Hatfeild/McCoy

JasonKTM

May 20, 2002
Me and some riding buddies are planning a trip to "trails heaven" in WV. I went to the website and got alot of useful info, but I was wondering if anyone with knowledg or experience there might give me some information about where to camp? where to ride? how about towns that allow dirt bikes in to refuel & eat(the website mentions a few but the posts are not current)?
Also, we are going on July 26/27 and if anyone wants to join us let me know. We have 5 people now and the more the merrier!
:aj:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Jason,
Do a search in this forum and in the ride reports forum (General Discussions). I remember reading an interesting post that said to look out for the locals in one of the camping areas. I can't remember which area, but just a heads up to be careful. BTW I hear the trails are great, make sure you post a ride report. :D

Have Fun,
Scott

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
JasonKTM
I went to H+M in early May 2002. that was when they were having all the flooding. It was perfect at the trails with little waterfalls and streams every 5 feet. The town of Matewan was evacuated at that time. I got to BearWallow 3:00 on Friday and stayed at the Devils Anse camp. all weekend. I had no problems whatsoever and the guy that owns it is cool as the come. The acutal campground is nothing to write home about, no shade, right next to a road, small, but very nice showers and the little store is right next to it. They have food gas laundry maps tubes (bring your own tubes trust me) and the people are nice. I covered almost every trail on the map there by late Saturday, but I was by myself and am very experienced rider. If you have beginners or are not that experienced Bear Wallow is good for a whole weekend without getting board. The single track trails are awesome especially #183. IF YOU ARE GONNA RIDE #183 ONLY TAKE IT FROM #16 TO #84!!!!! DO NOT GO THE OTHER WAY. AT THE END IS A LOOOOONG HILL OF SOFTBALL SIZE ROCKS THAT IS REAL NASTY. I made it up but it took alot out of me and my bike(clutch and rear tire). I would say this trail is for very experienced riders only just because of the hill at the end. I went to Rockhouse on Sunday and rode, the trail is less rocky, faster, but the scenery is way better. there is some awesome overlooks on trail 10. They told me you can ride in to Gilbert to eat and fuel but I never made it that far. Flat tire no tube. Ended up going back to Bear Wallow to get the only tube known to man in west Virginia that day so I just stayed there and rode. Would have stayed the rest of the week if I could. I plan on going back in the fall. email me if you got any more questions. sned@famvid.com

JasonKTM

May 20, 2002
Thanks for the info. I will definately post a ride report after our trip. We are staying in Man, about 1 mile from the rockhouse trailhead. We will drive to Bear Wallow 1 day too. Thanks again for the info!

Corvettemom

Jul 3, 2002
Hi guys, I'm a local to Hatfield-McCoy trails info. Anything you would like to know about the area, email me. The towns of Man and Gilbert, off the Rockhouse set of trails allow you to ride in town. Man passed an ordinance specifying atvs, but they are very supportive of the trails system, and have said nothing to the dirtbike riders who have stayed with us. Gilbert also allows you to ride in town for gas, food, etc. Matewan (off the Rev Compton trails) is back up and ready for business, they also allow riders of the trails system into town no problem. The only town that won't is Logan off the Bear Wallow trails. I keep hoping they will wise up and change their minds, but so far, no luck.

There are three campgrounds in the area that I know of at this time. Devil Anse is right at the trailhead to Bear Wallow. Twin Hollow is in Gilbert right at the access to Rockhouse. (they do not have their own shower house yet!!) And Paradise Island is between Man & Gilbert on Rt 80 nice set-up, but some strick rules. Each of these has a website on the Hatfield-McCoy website www.trailsheaven.com. There are also some other lodging choices listed there.

Also according to my Ranger buddy. Rockhouse is best for dirtbikes, if you want to be able to wind them out a little, less rocky. Bear Wallow, as previously posted is rocky. The other trail in Mingo county is very rocky and MUDDY. Feel free to email me, I'll help you with info all I can.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
SPD and I rode Bear Wallow early this year. It was a lot of fun and the main loops are very Fast. The single track loops are a ton of fun. The devil anse campground is nothing to write home about but the people are Really nice there. It's better than the WalMart parking lot we slept in. ;) It was a great day of riding and we plan to go back soon. Have a good trip!

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Hey Bill, check out the new maps as they have added several miles of trail. Let me know when you are going again.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I still have 2 vac days left and am saving atleast 1 for a weekend trip.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…