Hello all - Newbie with a dumb question

krman68

Jun 29, 2007
Hi

My son and I bought a 02 Honda XR250R with almost no usage on it. It is a kick start bike.

We're finding that it is a bit difficult to start. I'm assuming the usual stuff like old gas, gummed up carb etc...

I ran it today and tried flushing out the carb with carb cleaner but it still seems difficult...now the dumb question....When we're kicking it, how much do we open up the throttle?

So far we've kicked 2-3x without any throttle, then we opened a little the third kick...but it still seems difficult...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
My limited experience has shown me that all 4 strokes require their own ritual when starting. Once you figure out the right sequence of steps for yours, it will be much easier.

I don't think that XR has an accelerator pump, so twisting the throttle should not have the significant results that it would on a CRF250.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
for starting my 2 stroke i usually just kick it with full throttle and then quickly let it go, i dont know its kinda hard to explain. try different things and you will eventually find the best way to starting your bike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Is it only when cold? You should check the valve clearances, and if they are in spec, try richening the fuel screw an eighth of a turn. Also when you check the valves look at the spark plug. If the electrode or ground strap are at all worn replace it. Some bikes have lean pilot circuits which can make them hard to start. Turning the throttle adds more air because your bike doesnt have an accelerator pump. Cold engines need more fuel.

Jul 15, 2007
Little trick: Push the kick starter lever down 1 or 2 times (easy pushes). Push the lever down two clicks, bring it back up and kick it all the way down. Will start right away every time, guaranteed!!! :)

Top Bottom