ericmiles

Jan 15, 2010
Alright so I am making a list of tools I am going to have to add to my collection before doing serious repair on my bike. I have a large collection of basic end-wrenchs, sockets, etc. But I do not have any speciality tools, so in reading through the service manual and many posts on here, I have seen that I am going to need:
- 1/4 in Torque wrench measuring in inch/pounds
- 3/8 in Torque Wrench (foot/lbs)
- crow foot adapter or the torque wrench adapter from motionpro
- flywheel puller
- Brake bleeder
- Some rope clamp thing to hold the flywheel? Not sure where to find something like what I saw in the service manual?
- Impact Wrench probably have to go electric and maybe get a hammer type one as well
- Fork maintenance related tools...I see lots of home made suggestions with PVC etc...never done forks before, so I have some studying to do

In terms of projects I am going to try to tackle in the near future I am planning top end, suspension (front/rear), wheel bearings, brakes and clutch

What tools am I missing from my list?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Forget the break bleeder, it can be done easily without a special tool. If you are planning a bottom end overhaul, get the impact and flywheel tool or just borrow them for 10 minutes. Have plenty of rags, cleaner, and patience. Improvise and you will be fine.

ericmiles

Jan 15, 2010
Need to work on the front wheel bearings, got the wheel off and it appears that I need something to get these bearings out?

Also my flywheel is pure white with corrosion...it seems to run fine (electrically) so not sure if I should mess with it...it just looks bad and I wonder how bad it is behind there. Got the puller but can't hold the flywheel to loosen the nut. The service manual shows some sort of strap looking tool that I am unfamiliar with? Improvising suggestions are most welcome.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here is an improvised solution to holding the crank while trying to break the flywheel nut loose:

Drain the oil and remove the right side cover
Find the primary drive gear from the crank.
Wedge a penny inbetween the primary drive gears, so it locks the crank.
Break the flywheel nut loose (after soaking it with liquid wrench for a good long time)

There is a risk that you could damage the teeth on the primary drive, but I have used this before on my '84 KDX200 and it worked like a charm.

I've beaten on wheel bearings enough times to realize if they don't move with a few good strokes, I will gladly pay a shop to press them out. When those bearing shells have been in there and have 10+years of corrosion holding them to the hub, you can pound on them until your arm falls off, and they wont' budge. Sometimes a press is the only way to go. JMHO.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
the nut on the flywheel comes of easy with a impact gun

the penny method is good, but I have also had luck just keeping the motor in place untill I have the clutch nut and the flywheel nut off...with the motor in place and the chain still on I just pop her into gear and hold the rear brake

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Try these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#strap-wrenches/=g6wf4v

I would NOT jam anything between the gear teeth. That is a good way to damage all sorts of expensive parts. Sometimes you can get away with it, but it only takes ONE time.....

More useful tools to add to your collection:

Motorcycle tire irons
Exhaust spring hook
Tire gage (a GOOD one)
Electric chain cleaner
Air compressor
9" pin punch
Master link setting tool
Cable luber

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Impact wrench with a piece of rebar through the rear sprocket (not spokes) and the bike in gear always worked fine for me to get the flywheel off. Just make sure you do it while you still have the clutch on there.

I also have never needed the crows foot. Generally, in the cases where you do need it, you just torqued a bunch of other nuts to the same value and can just guess with a normal wrench and get close enough.

Electric heat guns are nice as well. Lots of heat with a lot less damage.

Left handed drill bits and screw extractors are handy as well. As are metric taps and heli-coils of common sizes.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mudpack said:
Try these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#strap-wrenches/=g6wf4v

I would NOT jam anything between the gear teeth. That is a good way to damage all sorts of expensive parts. Sometimes you can get away with it, but it only takes ONE time.....

More useful tools to add to your collection:

Motorcycle tire irons
Exhaust spring hook
Tire gage (a GOOD one) :laugh:
Electric chain cleaner
Air compressor
9" pin punch
Master link setting tool
Cable luber
Mud could you post a pic of the electric chain cleaner...please

never had any luck with the cable luber but have come up with my own...I take the cable off the handle stick it up through a small funnel, electrical tape it, prop or tie it up staight then pour oil in the funnel and let it sit and pull the cable back and forth every once in a while

ericmiles

Jan 15, 2010
Impact wrench was best investment so far. I struggled for 2 hours with various configurations, strap wrenches, home made holders, pennies and other attempts, found out the hard way my air compressor does not produce enough air to drive my air impact wrench with enough force, so after trying the local pawn shops, I ended up at Lowes and bought a very nice DeWalt electric impact wrench...10 seconds after unpacking...voila...all done :) whew

Top Bottom