Handlebar Width

DeeTee

Jul 15, 2002
Ever since I used to split racing between 80's and 125's (about 15 years ago!) I always cut about 5/8" off the ends of my handlebars. I used to do it to make my 125 feel smaller, and I've just stuck with it. Whenever anyone else rides my bikes (currently a 2002 RM250) they always comment about how narrow I run my bars and wonder aloud how I can stand it. When I ride their bikes, I feel awkward and out of sorts also, and wonder how they can ride with those big wide Harley bars. I'm 5'8, 165 and my shoulders are wider than average, so I can't figure out why I like the narrow grip but it has me feeling weird and wondering - does anyone else besides me cut their bars down? Travis Pastrana's bars always look narrow to me, but maybe that's because he has such long arms. Whaddya think?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
5/8" is just tailoring it to your riding style. I am 6'3" and run the Carmichael bars uncut. If the cut works for your riding style then good. More width in your bars gives you more leverage in the turns, but if you don't like it, don't worry about it.

Endurofreak

Aug 14, 2002
You can do whatever you have to do to make yourself feel comfy on your bike. I run moose bars with a quarter inch off each side, so I can feel like I'm leading the bike, and not the opposite.

Dont feel stupid

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I cut my Renthals down to 30''s (1'' off each side) ebcause it let me turn and jump alot better with them cut down.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…