heavier fork springs , wich size

banderson

Apr 30, 2002
i need to get some heavier forks springs i weigh 185 lbs and i dont know if it matters but i am 5,9 and nuthin but trails and i was wondering if any body could give me some advise and tell me what size i should need to get thanks.

SDTom

Jan 10, 2002
Race Tech's website has a great electronic set-up chart. You can enter your height, weight, type of riding, etc, and it'll tell you what they recommend.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
banderson..... There are several companies that make springs for the KDX (like Race Tech), and some say stock springs from the Honda XR400 (I think) work well. I'm about your same weight and 6 ft. I went with Race Tech 42# springs and standard 5wt fork oil. What a difference. Some might also say these are too heavy, but where I ride, I like a stiff front.

Hope this helps some :D. Good Luck!

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i'm 6' 200lbs and put in the gold valves and some .41 springs. big difference from stock - much much stiffer. i went that stiff for mx tracks and it is just right for me. if i was riding in the woods all the time i would probably run .39 or a little softer.

i got race techs from sage initially and one was shorter than the other. sent them back and got eibachs from him. they "look" like they are higher quality and they are the same price. i was not very pleased with race-tech's customer service.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I have a pair of the XR400 springs for sale if anyone is interested. Only used them for 2 days of riding. $75 and I'll pay the shipping.

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
very well so far and i put them to the test my first ride.

1st lap around an unknown mx track, following a guy about 10 yards behind him. he goes over the jump pretty fast and looks like he lands level about 20 feet out. so i decided it was a table top and would just jump it about 10 or 15 ft. well it was a double that had a short table top landing of about 10ft before the down ramp.

when i discoverd this mid air i panic reved and landed a slapper on the upslope. threw me up pretty good but i held on. i'd be in the hospital right now if i hadn't had the new springs...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom