Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
A friend of mine has a problem with the rear brake on his KX grabbing. He's getting frustrated with it because if he just barely touches it, the rear wheel locks and if he's not on the clutch, it kills the bike. I know he's got sintered pads and what looks like an aftermarked rotor. I've though of maybe switching to organic pads. Not sure if this will fix his problem though. Anyone else have any ideas how to soften this brake up a little so it's not so grabby?

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
nope, standard size rotor.

one thing that we have done already that has helped.....cracking the bleeder screw and letting in a little air. at least it doesn't lockup like it did, but it's still overly sensitive. I have an identical bike and we can't figure out why his is so touchy and mines not.....except for that aftermarked rotor.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
is there any possibility the rotor and or pads are contaminated with oil/etc? that could make it grab. I don't like the idea of letting air into the system.

rc331

Jun 18, 2002
I agree with motometal, I don't like the idea of air in the system either.
How about the linkage between the brake pedal and master cylinder? could it simply be set up way too tight?

rc331

Jun 18, 2002
Thinking about it now, playing with the linkage and pedal height really shouldnt make the brake grabby. Maybe it is the sintered pads.

biffpk

Mar 23, 2003
Try removing and cleaning the master cyl. there could be a piece of crud pluging the very small return hole. this means dissasembly of the cyl. It is not difficult, just requires a snap ring plyers

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Grease on the pads will make it grab. The problem is, once it's there you may never get all of it off. You can try cleaning them with brake cleaner but might just have to try new pads.

Top Bottom