thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
I have have few more problems with my 1985 cr125. I was riding my dirtbike for like 5hours with my friends. So after awile I noticed my brakes were taking more and more time to stop me after awile they would not stop me at all. Could this be that the brake pads are worn out. They are drum brakes in the rear. Whats the best way to fix?
Also when I bought the bike the front caliper was frozen on to the rotor so I took it off andwhen I was working on it the braket where it mounts broke where the bolt goes threw it. Should I buy a new cailper 300$ or get an new braket and rebuild brake kit???
THNAKS FOR ANY HELP

newbikekiller

Nov 24, 2004
Brake drums are known to fade after they get hot. They get hot more readily because they are enclosed (makes sense...)
Which is a problem if thats the only brake your running for two reasons
1.) It gets used more = more heat
2.) Its the only thing stopping your bike!
If the brake is working fine cold, you can bet the pads are just fine. But to be sure you should take the wheel off and take a look at the brakes. I usually just do a visual check before deciding to replace, do they look really worn? Do they have heavily glazed appearence to them (like, glossy and grainy at the same time)? If they do whip out the medium grit sandpaper and smooth them up a little and it'll be a temporary fix. Does it look like not much is left of the brake pad? If it does then you need to buy some new pads! Check with the dealer on the prices first, to see if you can get them locally cheap first. Then, check on the internet, places like www.rockymountainatv.com have good deals on brakes - I've bought from them many times! you can also check ****, most sellers will accept a money order if your prompt about it.

First thing to check - is your brake properly adjusted? It should engage almost immediately after you put your foot down on the pedal, you can check this by either feel or putting the bike on a stand (or a bucket, that works too :-) ) and seeing how well the rear brake stops the wheel with a minimal amount of foot action.

I suspect you'll be a lot happier having a front brake, too. DON'T BUY NEW! Thats a waste of money, get the rebuild kit and do it yourself - or better yet have your local shop do it for you. You _should_ be able to find the mount at a junkyard or on ****.

Does that answer your question?

Top Bottom