goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Greasing the steering bearings appears in the manual to be an easy task but it calls for a special tool. Is this an easy task for the home mechanic and do you need a special tool to perform this job?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
for the stem nut? a punch will start it and a channel locks,i greased the lower on the stem i grease often so they r good.my dealer does any pressing off/on when i need

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
don't forget about the other special tool the manual always calls for.

STEP 1: Jack the front wheel up with the SPECIAL WHEEL JACK.

In the pictures this one appears to be a bike stand. LOL

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It may take a few extra minutes..but seems to save more than that in the end: Taking the forks out of the stem makes the job much easier!

Much easier to handle just the stem than the stem...with the forks, wheel etc. attached.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
air compressor dry

Just a little safety tip. You should not direct the air directly onto the bearings. I have a friend that did that and the needle bearings spun so fast that it came out and went through his hand. Just thought I would warn you.

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
This job is a walk in the park. I think I actually used a large socket (was it 30mm?) to remove the steering head nut. No special tools needed. Don't believe everything you read from the manufacturers.

Aloha.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom