Hats off to Rich R for a great thread and a ? to boot :)

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Found this thread here and read it. Some great input I must say.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=60392&page=1&pp=20
Its worthy printing for sure for future reference.
Anyhow my question is my 01CR-250 originally had a BR8EG in it and sometime recently I put in a new plug OOPs lol come to find out I had put in a BR9ES which is obviosuly a Colder plug.
This plug only has 2 5-7 minute rides on it.
So I pull it after reading RR's post about plugs and go to do the chop after yesterday running it wot in 3rd and using the kill switch and coasting to a stop.
This is when I realize there was a 9 instead of an 8 in there.
Anyhow bike actually didnt run to awfully bad but was a little blubbery when I wacked the throttle more open. I guess it was kind like a sputtering faint bogs.
My question is can running to Cold a plug cause poor performance like a running rich scenario?
Anyhow just wanted opinions on my plug chops (dont laugh I did a horrendous job) and the shiny specs are from the cutting of the plug..
The plug on the left s the BR9ES with 2 5-7 minute rides on it and the plug on the right is the correct BR8EG that had been in the bike for gosh who knows how long.
Looks a tad rich?
Her is the 2 plugs: My 2 plug chops

Once aagin thanks for the great thread up top :aj:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The reason it can run poorly with too cold a plug has to do with the build up of deposits on the ceramic. As more and more deposits build up it makes a short circuit path for the spark. So at 6000 rpm maybe only 4500 of the sparks are jumping the gap and the rest run down the short circuit path from the center electrode, to the ceramic and stright to the metal shell. When the deposits get bad enough this short circuit fires will increase until it's 100% shorted out AKA the plug is fouled.

Plug heat range is pretty simple you need enough heat to burn off the majority of the deposits from the ceramic. The type of riding you do will determine if that means a 7, 8 or 9 series plug.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Thanks Rich and ONE Final Question please

I want to thank you for taking the time out to awnser my questions with your busy schedule. It is very much appreciated.
Anyhow WOW I forgot how good it can run with ther right Plug.
It ran very strong and great.
I see what you mean about the what a wrong Heat Range can do.
I put in a brand new BR8EG and ran it till it warmed up then did a WOT run and killed and coasted to a stop.
I chopped the plug (hey I did a much better job) and yep the ring is clearly evident and brownish mocha color.
Please take a peak and tell me what you think click on "MY PLUG CHOP below.

MY PLUG CHOP

Once again thanks Rich your insight has been tremendous help :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Assuming you did a proper plug chop under a real load then that plug chop is either very rich or the plug is still too cold. Best best is to warm the bike up on one plug , screw in a fresh BR8ES and do the plug chop. ES plugs are cheaper and easier to read. Once you get things set properly then you can use the fine wire plugs.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Ok, Thanks

Yes, I agree she is on the rich side for sure but, she runs fantastic.
I might add in actual looking at the plug compared to the picture its not as dark as the picture makes it look (crappy old 2 meg camera thats old).
Here is one that is actually more like it actually looks. I took it in much better lighting. Outta all of the 3 of this 1 plug it looks the closest to the real plug. Although the tip is more like the 2nd pic which is more light tanish.

More Actual Coloring Plug Chop

And another one similiar to first pic but a little better light:
More actual lighter color take 2

Then again I am just a play rider and no racer so what impresses me might not be just right for the demanding racer.
I sure could tell it was a lot better with the hotter correct plug for sure. DOH
Its got a 430-MJ in it so that probably why its rich as stock I think is a 420.
I let it idle about 1 minutes before taking off so that also might be some off the richness?
As far as WOT I ran her 3 Blocks WOT in 3rd.
Anyhow I appreciate your help and it sure is nice to know what the heck a mixture ring is all about.
I wont mention any shop names but, I took it into a local dealer and asked them how the mixture ring looked and 2 guys actually said a what the heck is that?
They had no clue what I was talking about.
I actually explained what all I had read and they learned something they said.
I find that rather disturbing being they sell these same bikes everyday and he was like well it looks fine from the tanish color.
Thanks Rich I will sometime try the one plug to warm it up then switch to a plug to chop but,I am just happy knowing I am on the Rich side and not lean side.
Thanks also for the tip on the ES plug.
Can you run those in there all the time?

Last edited:
Top Bottom