handling help - overcorrecting front end

gopherkiller

Nov 12, 2001
I need some assistance, and I am hoping some suspension savvy people out there can help. I have a '98 KDX 220 and the front end does not track that well. I jump off a KX 125 (which has almost the identical geometry BTW: same trail, almost same rake, same wheelbase) and by comparison my KDX won't turn in as well and when I'm leaned over on a line, I find that I am over-correcting all over the place.

I bought the bike used, and apparently it had some suspension mods by Fredette. It feels very plush otherwise. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to improve this problem?

Thanks a bunch,
Eli

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try this:

Click on the MX Tech icon to the kleft of this forum and find the suspension tuning guide on his web page. Read that, make some adjustments.

Check race sag = 100 MM

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There are plenty of things you didn't mention that are important. Some basic setup issues, like fred said..sag for one.

My point is a particular failure that, if I understand your description, was exactly the case with my bike.

It turned out to be the bottom bearing on the steering stem. The bars moved without a hitch I could feel, didn't bind anywhere. BUT, taking off the bars, the wheel and the top clamp..THEN I could feel the bearing tick.

Just greasing it up while waiting for a part helped a lot. After replacement of the bearing, the bike was COMPLETELY different front-end wise.

gopherkiller

Nov 12, 2001
Hey, that is very interesting canyncarvr. I will definitely take a look at the head bearings while I am checking the other suspension settings (like sag).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…