Having some bad luck........ Need some opinions please

Jun 4, 2009
I have let the kdx rest for this week to change out some bad fork seals. I thought I would go ahead and change the trans fluid and I stripped some threads out the drain. I was wondering if it would be worth using heli-coil or just having it tapped to next size up? Seems from what I read that taking a bolt in and out a couple of times and the heli-coil don't last long. They seem to be kinda pricey to have to use them a couple of times a year.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Heli-coil will work great if you install it correctly. It does involve drilling and tapping the hole though. It's really your choice. I had the same problem and found a slightly longer bolt of the same diameter and thread pitch and it holds securely.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The heli-coil should be stronger than the aluminum cases you put it in. In other words, harder to strip out.

Jun 4, 2009
Installed today and it works perfect. Should have came with steel thread inserts from the factory, but oh well. Now just got to work on the forks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
When I install Helicoils, I'll ususally put red Loctite on the helicoil first.. That should keep it from moving in the threads, making it a bit stronger.

Then again, I'm probably just wasting thread locker.. ;)

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
TN_TRAIL_RIDER where in TN are you located? Me, my brother-in-law, and a buddy all went riding at Royal Blue this Sunday. We had a blast and spent about 6.5 to 7 hours up there. If you are around this area then let me know and we could all hook up. There is normally 5 of us that go. I am the slowest but hell I have only been trail riding 6 times in the woods, but I still have as much fun if not more that the guys we ride with.

Jun 4, 2009

I live 40 minutes from royal blue but have never been on any of the trails. There are so many trails where I live that I always have rode around here. Have you heard of brimstone recreation?I live in winfield, which is on the tn/ky line. I wouldn't mind meeting up but I don't have a way of hauling my bike, I would have to borrow my step dads truck.

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
I really like royal blue, but me and my brother-in-law have been wanting to go up to brimstone, so maybe we can meet up there. Are you a member of VolunteerRiders?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…