Helicoil Question

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I need to install a helicoil on a newly purchased xr80 for the spark plug. Any advise. Based upon the angle of the plug and the fact that I don't want any shavings/tang in the head, what is my best attack at this. I already have 2 things in mind as far as removing the shavings/tang. Magnet or vacuum. Initially I thought I would just hang the bike upside down to work on it, then I wondered about the sanity of any such project. Help me before I hurt myself.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Take the head off and do it right, on a drill press. Just be sure you have a replacement gasket to go back on with. Also have a manual, some coolant, and a torque wrench.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
If you can actually hang the bike upside down, and have 'friend' hold the vacuum hose right up there by the helicoil drill and tool, then go for it. Many a helicoil have been installed successfully without either of those precautions. If you want to be 100% sure that zero metallic particles will stay in the combustion chamber then take the head off, but I wouldn't bother. Let us know how it works out and good luck!

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by endosports

Also if you are going to be a backyard mechanic like jaybird, make sure the bike is not NOT I SAID, TDC!!!!

Yes, not at TDC would be best. The piston being out of contact range is good, but also to have a valve or two open to let air in the combustion chamber. Letting air in so that the vacuum hose can pull a nice breeze thru there to suck out metal flakes.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by Milquetoast
Perhaps Jaybird had a senior moment and thought that an xr100 was water-cooled? :confused:

Perhaps Milquetoast had a senior moment and thought that an xr80 was an xr100? :confused:

Just kidding ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Don't worry Milq, it didn't leave much of a mark :)

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Don't worry Milq, it didn't leave much of a mark :)

I'm always skeered to look when Rorich replies to a thread I posted in, but this time it was a surprisingly nice post from him! (I think it was nice anyway, but I have no idea what he was trying to say so maybe not. :eek: )

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Milquetoast
(I think it was nice anyway, but I have no idea what he was trying to say so maybe not. :eek: )

Milq - You have to pass the post forwards through a Lorenz cipher and then backwards through a KRYHA MACHINE to find the hidden meaning. What could be simpler? :scream:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yes, I read CR...hence the coolant comment.

Coleman, I'm curious how you fouled up the plug hole on a brand new xr80 anyway?

Mod Edit

Play nice

Last edited by a moderator:

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Easy there Jaybird, its a new bike to me but its a "1986" XR80R.

Keep in mind that I still might be able to mess up a the plug hole on a brand new bike. With that said, isn't it possible to clean up any mess from the installation just by removing the intake or move the exhaust pipe enough to use some vacuum. So far I'm only into the bike for $400, my 10 year old daughter has never ridden and its for her to 'try'. Once I get the new plug in, we'll go from there. The bike ran perfect before I decided to do the minor maintenance. If the best way to go is removing the head, then I'll do it, but would't I have to do that everytime a changed a plug? If its that much work, I'll save myself the time and just get another head.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
No, when you remove the head to drill out for the plug it should be the last time you do it. You will be able to hand thread the plug in with ease once the helicoil is in place. My advise after that job is done would be to get and use the little rubber orings that come with some plugs. This ring will help you to get a feel on how the plug should seat. When you don't use an o-ring, it is fine to just get the plug snug enough to seal, but it is a fine line between that point and stripping threads. With the o-ring on the plug, it opens that window up a little and you will see that it only takes a little "snug" past handtight to get it seated.
Don't take offense to what I posted, I meant you no ill will at all. I just feel that hanging the bike upside down to drill out the plug hole would be silly, if not more work than taking the head off and doing it right. Do you feel pretty confident that you can make a straight drill with a hand gun with the bike hanging from a tree? I have had a considerable amount of experience and training in the machine tool field and I would not feel comfortable with that method.
Good luck.

ps...if you do hang-er-high....put grease on the drill flutes so it can help to attract the shavings.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I opted for the grease on the tap, a couple wipes with a cloth, some vacuum through the plug hole (probably did nothing), pulled the tang off with some hemostats, and the rubber o-ring on the plug. SUCCESS!!!!! I was really only joking about hanging the bike upside down, but the thought did cross my mind.

Jaybird's advise gave me a plan "B" to fall back on and the confidence to proceed with plan "A"(plus his o-ring). If it had been more expensive of a bike, I would have removed the head and taken it to the machine shop initially. That may happen for the next plug. Based on my prior experience with this type of bike, one plug should last me plenty of rides/months/?years?.

Milque's comments gave me the confindence to proceed with plan "A". It worked.

Thanks to all. Now all I need to do is find some threads on teaching my 10 year old daughter and my wife how to ride the thing. My 2 nephews rode the bike for about 2 hours last night and it works fine.

DRN to the rescue.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…