Headlight Replacement

rbrogers

Jan 16, 2003
What have you guys used to replace the OEM headlight??
I have gone through 2 of them now and still want a headlight vs MX plate, but want to see waht works best out there.
Thanks for all the great info.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I have the UFO Dual Lamp headlight with rubber mount straps. It fits and works fine and IMO it looks better too.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
the rubber straps work better, the KLX actually has rubber straps, but the kdx has a solid mount.. it allows for more give in any kind of a colision

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I use a ufo.....but...

You won't be running both lights on any twin-light shell with the oem lighting coil. The 'wire different' would have to be 'one or the other' thru a DPDT switch to run with the 45watt oem coil.

MAKE SURE that the 'red' (to the taillight/regulator) wire is always in the circuit. You cannot simply wire the oem headlight switch output to the center of a SPDT (or DPDT for that matter) with the two lights to the switched connectors. You end up with the regulator common to both lights. Call it a 'short' between the lights. They'll still both want to come on at the same time.

As said, you can wire a DPDT to do the job ( I have a simple diagram for that if you wish), or you can simply switch the RED and not the yellow. That leaves your VR (and taillight without some additional wiring) on all the time..............

Capiche?

BTW, the above is in regard to an 'H' model. Some others have the same wiring colors and setup, but not all.

Last edited:

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
RE: rubber straps

Although better than rigid mounts, you'll still break the darn thing if you hit a tree/rock/ground. Just look at my old ATK for evidence! All joking aside, the rubber mounting straps make install/removal a breeze.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Good point canyncarvr, should have mentioned I was only using the one beam on the dual light setup. The second lamp is just sitting there for looks or to have a choice of wide or spot beam depending on the need.

rbrogers

Jan 16, 2003
Thanks guys. I have ordered the UFO dual headlight. So can you forward that wiring diagram?? I would appreciate it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
You'll probably have to wait until Tuesday to here back from Carvr

He's gonna go play in the sand for 4 days! :( :ugg: :debil:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Just a quick note here on the KDX's solid mounted headlight. With the solid mounting system in place the unit has little room to give in the event of a crash. Its a good idea to remove the solid mounting and use either KLX250/300 rubber straps or order a set of replacement straps from someone like UFO or Acerbis and adapt them to your bike. Because the KLX straps are intended for use on inverted forks you'll need to build up the diameter or the fork tubes. An easy way is to find an appropriate diameter rubber hose and cut four 1inch sections from it and slip them over the fork tubes. A little electrical tape will hold them in place.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It has been posted before, so cannot be duplicated here.

Click HERE to see it.

Note it is for two different loads. Wiring the lamps separately (if you keep the oem lighting coil) is one.

This switches the unreg voltage not the regulated voltage, so the VR is NOT on all the time (my preference).

Grip heat is nice....and it stays wired for, oh...maybe even one whole ride! ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…