Sep 15, 2004
After i put on my grarly torque pipe my kdx 200 has been kinda hard to start sometimes.Once it is started it runs fine.Even if i shut it down, it starts back up on the first kick.Its just when it has been sitting for awhile that it does this. I re-jetted my bike to a 152 main and kept the 48 pilot.It runs soooooo much better (once I get it started)If i go down to a 45 pilot will this help??It was way too rich
MODS:
fmf grarly torque pipe
boyesen power reeds
air box mod
uni filter
152 main /48 pilot
Thanks
Oh my bike is an '05
also since the bike was burning rich I got all kinds of oil in my exaust.Will it burn out on its own?Or do I need to do something to get rid of it?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
45 or 42 pilot wil make your life and bike a lot more pleasant! You are plenty lean on the main jet imo. High revs (when the bike is on the main jet) is usually when engines seize. Oil in the pipe will burn out when you get the jetting right.
Hard to start first time out sounds like a choke problem. Be sure the choke is working. Remember the KDX is a closed throttle starter - esp when cold.
You are on track to have a great time with your motorcycle. John

Sep 15, 2004
High revs (when the bike is on the main jet) is usually when engines seize.

John ,do you think a 152 is too lean? the stock main jet was a 160.Thanks. I will goto a 45 pilot..........or 42? :bang:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Only way to really be sure what main jet to use is by doing a plug chop(s). That process is detailed in old forums and is truly the only way to jet properly. That said, every bike is different and I was suggesting that it might be safer for you to start richer and work down than the other way around. I am still running a 155 main with almost a stock set up. How and what do you ride? That certainly has some influence. I am old and slow and would be considered a trail rider now. Yes, I get a little spooze sometimes, but I am sure I am not too lean! I think (one man's opinion) you will be just fine with the 42 pilot and the air screw about 1.5 turns out. There are many wonderful tuners on this forum. Read some of the past discussions on jetting. Keep working on it; most agree that jetting is one of the most rewarding and inexpensive things you can do for your motorcycle! Cheers John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom