Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
I have a hz250 2000, Runs great when it is warm.But it is sometimes so hard to start at first,but when warm it will start wright away.Is it my plug? :bang: I always buy racing plugs

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Very unlikely that it is the plug.

I know that some people have bikes that will start on the first kick, hot or cold. I have never had one......

The jetting of the carburetor will have a large effect. The engine needs a richer mixture when it is cold so if your engine is normally running a bit on the lean side it would make it harder to start when cold. There is a cold start knob that you pull up that should increase the mixture for cold starting but if that got clogged then it wouldn't do anything, so a really good cleaning of the carburetor might help.

Technique may help a lot. When I start my bike first thing in the morning I have learned that it starts a lot easier if I leave the throttle closed for a few kicks, then just barely crack the throttle and kick until it fires (generally in one or two more kicks). If I hold the throttle open when I first start kicking I will flood it.

Rod

Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
thanks Rod
when I say hard to start it takes like 10 to 15 kicks.this cold start knop you speak of would this be my choke? Or something differant? thanks again
Joe

Top Bottom