichtergirl said:
I think its going to be thekx100. I want to progress and get into jumps and learning to ride harder. The crf and klx may not really let me do that. I may still get one of the "play"bikes also just to have an extra bike for just going out and being mellow, and for friends of mine who are mostly quad riders, but hop on dirtbikes every now and then, to hop on and go riding with me and my son. But my "new" bike purchase will probably be the kx100. Any other bike I get will be used. I think i'll be happy with the kx...just cant let my fears of the power of the bike get in the way of my goals to master it. I know i'll get over the initial "two stroke power fear" of mine!
Any advice on what I "should" pay for a new kx100? Dont want to get completely ripped off at the dealership.

Good Choice! :cool: Let us know when you get it!

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
I will kx02...getting the bike actually within next two weeks. Cant wait! My fears of a two stroke and maintenanace on bikes have been calmed a lot thanks to my responses I received here. I'll let everyone know what happens on my first two stroke ride!
LOL...I know what you meant Captainobvious. I also was not going to go out and just buy two bikes at the same time! God, I wish! I was just saying if I could find a good deal on a used crf or klx after buying my new bike, I would consider getting a second one for friends to ride. Im pretty confident now i'll like the kx100 and probaby wont end up selling it, at least thats what im hoping. Im trying to get my four wheel friends to become two wheel fanatics like I have become!And an extra bike will always come in handy. YOur right, once I get better at riding and maintenance, whats wrong with having more than one bike!
Thanks for the tips everyone!

hardrock

Dec 10, 2005
This is the way I look at brakes. 70% front 30% back. I use the hell out of my front brake. If you do not need it why is it there. Just do not lock it up like you would the back or you will be flying. A two stroke will idle just fine. One think you have to think about is the 2 stroke power will come at once. The first time you ride it do not gas it hard or you will be laying on your back. You have to get a feel of the bike so you know when it is going to hit. That way when you are trail riding the power does not come when you do not want it to. You need to know a 2 stroke does not like to go slow. It loads it up and will foul a plug. That does not meen you can not go slow. Just every now and then let it rip to blow it out. If you are in SC your can ride my xr250 or cr250 if you like. I still say get the cr85 expert. You can not beat a honda. I do not care what anybody says. They are the best. :ride:

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
hardrock said:
You need to know a 2 stroke does not like to go slow. It loads it up and will foul a plug.

That's not correct information at all. I suggest that you read some of the many jetting threads on DRN.

A properly jetting engine can run "slow" all day long.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Yeah, my friend is an idiot telling me about that whole front brake is my enemy stuff.I confronted him about what he sai and told him he put an uneccessary fear in me. He still insists the front brake will once again"fly me over the handlebars". I would assume that would only be if you pulled it in real hard. Thanks for the offer to come and ride one of your bikes hardrock. Im not in SC, im in Vegas. With all the times that I have ridden, and to this day still deep in my learning process, I have NEVER gone past third gear. And when im riding in third on my sons four stroke pitbike or on the klx sometimes get a little freaked out by the speed. But not to badly. Still getting used to speed on a bike. Hell the first 6 or 7 times I rode I never left second gear!

So is 3rd gear on a two stroke considered "slow"? I will probably be in second/third most of the time while learning the two stroke and the whole "feel" of it. What's this about fouling a plug?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I seldom get above 4th on my KX250, a lot of track can be ridden really hard in 3rd or 4th. Unfortunately, I am slow. Don't worry about what others think is slow, what is important is that you are having fun. If you are comfortable in third, be there, faster will come in time.
As far as the front brakes go, get the feel for them. Gradually grab harder until you feel the rear lifting. Then you will know the threshold. When it starts to come up, you can either let off a little, or lean back. I have taken a KX65 all the way over, and it was quite funny. I ended up on my chest with the bike balanced above my back, supported by my legs. I found myself trying to figure out how to put it down without hurting it (or me). Now, I wish somebody had a camera running.
I tend to use more rear brake, although I know I shouldn't, and am working on more front. My son, on the other hand, is almost exclusive to the front brake. Many people think he's fast, nobody is impressed by my riding inability.

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
I have never felt the rear lift when I use the front brake, its more of a jerking because im still learning how to use it correctly. Dirtbiking is definitely not as easy as I thought it would be. But I went into it knowing nothing at all and think im progressing well. My son at 11 is progressing at an amazing rate, much faster than me! Amazing how some kids just "get it".
Kx02, what do you mean by fouling a plug if going to "slow" on a 2stroke? Also, again is riding mostly in 2nd/3rd on a 2stroke to slow?
Why do you disagree captainobvious?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I know you weren't addressing me, but if you just cruise around at low engine speeds, you can foul out the plug. The engine will start running rough, and eventually it will stop running, and not start again. When you get back to the tool box, you pull out the spark plug and see that the tip is black and oily. Put in a new plug and it seems fine (for a while).
The captain disagrees because the cure for the problem is getting the carb tuned properly. The fouling was caused by the lower circuits being too rich, and could have been avoided. The carb tuning guides in these forums are very helpful in the tuning process, I recommend finding "Spanky's Jetting Guide" when the time comes.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
jrichtergirl said:
I have never felt the rear lift when I use the front brake, its more of a jerking because im still learning how to use it correctly. Dirtbiking is definitely not as easy as I thought it would be. But I went into it knowing nothing at all and think im progressing well. My son at 11 is progressing at an amazing rate, much faster than me! Amazing how some kids just "get it".
Kx02, what do you mean by fouling a plug if going to "slow" on a 2stroke? Also, again is riding mostly in 2nd/3rd on a 2stroke to slow?
Why do you disagree captainobvious?

I think that was hardrock that said that. He was refering to the fact that these bikes can at times get too much fuel through them and this can cause the spark plug to get wet and the bike will not start. I think it is too soon to be worrying about that type of thing. Basically it comes down to your bike may need some carburetor fine tuning based on the type of climate you are in, your riding style, etc. No biggy. :) Just go as fast as you feel like going!

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
Sorry kx02, it was hardrock who mentioned about fouling a plug. I wont worry about it. The weather here in Vegas is either extremely cold or EXTREMELY hot, sometimes 120 degrees, so im not sure what type of climate would cause a "fouled plug". UNfortunately wont be able to practice to much this summer here in Vegas cause of the weather, only in the early, early mornings. So me and my boy will be in Cali alot practicing. Getting the bike next week. Made the $$$ finally and cant wait. I'll let you know how the first ride goes on my first two stroke!!!

motodude381

May 20, 2006
I have a kx 100 that i am selling. My son rode it for a year and a half and is a skilled rider. Where do you live? Maybe we could work out a deal. I am in Northern CA. THE bike is an 05

jrichtergirl

May 14, 2006
I am in Las Vegas. What part of Nor Cal are you in?? I will be in Nor Cal this week Wed. trough Sun. though. I will be back and forth in between Fremont, San Fran, San Jose, and Santa Cruz. I will have a car though so I am able to drive anywhere.
How much are you asking for the bike? What kind of condition is it in? Any upgrades? E-mail me through the site with your info. I would definitely be interested.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom