mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Sorry for the ignorance, but..... when you grease swingarms, steering pivots, and other bearings, does it require complete disassembly and hand packing, or is there a easier way? I am in the process od getting a shop manual for it, but until then, I just want to go over it and check my dealers work. What are the important parts to grease? Thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The FAQ tells you want to do but not how to do it.

First thing to do is clean the bearings (I use Naptha) and let them air dry. Compressed air might force surface dirt back into the bearing.

The steering bearings can be hand packed. For the needle bearings in the suspension you'll need to apply a liberal amount of grease to your finger and message it into the bearings. When it seems as though they can't take any more grease add some more. Upon reassembly make sure you add grease to all of the seals.

For the bolts that go through bushing I would use never seize instead of grease because grease will work its way our of the bushings. Never Seize also works very well on the brake pad pins, the swingarm bolts and on the engine bolts.

The wheel bearings are permanently sealed but I add a big glob or grease between the bearing and the seal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom