maddmax

Nov 12, 2006
Hello,

I'm currently rebuilding a 1988 Honda Cr 125. I have most of the needed tools but im looking for a Digital Caliper Micrometer. Im not interested in spending a lot of money. I have checked the usual auction site and have found a NEW 6" STEEL ELECTRONIC DIGITAL CALIPER MICROMETER LCD with the following specs

Measurement Capacity: 0 - 6" / 0 - 150mm

Resolution: 0.0005" / 0.01mm

Accuracy: 0.001" / 0.03mm

Costs about $20

Will these work?

Thanks

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I use a Vernier Caliper, they are more accurate if you can read them correctly and they don't go out of calibration. Do not buy Chinese. American, Swiss, and Japanese are the only measuring tools worth the metal they're made out of.

Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo, and Lufkin are names to look for. Here is one, it's reserve may be reasonable. I paid $17 for one of these without a box a while back.

http://cgi.****.com/LUFKIN-Vernier-...1QQihZ020QQcategoryZ25270QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Look up the vernier scale on the internet so you can learn how to use it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You get what you pay for, that's for sure. But in this day of digital electronics the digital systems for precise measurements has become so cheap, so easy and so reliable that its pointless to go any other route. It will give you instand inch/metric conversions and is far less prone to stupid operator error.

What you get with the higher quality (and higher priced) units is better wear and tear and smoother operation. If you really need to measure down to 0.001 inches you should get a really good unit.

Knowing HOW to use the caliper and what its limitations are will be far more of a factor than the accuracy of the unit, however. For example, you can't use a caliper to measure the bore of your cylinder, or the end gap of the rings.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom