Haulmark or Classic Enclosed V-Nose: Which One?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have a decision to make regarding the purchase of an enclosed trailer, one new the other used. Having never owned an enclosed trailer, I would like any feedback regarding the quality and pros/cons of the characteristics of each trailer.

Purpose: Hauling 2-3 dirtbikes, gear, and the occasional misc items like camping gear, bicycles, coolers, etc.

Trailer A: 1-year old used Haulmark, 6x15 v-nose, stone guard, side door, vents, ramp door, curb weight: 1,900 lbs, payload: 1,080, flat roof. $2,200. Great condition. I priced the same trailer brand new and it was $3,000.

Trailer B: Brand new Classic, 6x12 v-nose, stone guard, side door, vents, barn doors, curb weight: 1,500 lbs, payload: 1,500, radius roof. $2,750.

The overall interior length of the Haulmark is only 1' longer than the Classic. Otherwise all other dimensions are comparable.

Every trailer dealer I've spoken with has told me that the Haulmark quality is marginal, and the Classic is the "Cadillac" of trailers. Very few dealers in my area even carry Haulmark (that could be why they are berating them). Most carry Classic, Continental, Pace, US Cargo, Wells Cargo, Road Force.

My initial concerns with the Haulmark are:
1) Additional 400 lbs I'd be hauling around.
2) Possible quality issues after owning it 3-4 years.
3) Flat roof with water/ice/snow sitting on it during the winter.

The only pros I can think of with the Haulmark is the price, and potentially the ramp door. With a ramp, my wife and 8-year old son could load/unload their own bikes.

Thanks! The amount of great advice, knowledge, and ideas I have found on the forum are incredible!

- Bill

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KX-Rider

Thanks for the feedback.

I live about 45 minutes northwest of Detroit. It does seem like there are a lot of manufactures in the Indiana / midwest area.

From what I've been told, it's about a $150 freight charge to deliver the trailer from the factory. With a wife, 3 little kids, and working 45-50 hours a week, depending on how far the drive is, I may prefer to spend the money rather than the time.

Also seems like Classic discourages direct sales, and prefers to direct customers to their dealers.

Thanks again for the feedback!

- Bill

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Bill,

Great to meet you this evening. Thanks for making the trip.

My last enclosed trailer was a Wells Cargo. We had a barn door (not a ramp). I understand your thoughts about loading/unloading, However, I think you would be happier with barn doors. As you use the ramp continuously, it will wear out. Also, raising and lowering the ramp would not be a job for a wife or a kid. Just my $ .02.
I would recommend an eclosed trailer for your needs.

Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
A Decision Is Made

Well I've decided to go with a Classic. I figure that I am going to get a lot of use out of it and keep it for many years. Years from now, I won't notice the few hundred dollars difference.

My choice now is to either wait 4-6 weeks for a black one to be built, or pick up a white one available now.

I've heard that black shows scratches and dirt easily, but I think it looks a whole lot better. The white ones I've seen typically have the aluminum oxidation drip marks running down the sides, which also looks lame.

Another consideration is how much hotter will the black one be in the summer. Will it be a sweat box? :o

The top is aluminum on both, but I'd think that the white one would reflect the sun and stay cooler. :) The dealer told me it doesn't make as much difference as you might think.

Both have a roof vent, FWIW.

Any feedback on your experiences with color would be helpful.

Thanks!

Motopainter

Mar 5, 2002
Go with the white it will hide most everything including small dents scratches and dirt. You will want that black one painted after the first year of use.Check it out with some black car and truck owners very high maintenance for sure.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Making Leota is going to be tough next weekend. Just found out wife has to work 9-2 on Saturday. :( Will be all set though for a mid to late April ride around Lake City area. On a good note we're getting my son an XR-50 this weekend. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom