KDX 200 2003 front forks help!!!

jase351

Jan 10, 2006
Help i am having trouble with front suspension handles real bad tried all different settings on forks would it help getting them done buy a pro or would it be better to replace them with a kx front end as this would be very exspensive and hard to find as the forks r conventional i think they r no good compared to usd's any help would be much appreciated
I have had kdx's for the last 13 yrs they have been a great bike but they haven't changed much since 97

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The KDX Front Suspension is for a 150lb. rider, the rear for 180-200lb rider. Put Heavier Springs in the front for YOUR WEIGHT, replace the Rear Spring only if YOUR WEIGHT is over 200lbs. Set the Rear Race Sag... KX Forks ARE GREAT!!! BUT, you have to piece everything together & a Collars has to be made to make fitment in the Upper Triple work. Cost could be ????

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
First figure out what kind of riding you are planning on doing and then do as Green Hornet suggested and get it set up properly. It should be about 400 with springs and gold valve emulators and most of the work you can do yourself. Check out the how to rebuild forks on the bbr motorsports website if you want an introduction of what to expect from a fork rebuild. Also, please define "handles real bad" and "tried all different settings on the fork" as these can mean different things to different people.

I say this because my kdx "handles real bad" in loose sand and in whoops but does a fair job, for stock suspension, on the trails and milder climbs. Also, what level are you going to be pushing the suspension too? Are you racing, or just want something a little less lively on the weekend ride through the woods.

jase351

Jan 10, 2006
hi thanks for the comments the type of riding i do is a cross between fast trails, rough hills which suffer from 4WD's and erosion, technical terrain which has all sorts of surprises its hard to explain one ride covers alot of areas thats why i am having trouble finding the right setup
The bike seems to go where ever it wants not the line i pick
I have only played around with the clickers on the bottom of the forks and lowered the bike a bit as i am only about 170cm (67) inches tall and weigh about 72kilos and i where a fair bit of protective gear so in total about 75kilos (165) pounds i ride with alot of other powerful bikes like 450 4 strokes and 250+ 2 strokes
i may just have to take the bike and get the suspension done properly
Thanks for the help i only ask a few questions in this forum and usually get some great help so thanks

Last edited:

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
The only bike I have ridden that handled well in loose stuff was a desert racers xr650r. Other than that its been like riding over ruts in loose sand where the bike wants to keep taking off on me. I've ridden some 125 motocross bikes that felt the same, the only difference was the bike was much smaller feeling so it wasn't as alarming. Personally I would check out a set of gold valve emulators, they are about 140.00 USD and I have heard nothing but good reviews about them. Also you could get a set of lowering links for the rear and then adjust the preload on the rear suspension to be stiffer if that is what you are looking for without having the ride height being too much.

Also, you could checkout http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/suspensionTips.aspx for some more ideas. Good luck getting it dialed in.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Get the correct rate springs (MX-Tech has a spring rate calculator). Put in fresh oil and the correct rate springs, then go ride and re-evaluate.

Search for Terry Hay in AUS.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
You say you lowered the bike a bit. How did you go about this? Sliding the forks in the triple clamps or letting a bunch of preload out of the shock spring is a sure way to screw the handling of a bike.

jase351

Jan 10, 2006
I have played around with the settings on the bottom of the forks. I lowered the back of the bike with the rear spring, wound the nuts up to lower the rear i have front and back suspension settings on soft

Top Bottom