wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Ok I realize this is SX, and the riders are somewhat kids, and its suppose to be "pure". But I listened to the race tonight for the first time in a long time.
During the interviews I was amazed at the lack of verbalization the riders have. The best one was Clark, he spoke well. The rest seemed to be just not what would be considered "Pro".
One of the many things car race dudes do, is take classes for this, believe it or not it is really important for the sport. When the only thing some do is "listen" to the races, this really stands out.

Also, this isn't a slight but maybe more of an observation, and hope to see that part of the sport improved. :think:

wardy

I swear if i heard "you know" one more time I was going to scream! :scream:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You know Wardy I noticed the same thing. Of course you know that if the team managers felt that it was important they might well you know maybe put the guys in one of those you know toastmasters classes. You know too that most of these top riders have sacrificed some you know class time and what not to you know get to where they are today as riders and you know they don't regret it you know one bit. :p

*now removing tongue from check while hitting post button*

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Like you know um...The two best speakers in a while have been McGrath and Pastrana, it like you know um, doesn't look like ummm, we'll be hearing either one of them from the podium this year  you know:(

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I always imagined myself signing some million dollar contract. Money would no longer be an issue....How about hiring someone to teach me how to talk properly? This could add a lot of extra money in the long run.

Need proof. Listen to carl Malone of the Utah Jazz. The guy needs help!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Wardy's point is well taken - some of these guy's don't speak well, and could do better. And no doubt, TP is an absolute natural with the media.

However, many of us really don't care about a rider's talents in front of a microphone. It's the on the track behavior that matters to me.

My concern with all the emphasis on media skills is that teams will start hiring the best media spokesperson, instead of the best racer. Then the racing will suffer.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Dave I don't dispute that. But I have a couple of kids here 7 and 2, I know that I will have both of them articulating a conversation a heck of alot better than that when they are that age. If they are in a public speaking atmosphere or just bullcrapping around, good speaking habits and being able to comprehend people that have them is very high on the ladder in life in my mind. DOn't get me wrong, sure the first thing that these racers are to do is win races and be fast, just be nice that they would also have taken the time or would take the time to learn to speak like an adult.
Again I want it clear that I don't "disrespect" thier ability, and I guess it is another reason why I don't follow the SX circuit much, I rather pay closer attention to the up and coming kids that are going to be in that position some day.
I guess teams should hire a person to train these guys in articulation in front of the camera, it would help the whole perception of the sport.

wardy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe we could hook them up with Sarge! I'm sure they'd learn the finer points of conversing :)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Remember too, as I remember, TP is a communications major in University?

I am pretty sure the "factory guys" do take some PR training as part of the job....but your right, some do sound pretty bad sometimes :laugh:

Oh, and I forgot ...beauty eh? ...Hoser :yeehaw:

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
This may sound bad what kind of education do these "kids" recieve? I picture alot of home school'n. Could it be the "mini dad" turned "this is my retirement dad"? More track time than book time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Ah, nothin' beats Strange Brew :cool: Today's young'uns could learn a lot from Bob and Doug as far as communication skills go.

I sense a signature change!

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I remember one time in a Jeff Emig interview I counted something like 27 "you know"s. I lost track because I was laughing so hard to myself.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Out of curiosity, how many of the pros actually have completed their senior high school certificates, and if so have any gone on to tertiary education?

I know it was mentioned TP has attended university. But I imagine quite a few of the pros didn't even finish year 11, as their riding took presedence over their schooling. Hence their grasp on the English language has suffered (not that my spelling or speaking skills are fantastic).

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yes I agree....I mean Im a Chad Reed fan but someone has to point out to him that you actually have to move ya lips when speaking.....what a mumbler!!!!!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Ive got a friend thats been in New Zealand for about 3-4 months now. Shes from London and always uses this at the end of a sentence, 'you know what i mean man?' it doesnt bother me, im to distracted by other things, plus i think im used to it now.

Top Bottom