CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I want to put a nice little handheld GPS on my X-mas list for Santa this year (good idea KTMboy!) This would be very handy for those lost in the desert type rides. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one (nothing too fancy).

TIA, Jack

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
I am using a Garmin GPS III + . I have it mounted, but it can be used as a handheld. It is a quality piece of equipment but not the cheapest available...CRX

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by CPT Jack
(nothing too fancy).

at work, i use a trimble 4400 system. it works excellent but it may be a little too fancy. it cost $54,000.;)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I use a Lowrance GlobalNav 200 - I've had it for about 5 years, I can download a plot trail and put it on a topographical map and then print it out or draw a trail in the map program and download it into the GPS. Lowrance has a new model coming out called the iFinder which is hardened to some MIL spec. A-Loop sells the Garmin in a hardened form too and the maping software will work with most of the GPS systems now. The Garmin seems to be the most popular but I will stick to Lowrance as I already have all the hookups to the PC and it's been reliable as a stone for me.

12 channel parallel satellite acquisition is a must if you expect to get it to work well in the sort of areas we go in.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I'm going to get another one too. They are all 12 channels now. I had a Magellan (model 200 or 2000 ?) a few years ago (tracked 8 birds) that would not work in tree cover. Get one that has an external antenna option, and you should have no problems if you hit the woods. In the desert, anything should work well with the built in antenna. The other question is if you want mapping capability or not.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
If you go with a mapping unit, watch for updated USGS map spftware. Just picked up a new set of USGS "quad" maps; they now have the forestry trail designations. Haven't researched availability of new map software yet, but it would be a real plus.

p.s. I use the Garmin E-Map (around $300) with Mapsource software. I just carry it in a camera pouch mounted on the backside of my headlight cowl.

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I have an Etrex also. picked it up at a closeout sale from Service merchandise for $80. After you get the intial signal read in an open area it does fine in the thick woods cover, however if you turn it off in the woods then turn it back on the initial read will have dificulty. I hooked it into my wiring with a cig lighter adapter from an auto store then bought the car lighter adapter from garmin. Its about the size of a small cel phone and weather resistant. I am very happy with the setup.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
The garmin products are excellent. I use a GPS III + with mapsource and have the topo software. It isn't the cheapest but is very durable and easily locks onto satellites. Plus you can buy some trick mounts so you can actually view it while riding. Cords, etc. available at Best Buy type stores(basspro too).

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
I've bought/used/returned a few different models, but found the Magellan GPS 315 worked the best. Way better features than the Etrex (granted, more $$), and easier to become proficient at than the Garmin products. The only thing I liked about the Garmin GPS III was the ability to change the screen layout (landscape or portrait, if you will).

Satellite finding was also much quicker with the Magellan. The only thing it's missing is a power saver function (screen off, but still recording position and distance). Runs for about $200 CDN, so much less in US dollars. Cig/power adapter is about $20, and well worth it!

Dave

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by GlennP
BRush,

How's the Etrex in heavy tree cover on hills? I'm leaning toward the GPS 12XL with a remote amplified antenna.

Not too bad as long as you keep it exposed so it's not blocked by your body. It's not going to compare to an amplified antenna, though.
The advantages of an ETREX are:

Low cost (~$110 for the base model). This is significant when you consider that one unlucky crash can turn any GPS in to a pile of plastic parts.

Decent reception.

Good battery life. I get about two days of continuous "on" (9am - 4pm) use from a fresh set of AA Alkaline batteries.

Small and compact. Easy to carry.

I use it when I'm on unfamiliar terrain (like at an enduro or turkey run) to mark a waypoint at the parking area, then I shut it off and put it in a pocket or fanny pack. During the event, if something comes up where I need to abort and get back to the van (or I get lost...) , I can switch it on and use it to get my bearings and find my way back. If you are into trail mapping, you might be happier with a fancier model. Still, the ETREX works surprisingly well.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
My primary use would be to record and plot several loops we ride here, that can be confusing, with many turns. Most of the terrain is on mountain sides in thick woods. I don't neccessarly need a mapping unit, but I would like to download the track from the unit to my PC and overlay on a topo map. I would either carry the unit in a pouch on my CP, or make my own custom vibration isolated mount behind the bars, better protected.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by GlennP
My primary use would be to record and plot several loops we ride here, that can be confusing, with many turns. Most of the terrain is on mountain sides in thick woods. I don't necessarily need a mapping unit, but I would like to download the track from the unit to my PC and overlay on a topo map. I would either carry the unit in a pouch on my CP, or make my own custom vibration isolated mount behind the bars, better protected.

You can do that with the Etrex, but the amplified antenna and extra features of say, a GPS III+, would be great if you are willing to spend the goodly chunk of change required. I have the Etrex download cable and use the TOPO USA CD package to map trails on our club land, and woods don't come much thicker. There's another club member with the Garmin III+ and the external antenna. He duct tapes the antenna to the top of his helmet. Next time I get the urge to map some trails, I'll probably do the same thing with the whole Etrex.

For trail mapping, I've found that getting a map package with a good editor is important. The TOPO CD has decent maps, but the editor is rudimentary. When you upload a track, because of the inherent GPS circular error (the trails I map are tight and wind back on each other) you need to be able to drag the track & waypoints around and "clean up" odds and ends. Not real easy to with TOPO USA 2.0.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
I'm running the Garmin III+ also and just installed the new Touratech mount for 2-stroke engines (KDX220) and so far, so good. The unit has kept a track under dense woods. With the roads & rec CD (Mapsource), you can download the track easily. Now I need a converter to run off the bike's mag.

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
I have my GPS III + mounted on a TT R250 and am powering it with a cirgarette type power plug. I have a Tour Tech mount. The mount is kind of expensive but is very high quality and works very well. I have it mounted so The GPS screen is visable while riding but am not able to watch it a lot while riding tight trails. I ride in heavy trees a lot of the time and am able to get adequate signal strengh without a amplified antenna. The down load maps available are very impressive. I have the topo maps and I was amazed to find many of the single track trails that I ride in the Black Hills on the maps....CRX

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Regarding Topo Maps

I have the Topo brand map series but like BRush have trouble with the plot trail not being on the actual trail. Even running the same trail at different times will give different plots. Maybe because the accuracy has been degraded since 9/11?

Anyway, does anyone have a way to offset the plot so it is correct - I was going to do an Excel spreadsheet with some of kind of offset applied to the long and lat. Anyone got a better idea?

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
The introduced error (Selective Availability, or SA) is supposed to be off now. It has been off since May, 2000. When I had my Magellan, SA was on and accuracy was not that great, like 150 feet on occasion, depending on the time of day. Now it is supposed to be around 50 feet (I have not used a new receiver to verify this). Still, with tight trails closer than that to each other, you probably have to rely on actual recorded odo milage as well, trail marker, or commit a visual landmark to memory or a route sheet of some type.

Here there are perhaps 3 or 4 singletracks withen 100 feet of each other off of a main 2 track trail. With the GPS alone, it would be impossible to differentiate one trail.

There is probably some error introduced in the topo map itself when it is generated. When the two errors are combined, you have a larger one.

The G 12XL is around $200 and an antenna about $40.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I went the the eTrex base model based on recommendations and the fact that it's cheap. If it gets broken, you don't have to torture yourself over the cost to replace. What a cool little gadget!:)

Also, I usually have the mindset which tells me to buy the expensive one the first time (cry once) and be over with it rather than to get the starter model & move up later (cry twice). In this case I felt just opposite. For $100 I can play with it, break it, try different mounting solutions, and get comfortable w/ GPS. If I still want the bells and whistles, fine, I'll upgrade and have a cheap backup unit. Yeah the maps could be handy in some situations, but the base model will find the truck for you when you really need it.

Thanks for the input. :cool:

Last edited:

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I use the Garmin GPSIII+ and my primary riding is done in the Idaho mountains where I am often under a canopy of trees. I found that the remote antenna mount has eliminated any loss of signal I used to experience when I would have the GPS in a pack. I simply ran the remote antenna lead under the seat and tank and mounted the bracket to the triple clamp. My GPS has a custom made padded home mounted on the back fender. The guy who makes these bike tool/GPS bags makes custom snomobile and motorcycle seats and bags. He was wondering if other people would be interested in what he has made for me.

Anywho.. the Garmin has been great. My wife suprised me with it a couple months ago as an anniversary present along with some topo software. I don't know how much it cost and I haven't looked into it (I guess I really don't want to know how much $ it cost because I just got her earrings :o I better make up for it this Christmas eh?)

Top Bottom