grinding aluminum..hello metalworking people

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Hey gents. I bought a new case saver for my bike, BUT I went to a 14T sprocket and I need to grind 1/16" from the case saver. What should I use? I have a dremel. I just am not sure what to use to grind the metal down. I know the grinding stone won't work, tried that!hahaha The aluminum just melts into the crvices of the stone. Tungsten? Help! :bang:
Mc-G

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Dremel is probably the easiest option. It wont look too pretty but if you get one of those abrasive wheels, you could make some passes along the case saver until you gain he desired clearance.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I did. the stone only worked for a few minutes then the aluminum melted into the wheel making it smooth.hahaha

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Grab a half-round file with a radius as close to the case-saver radius as possible. Pull the file from top to bottom using the same path as the sprocket would take.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
Grab a half-round file with a radius as close to the case-saver radius as possible. Pull the file from top to bottom using the same path as the sprocket would take.

yes! and a brass or nylon toothbrush between each drawing of the file to clean it

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It would take a very skilled hand with a dremel to relieve that much area and look good, a file will work much better. Start with a rasp or ******* cut file and go finer when you get close to what you need. Or a grinding wheel roughly the same radius as the case saver. They will all clog with aluminum if you are not careful, the old wire brush.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
They do make aluminum grinding wheels for a grinder. Never use a standard grinding wheel to grind aluminum as they will clog up and explode.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The rotary burrs that mideastrider suggested will remove aluminum very fast. If you coat them with wax they will not load up with aluminum. Sanding discs also remove aluminum pretty fast and they won't explode like a grinding wheel will. A belt sander will also work.

If you only have a 1/16" to remove, Rich's suggestion of using a file my be the way to go.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Thanks for everyone's help. I found a tungsten carbide burr that worked quite well. I have a pretty steady hand for a darn drummer, it got away from me a few times but worked well and the case saver is now on the bike. It doesn't look perfect and I made some etches in the black anodizing(sp?), but I'm for function before looks.

Thanks again fella's. you always rock!!
Mc-G

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Get a black Sharpie marker to fix the scratches.

I'm with Rich, a few strokes with a good file and maybe a little abrasive cloth/paper to pretty it up is my usual choice ESPECIALLY for aluminum.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Advice will be put to use! I'm gonna do that this weekend. Like I need one, but a good way to pass some time and some beer too!hahaha
thanks again bro!
Mc-G

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Abrasives& Aluminum...101

All abrasives when grinding non-ferrous materials, require a coolant or lubricant. Apply a little paraffin wax to your grinding wheel or stone prior to removing material. Cheap candle wax will work, so will WD-40, kerosine,
diesel fuel,or any light oil. Put it on the work piece too. Be carefull when you turn on your grinder, some of anything you put on the tool is going air-born as soon as you hit the switch. all of the above will prevent the grinding wheel from "loading up". Abrasives, like all cutting tools get dull and can be dressed down with a piece of solid carbide, a dressing stick, or an industrial diamond to expose new sharp grinding material. All of the above is messy, so take precautions, cover parts that you wish to keep clean& use eye protection.Tiddy things up when your done& you're good to go. Best regards from an old gear grinder, Porkchop..... :yikes:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…