nofear

Oct 2, 2003
i have a 1988 cr 125(i know its old). i rebuilt the top end, installed new fmf reeds, and have put around 10 hours on it since. it's been acting up latley, sometimes it starts easy as hell sometimes not at all. also, its been fouling a lot of plugs, and i know the card is right cuz its all set stock. yesterday i was cruizing down back roads at about 1/2 throttle. i came to a stop at a stop sign, and the bike died. tried starting it, it wouldn't. put in a new plug, still wouldn't fire. i ended up having to pull start it, and even that took a few tries. after it got running, it ran strong. got the bike home, let it sit for about an hour and tried starting it again, it wouldn't start. i've yet to run a compression test, but i don't think thats the case. the reeds should be fine, the carb is right, i'm thinking it could be the ignition? i just replaced the stator coils a few weeks ago, those should be good. it does have a cdi box, could that be bad? maybe even the rotor? thanks

nofear

Oct 2, 2003
i have a 1988 cr 125(i know its old). i rebuilt the top end, installed new fmf reeds, and have put around 10 hours on it since. it's been acting up latley, sometimes it starts easy as hell sometimes not at all. also, its been fouling a lot of plugs, and i know the card is right cuz its all set stock. yesterday i was cruizing down back roads at about 1/2 throttle. i came to a stop at a stop sign, and the bike died. tried starting it, it wouldn't. put in a new plug, still wouldn't fire. i ended up having to pull start it, and even that took a few tries. after it got running, it ran strong. got the bike home, let it sit for about an hour and tried starting it again, it wouldn't start. i've yet to run a compression test, but i don't think thats the case. the reeds should be fine, the carb is right, i'm thinking it could be the ignition? i just replaced the stator coils a few weeks ago, those should be good. it does have a cdi box, could that be bad? maybe even the rotor? thanks

RidinRed

Sep 30, 2003
Ive got a 98 CR125 and it just started doing the same thing last week. The motor has spark, but just wont start when its cold. It takes about 5 or 6 tries to bump start. Motor was recently rebuilt also. I would love to hear a solution for this.

TM

Jul 14, 2003
I had the same problem with my 88 CR 125 then i adjusted my carb and set the idle and it works fine now and does not foul plugs any more. I hope this helps.

hrc125rider

Aug 22, 2003
i had the same problem wot my 88 cr125 and i got a new cdi and ignition and a woodruff key or however you spell that.....the bike ripped after that

Top Bottom