Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Mobil 1 15W-50 With SuperSyn (new formula) Is not the best choice for a wet clutch according to a customer service rep at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL. I was not happy with this reply as I love my Mobil Oil, and we debated the use of the oil. I appears that although it does contain friction modifiers, there are not enough to cause an adverse effect. The rep said that even the old 15W-50 had FM's. The rep said the reason to use their motorcycle oils is because they contain Anti-Wear additives which are not found in automotive oils because they cause damage to catalytic converters. So im thinking that maybe this oil is not the best choice for a bike such as an XR400 because the trans and crank share the same oil. But this is not so in a 2-Stroke because there is no oil in the crank, just the trans, therefore the anti-wear additives would not be nesscesary? So I've come to this so far: Mobil 1 15W-5- is fine for a wet clutch 2-Stroke gearbox, but MX4T would be a better choice for engines sharing their crank and trans oil (XR4, YZF, KLX etc etc.) What do you guys think?

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
I have been using Mobil 1 15w-50 for 2 years in my 426 and Ttr125 and have had no clutch problems. I have done a top end on the 426 and it looked good and I will continue using it. I have stocked up on the old blend but will probably start using the new supersyn.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom