MoNkEyTurbo

Aug 21, 2006
Hello, I recently purchased a 1979 Yamaha YZ250.

I bought it from a friend from work, and I've been playing with it since Saturday morning. It is a lot of fun, and kinda loud!

I'm 20 years old and have been riding things with two wheels ever since I can remember.

In my stable I also have an 01 Yamaha YZF R1. Which I will be upgrading sometime this winter, looking for a 2004-5 R1.

I live in Wisconsin, and currently I've just been riding around on some of my familys land in the country. Me and my friends have been having a lot of fun riding this old girl.

The only problems so far, are a pretty hard clutch lever, and that the clutch discs must be gone, the clutch slips when it hits the powerband. I will be buying some new discs and replacing them this winter.

The bike also likes to destroy plugs, I don't know if maybe its getting to hot and destroying the ceramic or what. I've been trying to keep it a bit richer. Although it will flood out very easily. I'm told it has a new Muniki carb, with larger jets. The compression ring has also recently been replaced.

The bike is also missing the rear fender, haven't ridden in the wet dirt yet, but I would like to find something to replace it.

Also, the previous owner has a plate over the clutch release lever on the case that is holding the clutch, he said otherwise it would rattle out, and the clutch wouldn't engage, is this put together wrong? Anyone have an exploded diagram. I am thinking a clip was missed when assembleing the transmission or something.

Wow, all this makes me think there's a lot more wrong with the bike than not, but honestly it is a blast to ride, although the arch of my foot is sore from kicking it over so much, I guess I'll have to wear some thicker soled boots..

I hope to find a lot of information here, as most of the dealers around here dont deal in the 1979's much anymore :).

Thanks guys.

MoNkEyTurbo

Aug 21, 2006
Heres a pic of my R1, I dont have any pics of the YZ yet.
PCDV0163.JPG

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Howdy from the DFW Metromess and welcome to the site :cool:

Have you completely filled out your info in your CP? Be sure and do so. After that grab a spot on the couch.

Fill us in on the who, what, when, where, and how long, and we will try and hook you up with some fellow members.

Have a question? Try search and you might find a plethora of information in the database. If not, post your question and you will likely get some very knowledgeable responses, sprinkled with a bit of humor.

Again, welcome to DRN. We hope you enjoy your stay here and come back often!

Top Bottom