Having trouble balancing sag

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
With my weight around 165lbs I have 1" of free sag and 3 5/8" of sag. If I try 4" I have too much free sag. If I bring the free sag below 1" I start to go below 3 5/8. Should I buy another spring or will these settings work?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Too much free sag indicates a too stiff spring.

You're kinda on the edge of what's considered 'normal'. The more MX like you ride, you'll likely want less than 4" of race sag. If you stick to the woods, then closer to 4" will give you a more plush ride..and still give you enough travel to get the job done.

Take some other things into account to get you close.

How does the frontend handle? At 3 5/8", does the frontend tend to tuck on you (oversteer)? If you don't have tuck or push (understeer) issues (the frontend tracks well), then 3 5/8" is ok, and so is the 1".

If it DOES tuck, then lowering the back (going to 4") will help that AND you want to keep free sag correct, you need a 4.8 spring (given that you have a 5.0 stocker).

Guess if you're trying to get as close to the ground as you can (I'm height disadvantaged myself), then that 3/8" would be important. You could get that additional 'drop' with a set of devol pull rods.

Bottom line. Yes those settings CAN work. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, maybe) only YOU can decide that.

Cheers!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom