Heartland Park Race report 3/24/02

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
This is a team race that runs yearly-if you are from the Midwest, this is a must do race. It ranks as one of my favorites, for what its worth.

This race is put on by the Cycle Zone guys (Mike Kruger) and features a fun mix of tight woods, creeks and ultra fast grass track sections. If you want to tap out that 520 or 426 w/out having to go to the dez, this is the place.

This year greeted us with cold weather, a little drizzle (which helped keep dust down) and almost perfect track conditions. The start was a tight right hander, followed by high speed grass track. After about 3 miles of banzai 5th gear stuff, we dropped into the woods. This went on for about 2.5 more miles of fast woods to tiptoeing through saplings then dumping out into more grass track. This cycle repated a few more times to finish at a fast, rough grass track section where the team switches are made. Our team-BlueThunder and myself holeshot the A class and led for about 3 miles, only to succumb to a CR that took a turn where the course used to go last year. As I watched the A class tear off out of sight, I had to push/pull the bike back onto the trail. A little frantic riding, followed by smoothing out, and we at least caught up to the pack by the end of the first lap.

I made the tag with Jason, and he was off. By the end of the third lap we were back in fourth! I had some great dices w/ a dude on a 520 MXC on the grass tracks-held him off w/ my CR screaming WFO in 5th gear (thank goodness for the Scotts dampner and CR brakes). Jason rode inspired considering the conditions deteriorated rapidly to really friggin cold and forget about goggles. We had tapped out the supply of clean Smith roll-offs, gloves and body heat, but still couldn't peel the smiles off of our faces.

After three hours we got to call it a great day, with a fifth place and 13th overall. We ran as high as 1st for a while, 4th for most with 11th overall for a good portion. Great riding by Jason and a great race put on by Mike Kruger over @ Cycle Zone. Send Mike a jingle if you'd like to wish him well as he took on a broken collar bone.

All in all, one of my favorite races of the year-Thanks Mike!

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Ahh yes...that's my catfish...err boy! Wade taking the holeshot for us was a beautiful thing! That race is so fun, I'm already looking forward to the next time we race there in October! The conditions got nasty but I was having soo much fun you just tend to ignore it and keep on plugging away. Good thing for those Smith Roll Offs..vision was key during this event! Looking forward to the next team race w/Swade, we hope to better our results all year long, in team races and individually.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The holeshot could be:

1. A sign of old form returning
2. It's close to spawning season
3. The newly applied DRN fender stickers

It's a toss-up...:confused:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Ohhh, that hurt!:moon: