help a girl out w/ 00' KDX 220

redwood

Sep 15, 2002
i just bought a used kdx 220 2000 and i am having a problem with excelerating through 1st and 2nd...

it doesnt hesitate it SPUTTERS like a miss through first and second then disapperes through 3rd and 4th .... so only initially. i changed the plug, what could be causing it? thanks everyone. :worship:

Last edited:

redwood

Sep 15, 2002
stock carb, not sure how any hours but the bike is in really good shape, physically and the plug was changed not long before i got it and cant tell what it looked like as a well used plug...

thanks fella's

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
check the air screw. Should be about 2-2.5 turns out from full in.

Other than that, start doing maitenance on the bike. Clean the air filter, check the reeds. Tear down the carb and clean it. Also check the jetting on the bike and the needle clip position. If all that checks out, then check the muffler/sa make sure that is not obstructed. How is the pipe?

Now if all that checks out, then do a compression test and be prepared to do a top end on the bike.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Tell us a little more about the bike. Is the bike stock (pipe, reeds, airbox lid, etc.)? What premix ratio are you using and what altitude do you ride at?

From the little you've said, it sounds like the classic KDX rich-jetting issue. Check out these articles on the JustKDX website. There are some good starting jetting recommendations at the end of the carbtuning article.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/newprep.html

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/hopup.html

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That 'sputtering' is the bike 4-stroking (firing every other top-dead-center event like a 4-stroke does. A 2-stroke fires EVERY TDC event).

Akin to what the bike (likely) does on a cold-choke start. ....which is normal, if that's what you're referring to.

Anyway, that IS a too-rich indication...as BRush said.

A too LEAN situation shows a poor throttle response symptom...but it's more of a fall-flat W-A-H sound.

While reeds should be changed about once a year on GP..yours are probably ok. Much more likely to be a jetting issue. CDave's site will help you out a huge amount on that part.

With the associated items done (air filter, new plug) the main jet is the first circuit to check..and that REQUIRES a WOT plug chop test. If you try going the other way 'round (adjust the 'lower' circuits first), you'll end up chasing your tail.

That said...a '7' plug will work better most of the time...unless you're quite an aggressive rider. A bit hot...but will run better. A good choice, too is an '8EG' plug. The oem heat range..and a fine wire to boot. Won't eliminate fouling or blubbering..but will work better longer in marginal (read 'poor') jetted conditions.

Good luck! A lot of riders shy from jetting in general cuz it's perceived to be a big hassle. It's also the single largest favor you can do for yourself. Learn how to jet for different situations and weather conditions and you'll have a MUCH better running bike than the rider that doesn't bother with it!

Last edited:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
how do you feel about jetting? after you check the maintenance stuff that is.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You talkin' to me?;)

I'm kinda ambivalent about it.

........whatever.........

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…